Genealogy.com
Big changes have come to Genealogy.com — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
 
Learn more

Community

Search

Family Finder
First Name:
Middle:
Last:
 

Ancestors of Robert Steven Smith/Andrea Anne Mills Home Page

Updated January 17, 2007

About Our Family Research


William Smith & Jane Smith

William was an inkeeper at "THE BLACK BULL" in ,situated at Moffat, Dumfrieshire, Scotland. It is not known at what date this was. He was know as "Willie of the Bull" in Scotland . "THE BLACK BULL" was a popular place during the years of Robert Burns. Robbie Burns wrote on the window glass of the inn with a diamond ring the comment, "Ask God why he made the gem so small." Proof of this is evident on a plaque placed near the window of the Black Bull, which is still standing today. It was know to be have been in existence in 1618.

William and his wife, Jane, and their son, William Jr and his wife Ellen Bell, who lived at "The Hill", a town nearby Moffat, emigrated from Lockerbie, Scotland to North America in 1832 with some of their family, setting sail from Ruthwell Village. They first settled in New York City, before moving on to Hyde Park, Dutchess County, New York.
William Jr married Ellen Bell, daughter of George Bell and Janet Hetherington, in the Parish of Cummertrees, Dumfries Shire, Scotland, about 1823.

William Sr. and Jane's daughter, Agnes, met and married John Peter Kingston in 1839 while they were living in Hyde Park, Dutchess County, New York, where William Sr. was managing the White Spring Farm. It was there that William Smith Jr. and Ellen Bell had 4 children. In 1842, William and Jane Smith, and the rest of the family followed the Kingstons to Canada via Port Huron, Michigan and Sarnia, Ontario and travelled east of some 25 miles, carrying their few belongings to the Anglican Church "Glebe" Farm, situated on 15 sideroad, near the main road (now Warwick Township, Lambton County, Ontario).where they lived for a short time with Rev. Mortimer, before they settled on farms on the fourth line of Warwick; William Sr. on Lot 15, S.E.R., and William Jr. on Lot 14, Con 4, S.E.R. Jane Smith died in 1857 and her husband William died in 1860. They are buried in the Watford Pioneer Cemetary.
This part of "Upper Canada" was a densely wooded area with very basic trails and roads. Homesteads were being set up in the thick primeval forest.

In 1842 a document (still in existence among family papers) tells of an agreement between William and Hugh McDonnell, a Sergeant in the "Glengarry Fencibles" to purchase 150 acres of land. An "Indenture" agrees to a down payment of 37 pounds, ten shillings to McDonnell on June 12, 1843. Here William and Ellen set up the original homestead, consisting of a log house and barn. Remnants of the original house still stand as of 1990, and was used to house farms animals. As of year 2000 these buildings no longer exist. The original andirons of the fireplace in the old log house are still in the posssession of family members.

William was 37 years old when he became ill of what is now thought to be apendicitis and died, leaving Ellen with her family of three to carry on with the farm work. This was around 1849, as his son, William(3) was 16 years of age. This according to a letter written by Helen Marguerite Smith.

Note: At this time the area near the homestead was called Brown's Corners in Upper Canada. This was situated at the 4th line and eighteen sideroad. This was on the northern border of Watford.

 
Contact the Author


 

Home | Help | About Us | Site Index | Terms of Service | PRIVACY
The content shown on this page has been submitted by a Genealogy.com customer, and is not subject to verification by Genealogy.com. Neither Genealogy.com nor its affiliates are responsible for the accuracy of any information contained on this page. The opinions expressed on this page are the author's alone and not the opinions of Genealogy.com.
© 2011 Ancestry.com