ADAM GILMOUR SWEEZEY - 'King of the Mixed'
Updated March 17, 2013
|About Our Family Research
Born of a railway father who was born of a railway family, Adam Gilmour Sweezey (1890-1967) became the 1st conductor on the 1st train from Port Arthur to Hornepayne, when the transcontinental line was completed in 1915. Adam’s father, Samuel Biggs Sweezey of Pembroke (1861-1921), was a roadmaster for the Temiskaming and Northern Ontario Railway in the early days of that line and a railroad man all his life. Addie Sweezey was featured in Ripley’s Believe It or Not – His 3 sons are CNR railmen and 3 of his daughters married CNR railmen. Over 50 years a railroader, on his final trip, May 31, 1955, Addie's 3 sons worked the train with him between Foleyet and Capreol. Gilmour was assistant conductor, Donald and Ronald were brakeman. See Family Photo #22 – “THE CABOOSE”.
An old Capreol saying...
Snow in the winter,
Black flies in the summer,
Sweezey's all year 'round.
(viewing trees requires 4.0 or later browser)
- Elizabeth Ann Sweezey Family Tree (11 KB)
Families of Elizabeth Ann Sweezey (1815-1897) & Samuel Biggs (1811-1905). Sister of Aaron Sweezey 1810-1888
- Adam Gilmour Sweezey Family Tree (23 KB)
Aaron Sweezey (1746-1815) to Capreol, Ontario. Scroll to the right, Right Click an ancestor and “Make Primary Individual” to view complete Tree.
- Jessie Rankin Sweezey Family Tree (24 KB)
Families of Jessie Rankin Sweezey (1842-1911) & Jonathon Nichols (1817-1893). Daughter of Aaron Sweezey 1810-1888 & Jessie Rankin 1816-1902.
- Samuel Biggs Sweezey Family Tree (25 KB)
Families of Samuel Biggs Sweezey (1861-1921) & Margaret Jane Edwards (1863-1937). Son of Aaron Sweezey 1810-1888.
- Fraser Family Tree (11 KB)
Family of Alice Sadie Elizabeth Fraser Sweezey. Right Click an ancestor and "Make Primary Individual" to view complete Tree.
- 1- JESSIE RANKIN SWEEZEY'S (141 KB)
Jessie Rankin 1816, 1842, 1857 (2), 1866, 1878, 1894. Not shown are Jessie Rankin Sweezey 1870-1955 & Jessie Rankin Hughes 1866. Courtesy of the Sweezey and Rankin Clan's.
- 2a- ADAM GILMOUR SWEEZEY and FAMILY (103 KB)
L to R-Gilmour Biggs, Donald Addie, Ronald Clinton, Adam Gilmour, Alice Sadie, Vernon Elizabeth, Norma Gleama, Doris Beulah, Geraldine Vera
- 2b- FRASER FAMILY TREE (149 KB)
Family of Alice Sadie Elizabeth Fraser Sweezey
- 2c- SIGNING the REGISTER for the LAST TIME (24 KB)
Chief Dispatcher Bill Quinn and Addie
- 3- RIPLEY'S BELIEVE it or NOT !!! (158 KB)
Adam Gilmour Sweezey
- 4- FINAL FAREWELLS (46 KB)
Capreol - Young & Bloor & Front
- 5- ADDIE'S RAILWAY PASSES (155 KB)
1918 - 1959
- 6- EIGHT HOURS in the DOME CAR (52 KB)
Capreol (south crossing) to Toronto.
- 7- CANADIAN RAILWAY SPEED RECORD (88 KB)
Adams son Gilmour was on board the Turbo the day it reached 140 mph
- 8- McKEE'S CAMP at MILEAGE 36 (75 KB)
Adam Gilmour Sweezey and Friends.
- 9- WRECK in CAPREOL YARD (204 KB)
- 10- STEAM LOCOMOTIVE 6218 (145 KB)
Adams son, Superintendant Gilmour Biggs Sweezey, was the last person to board 6218 on its last trip, before it was retired to Fort Erie.
- 11- ANOTHER 6218 (44 KB)
- 12- CN RAIL - 6060 (105 KB)
serving Capreol since 1912
- 13- 1947 CAPREOL ROYALS (60 KB)
Top L-Rev.Clinton A.Brittain,Stuart Shane,George Hoag,Jim Miles,Dave Shane,Ken Gustafson,Mr.Clark.Bottom L-Terry White,Doug Mohns,Joe Close,Ron Sweezey,Lorne Adams. Royals formed in 1946 and team took on all comers. Not present when photo was taken were Doug Fraser, Jim Farelli and Stan Martin. Jim was at Scollard Hall and Stan was in Montreal, players returned to play for team during 1947 Christmas season. From 1944-50, the only hockey rink in Capreol was on the Vermillion River in front of Fred Miles house.
- 14- THE SWEEZEY BROTHERS (88 KB)
Reuben William, Samuel Biggs, Simon Fraser. Courtesy of Patrick Owen Sweezey
- 15- SAMUEL BIGGS SWEEZEY at HOLLOW TREE (295 KB)
Samuel on the right in Stanley Park, Vancouver. Courtesy of Patrick Owen Sweezey, descendant of Simon Fraser Sweezey (1840-1923). See photo #46.
- 16- 1953 - 54 CAPREOL MOHAWKS (175 KB)
BACK ROW; Ray Davies,Joey Hanzel,Jerry Scollard,Lorne Adams,Jim Beatty,Harold Mohns,Stan Martin. FRONT ROW; Ray Mohns,Doug Fraser,Norm Giroux,Hank Sprega,Les Laird,Ron Sweezey,Lyall Shane,Doug White,Terry White. Mohawks were an Intermediate team competing against district teams like Chelmsford, Tom Armstrong's Garson Native Sons, Red McCarthy's Espanola Eagles, Sudbury Caruso Miners and Sudbury Donovan sponsored by International Hotel, Rubic & Babys. The Mohawks formed in the fall of 1951 and final year was 1957. Photo is from January 1954.
- 17-SWEEZEY MIGRATION to CANADA (34 KB)
300 years to Capreol
- 18- FINAL WAGON RIDE (107 KB)
L to R;Barbara & Bobby McLeish,Wallace McKee,Alice and Adam Sweezey,Ralph Westerman,Abe Sweezey & little Douglas McLeish on right side platform
- 19- TIME MAGAZINE COVER - 1955 (171 KB)
See 'Related Files'- King of The Mixed.
- 20- SAMUEL BIGGS SWEEZEY (69 KB)
- 21-CAPREOL POLICE (178 KB)
Then and Now
- 22- "THE CABOOSE" (80 KB)
Top L- Donald Sweezey,Ronald Sweezey Bottom L- Roadmaster George Warner,Adam Sweezey,Gilmour Sweezey
- 23- CAPREOL PLATFORM (24 KB)
L to R;Abraham Edwards (Abe) Sweezey,Richard McCoy (Dick) Sweezey,Adam Gilmour (Addie) Sweezey,Chief Dispatcher Bill Quinn,RoadMaster George Warner,Dave Fraser
- 24- THE SWEEZEY VIRTUAL CEMETERY (157 KB)
Drop in and visit dearly departed kin. Click "Search for a Tombstone" at top-left & enter a surname to see index.
- 25- CAPREOL CARWASH (191 KB)
Summer of '83
- 26- PIGGYBACK (26 KB)
L to R- Frank Beaucage,McKee worker, Addie, McKee nephew,Charlie Hindson
- 27- HAVING a FEW SHOTS BEHIND ADDIE'S GARAGE (68 KB)
Ron Sweezey in his Chicago Blackhawks sweater-March 2, 1945.
- 27b- SWEEZEY'S OF PEMBROKE GRAVE MARKERS (68 KB)
L to R - Mary Elizabeth(1845-1881), Simon Fraser(1840-1923), Aaron (1810-1888).
- 27c- CAPREOL RIVER (elephant) (92 KB)
Summer & Winter
- 28- SAMUEL BIGGS SWEEZEY with WIFE and the BOYS (51 KB)
Front L to R- Richard McCoy(Dick),Margaret Jane Edwards,Samuel Biggs. Back L to R- John William(Jack),Abraham Edwards(Abe),Adam Gilmour(Addie),Aaron Thomas(Ernie)
- 29- JESSIE & DANIEL SWEEZEY (182 KB)
Samuel Biggs Sweezey siblings, Jessie Rankin Sweezey(1842-1911) and Daniel Rankin Sweezey(1836-1903). Photo courtesy of Darlene L.eat
- 30- 1950 CAPREOL COMBINES (215 KB)
Back L;Jack Leigh,Harold(Chun)Campell,Jim Gray,Bill Ouellet,Stan Martin,Wilfred Lepki.
Front L; Lorne Adams,Ron Sweezey,Fred Moir,George Hoag,..?.., John Lambovitch,Jack Boudreau.
- 31- 1952 CAPREOL WOLVES (196 KB)
Back L;coach Stan Martin,Eli Martel,Joey Hanzel, Jerry Scollard, Ross Fines,Jack Barrand,Buddy Walsh,trainer Doug Fraser.
Front L;Lyall Shane(broken arm),Doug White,Jim Holmes,Neil Gleason,goalie Bruce Miles,Aime Charbonneau,Bill Massey,Pentti Hiironen,stick boy Bert Perkins.The following year team changed to the Capreol Flyers and finished season in first place. Flyers beat Espanola and North Bay, lost to Sault Ste. Marie in Northern Ontario finals.
- 32- 1961 DOUG MOHNS by TEX (180 KB)
Doug Mohns by TEX Coulter from a November 1961 Hockey Pictorial magazine.
- 33- 1950-51 BARRIE FLYERS (145 KB)
Memorial Cup winners
- 34-1932 (Capreol) Canadian Girls in Training H/C (89 KB)
L to R; Dulcie Studer, Freda Adair, Millie Deavy, Enid Studer, Phillis Stoddart, Frances Tye, coach Neil Young, Isobel Kilgor, Bernice Boyd, Dot Boyd, Marion Deavy, Emma Nepitt, Helen Nepitt. See photo #54.
- 35- ADDIE AND THE FAMILY (42 KB)
Bottom L- Alex McLeish,Ron Sweezey,Alice Sweezey,Adam Sweezey,Don Sweezey,Gil Sweezey,Abe Sweezey. Kids center L- Doug McLeish,Gil Sweezey Jr.,Bill McLeish,Bob McLeish,Barbara McLeish,Susan Sweezey,Harvey Auger,Bonnie McLeish. Top L- Ralph Westerman,Joyce Sweezey,Jean Armstrong,Doris McLeish,Grace Sweezey,Katherine Sweezey,Norma Auger,Gladys Blackwell-Sweezey.
- 35b- RAILWAY SLANGUAGE (186 KB)
Phrases from the early days of railroading.
- 36- 85 in 1980 (31 KB)
Adam's wife - Alice Elizabeth Sadie Fraser
- 37- ADAM GILMOUR SWEEZEY (22 KB)
Canadian National Magazine - July 1956
- 38- THE 'MIXED' #217 LEAVING CAPREOL (25 KB)
Addie on board the 'Fisherman's Special'. Photo is from a Real Photo postcard.
- 39- MYSTERY PHOTO (42 KB)
Who is the little guy in front of Nepitt's store, abt. 1930?
- 40- ADDIE with 14 of 20 GRANDCHILDREN (32 KB)
Front L- Dixie Lee,Michael Lee,Gil Sweezey Jr.,Bill McLeish,Barbara McLeish,Susan Sweezey,Douglas McLeish,Donna Auger,Alex'Oggie' Nepitt. Back L- Ron Sweezey,Harvey Auger,Bob McLeish,Adam Sweezey,Bonnie McLeish,Allen Auger,Judith Nepitt,Gil Sweezey and Alice Sweezey in fur coat. Don Sweezey climbing down from caboose and Richard "Dick' Sweezey wearing fedora behind Bonnie. 6 remaining grandchildren,Brenda McLeish,Sherry Lee,Sandra Nepitt,Patrick,Marty and Danny Sweezey not present.
- 41- BURIAL SITE of AARON SWEEZEY (1745-1815) (85 KB)
Near Callendar Beach in Kougchibouguac National Park. See "The Sweezey's of Miramichi" file.
- 42- NEPITT'S STORE - 1923 (64 KB)
Addie would fill his orders at Nepitt's Store and deliver the supplies to the farmers, trappers and fishermen along the tracks between Capreol and Foleyet.
- 43- NEPITT'S STORE TODAY (35 KB)
Alex Nepitt Sr. had previously owned a General Store in Sellwood and in 1923, using bricks made in the old kiln at Sellwood, built the "Nepitt Block" in Capreol at 78 Young St.
- 44- 1965 TERRY CRISP (109 KB)
Terry's rookie year with the Boston Bruins. See capreolonline.com, in the 'Looking Back' section for a bio. on Terry.
- 45- ENJOYING RETIREMENT (34 KB)
Addie at Westerman's Camp
- 46- PATRICK R. SWEEZEY at HOLLOW TREE (126 KB)
Stanley Park, Vancouuver-2007. Hollow Tree is a 700-800 yr. old red cedar, 40 ft. circumference. See photo #15.
- 48- HEAD ON - Feb. 17 1936 (108 KB)
Freights 404 and 403 meet 3 miles west of Capreol
- 49- THE SWEEZEY CREST (110 KB)
- 50- COAL SILO'S at SPADINA ROUNDHOUSE (55 KB)
Great spot to watch the Toronto air-show from!
- 51- ANOTHER STOP on THE LAST TRIP (23 KB)
Journalist King Whyte,Addie Sweezey and Robert Glasgow. See "King of the Mixed" file.
- 52- 1935 Capreol High School - Form III (74 KB)
Back Row L to R; Jack Virtue, Dot Boyd, Edna Conron, Balfour Thomas. Center; Dreana Sweezey (daughter of Richard McCoy Sweezey), Dulcie Studer. Bottom Right; Emma Nepitt. Not shown is teacher Miss Anderson. In August 1935, the Dept. of Education raised the school to the status of full High School. This meant that the pupils could get all 5 forms of high school in Capreol.
- 53- CNR Spadina Roundhouse & Turntable - Feb.1984 (52 KB)
Now home of the Toronto SkyDome.
- 54- FRED SLOMAN (292 KB)
Fred Sloman was inducted into the Canadian Railway Hall of Fame in 2003.
- 55- FLOYD THOMSON goal-mouth scramble with Dryden (167 KB)
See capreolonline.com, in 'Looking Back' section for bio. on Floyd.
- 56- THE SWEEZEY CLAN with AARON 1810-1888 (168 KB)
Standing L to R; Aaron,Jessie, Simon, Daniel. Sitting L to R; Rueben, Samuel Biggs, great grandfather Aaron Sweezey, great grandmother Jessie Rankin, Katherine, Benjamin. Photo courtesy of Darlene Leat, descendant of Elizabeth Ann Sweezey (1815-1897) & Sam Biggs (1811-1905).
- 57- ADDIE'S FINAL TRIP (300 KB)
Leading the way on Mixed Train 218 was the Mikado-type steam engine #3395. The Mimico engine was transferred to Capreol one month before Addie’s final trip on May 31, 1955. In March 1958, 3395 was taken out of storage at Capreol for three months of service. Under tallow again on June 22, 1958, her next stop was the Allandale dead line in the fall, until at least 1961.
- 58- COUSIN AARON of PEMBROKE (170 KB)
Is this Aaron Thomas Sweezey (1883-1958)? This Aaron was cousin to Annie Sweezie Anderson (b.1890) in Pembroke. Images courtesy of Darlene Leat. See Photo #28 for Aaron Thomas and family.
- 59- ELIZABETH & ERNEST FRASER (107 KB)
The parents of Addie's wife, Alice Elizabeth Sadie Sweezey (1895-1981). Ernest Fraser; May 17, 1870 - ?. Elizabeth (Allen) Fraser; March 17, 1873 - Jan. 7, 1909 and she is buried in Holy Family Cemetery, Britt, Ontario. 1911 census shows Alice's brother, Samuel Fraser (1893-1942) as head of family. Also living with family in 1911 is grandmother Priscilla (Garneau) Fraser, born Dec. 1837 in Quebec. Photo courtesy of Jean Tagliabracci.