THE SLAVENBURG FAMILY PAGE
Of course, it would be of great interest to know how the name Slavenburg came to be, or why one of our Ancestors would have given or taken this name as his family Surname. Having found most information relating to this Surname, in the archives of the City of Vlaardingen in a book which contains the history of the beginning of our family name.
Much more of the family history was made in the City of Schiedam.
The book, which was published in the year 1772, has records of a quarry named SLAVENBURCH. Written by Mr. P.G.Q. Sprenger van Eyk, it relates to the connection of the City of Vlaardingen with the name Slavenburch, there was also a jail and hospital baring the same name. It is known that these places have had a direct connection with the "Galeislaves", which were slaves coming from out of the east (later becoming Hollanders).
When St. Willbrord, the 1st Bishop of Utrecht, first settled in the Castle and Tower in the year 700, it would still have been named the SLAVENBURCH. At a much later time around 1601 it became clear that another origin, or continuation of the name SLAVENBURCH was established and that a "CORS PIETERSZN" born around the year 1592, a carpenter of his trade came to be the first person to use the name SLAVENBURCH as his family Surname. This CORS PIETERSZN worked together with a cement worker, or bricklayer, named JACOB GERRITSZN SCHOUTEN. Whose name at the same time appeared in the archives of Vlaardingen and was a master cement worker. Later it became clear that CORS PIETERSZN, himself a master carpenter, may have worked together with Cement worker SCHOUTEN on the Jail from which the family name SLAVENBURCH may have been obtained.
That CORS PIETERSZN also wanted a family Surname was not unusual in these times.