Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Descendants of James RICHARDSON-June 24, 2003

Generation No. 3

6. JAMES LAFAYETTE3 RICHARDSON (WILLIAM FLUKER2, JAMES1) was born 26 August 1841 in Tishomingo Co, MS, and died 05 July 1919 in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS. He married (1) CANDACE ... She was born Unknown, and died Unknown. He married (2) MARY ELIZABETH MOSER 11 July 1867 in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS6, daughter of THOMAS MOSER and MARIAH RICHARDSON. She was born 05 September 1849 in Tishomingo Co, MS, and died 28 June 1936 in Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.

Notes for J
James Lafayette Richardson was the son of William Fluker Richardson and wife Louisa Canfield. He can be found on an 1850 county census in Tishomingo County, Mississippi living with his parents and three of his siblings -- John, age 6, William, age 3, and Martha age 3/12. James was 9 years old at the time of the census.

Prior to his marriage to Mary Elizabeth, James L. Richardson married a lady named Candace. This told to Loraine Patrick by her aunt Lucy, who said she had been named in part for this first wife. She apparently was an innocent young girl, probably unprepared for married life, got homesick, and ran off home to her mama after being married only a short time. Loraine wondered if being married to a cripple was too much for her. There is a stone at Guys Cemetery inscribed "Candace Richardson" with no dates. This may be the first wife of James.

James L. Richardson as a young man of about 12 or 13 had been thrown from a horse, and he landed on a stump, breaking his back (according to Loraine Patrick, or hip, according to Cecil Binford), and resulting in one leg been crooked and useless. Cecil adds that the doctors in that day didn't know how to fix a broken hip joint, so the leg just swung useless. In Loraine Patrick's memory, he walked with one cane and a crutch, later walking with two canes.

She continues that when she and Mary Ada would get to chasing each other, he would reach out with his cane and hook one of us by the ankle. She remembers the hard fall, but she quit running...that day.

Cecil describes James Lafayette Richardson as having "dark brown eyes and almost black hair. Grandpa had a little Vandyck beard."

1867 - James Lafayette and Mary Elizabeth Moser were married in Corinth, (then) Tishomingo County, Mississippi on 11 July 1867. J. L. Richardson and John A. Cathey gave bond of $200 on 6 July 1867. The couple was married by E. C. Gillenwaters, minister. The record is on page 36 of marriage book 7 in Alcorn County, Mississippi.

In a June 1994 trip to Corinth, Mississippi, my daughter, Lori, and I visited the courthouse at Alcorn County. The old marriage records could not be photocopied because of their age, but the circuit clerk, Jerry Moore, kindly allowed me to carry the big book to the window and photograph it in natural light. He also completed a certified copy at no charge.

The grandchildren called James L. "Paw-paw." Some of the family believed he had a club foot, but Loraine declares her story to be true about the injury. Cecil Binford also adds that she saw his bare feet many times and there was nothing wrong with them. He was a teacher and for a time traveled to various country schools for a week at a time, having room and board with a different family each week. (Loraine Patrick story)

He taught school at the Academy (in Corinth) until it became too hard for him to climb the stairs. Then he became County Superintendant of Education and had an office on the first floor. But any time a teacher was absent, he would teach her class, no matter what the subject. He was well educated and had a good library.

Finally, he got out of education and went into the tax assessor's office and worked there until the twins (Annie and Annis) insisted that he retire. Even then, he drove around and sold educational books.

On Sundays, he would sit in the front pew in church, and one Sunday, the preacher got carried away and pointed at him and said, "Thank God there'll be no cripples in Heaven!" The rest of his life, Granny teased him that he couldn't go to heaven. (Loraine Patrick story)

The childrens' dates are entered into the Richardson family Bible. I have a copy of the family pages, which was in the possession of Jewel Richardson, my grandfather.

1869 - Deed book AA in Tishomingo County, Mississippi, page 362, contains a 7 Apr 1869 deed between R. H. Allen and J. L. Richardson where J. L. Richardson purchased for $310 a tract of land in the county: Beginning 10 poles east from the southwest corner of the north half of the southwest 1/4 of Section 18 Township 2. Runs even east thence east one hundred and twelve poles to a stake. Thence north thirty nine poles to a stakes. Thence west 112 poles to a stake. Thence north (south??) thirty nine and three eights poles to the beginning. Containing twenty-seven and one half acres together with appurtenances.

1870 Alcorn Co., MS, p. 276,
Township 1 Range 6, Corinth P.O., 28 Jul, 32/32:
RICHARDSON, Jms., 28, school teacher, $0, $0, MS;
      Mary, 20, MS;
      Lucy, 2, MS;
      William, 1, MS.

1880 US Census - On the 1880 Census, the family is shown operating the county poor house in Alcorn County, Mississippi -- Volume 1, ED 2, sheet 23, (page 24) line 31, dwelling 165, family 166.

Richardson, J. L. age 39, keeps poor house, cripple. b. MS; father MS, mother AL
Mary E. age 30 keeps house. b. MS, father MS, mother TN
Lucy age 12, daughter, at home, at school. b. MS, parents b. MS
Birdie E., daughter, age 9 at home. b. MS, parents b. MS
Joseph W. age 7, son, at home. b. MS, parents b. MS
Louis, age 5, son, at home, at school, b. MS, parents b. MS
Minnie age 3, daughter, at home, b. MS, parents b. MS
Jimmie, age 2, son, at home, b. MS, parents b. MS
(unnamed) age 4 mos. son, at home, b. MS, parents b. MS
(unnamed son would be David Pearl, born 23 Jan 1880)
(also 3 unrelated farmworkers)

Cecil Binford adds of this time: "The county paid Grandpa to run the 'poor farm' and he stayed there only 2 or 3 years. They lived in a separate house from the 'inmates.' They had a separate house for the men and another one for women. The only inmate to stay in the managers house was a teenager named Alice, whom Grannie was protecting from the men on the place, and also teaching how to cook and keep house. Grannie always told her, 'Wash your hands, Alice,' before she touched food or dishes. When I was little (Cecil), Grannie got a letter from that girl, thanking her for taking care of her and teaching her, and she signed her letter, 'Wash your hands Alice.' The inmates who were able made gardens and there were negroes who did most of the gardening. They did no farming there except gardens for food."

1898 -- The 1898 Alcorn County, Mississippi Tax Assessment shows several Richardsons living there and being taxed.

1900 - The 1900 Census shows additional children. The family is in SD1, ED 8, Sheet 12, Alcorn, Mississippi. Dwelling 168, family 170. Birthplace shown for the parents on the lines for all the children is Mississippi.

Richardson, James L. age 58 b. Aug 1841 in MS. father born NC, mother AL
      School teacher, married 32 years with 12 living children (15 total)
Mary E. age 50 b. Sep 1849 in MS, parents b.MS
Lucy E., daughter age 32, b. May 1868, housekeeper. b. MS
Birdie E., daughter age 29, b. Apr 1871, pants maker, b. MS
Minnie M. daughter, age 24, pants maker, b. MS
Felix P., son, age 18, b. Jun 1882, farm laborer, b. MS
Bissie, daughter, age 17, b. Nov 1883, pants maker, b. MS
Samuel, son, age 16, b. Mar 1884, farm laborer, b. MS
Finch S., son age 13, b. Sep 1886, farm laborer, b. MS
Mattie L., daughter, age 11, b. Oct 1888, farm laborer, b. MS
Allice N., daughter, age 10, b. Nov 1889, farm laborer, b. MS
Annie B., daughter, age 10, b. Nov 1889, b. MS
Jewel M., son, age 6, b. Apr 1894, b. MS

All members of the family can read, write, and speak English.

1907 - A 1907 list of customers for the Sam Sharp & Son Grocery Store in Corinth, Mississippi shows J. L. Richardson as a customer. The store was owned and run by Major Sam Sharp and his son John Benjamin Sharp. Major Sharp died in 1906. A ledger for 1905 and 1907 was found in the attic of J. B. Sharp's widow, "Gabie" Sharp.

1910 - Alcorn County, Mississipi
Corinth, ED 4, SD 1
3 May 1910
Richardson, J. H. (?), 68, married 43 yrs MS/SC/SC, English teacher, public school
      Elizabeth 60, 18 children born, 15 living, MS/SC/SC
      Lucy E., 42 single, no occupation, MS/MS/MS
      Lewis, 35 single, farmer, general farm, MS/MS/MS
      Mattie L., 22 single, no occupation, MS/MS/MS
      Anna M., 22 single, stenographer, MS/MS/MS
      Annie B., 20 single, stenographer, MS/MS/MS
      Jewel M., 16 son, no occupation, MS/MS/MS

The Richardson plot at Henry Cemetery in Corinth, Mississippi, is the second road in on the main entry road from Polk Street. The graves lie as follows:

Cauna Lee Richardson      Sam J. Richardson      Elizabeth Richardson
14 Feb 1891            18 Mar 1884      inf dau of Cauna & Sam
2 Nov 1981            30 Oct 1938      May - July 1913

Finch S.             Lucy E.             Annie R.      Annie R.      J. Wesley
Richardson      Richardson      Moser      Rankin      Rankin
22 Sep 1885      3 May 1868      10 Nov 1889 10 Nov 1889      9 Jan 1886
30 Sep 1957      16 Apr 1943      8 Mar 1976 1 Apr 1983 24 Jul 1974

J. L. Richardson      Mary Elizabeth      (no marker) Louis K.       Mattie R.
26 Aug 1841      wife of JLR            5 Jan 1875 29 Oct 1887
6 Jul 1919      5 Sep 1849            18 Jul 1914 21 Feb 1911
            28 Jun 1936

The Bible record of James L. Richardson and Mary Elizabeth Moser:

In addition to eighteen children, Mary Elizabeth Moser Richardson also suffered two miscarriages. The family also adopted a little baby girl named Bettie, whom they cared for until her death at age five. The child was raised as a twin to Mattie, and Mary Elizabeth considered her one of her own. The baby was visiting her natural grandmother when her gown caught fire and she was burned to death. (She is shown in a photo at Mary E.'s knee. The photo is of a large family grouping taken about 1890, when the twins, Annie and Annis were about 9-12 months old, and before Jewel was born.)

The following record was transcribed from a photocopy of the original Bible of James L. Richardson and Mary Elizabeth Moser.

Mary Elizabeth Moser and James Lafayette Richardson were united in Holy Matrimony at The Scruggs House, Corinth, Miss. on the 11th day of July 1867 in presence of H. S. Brooks and Judge Gillinwaters. Married by Rev. Gillinwaters.


James Lafayette Richardson was born Aug. 26th 1841
Mary Elizabeth Richardson was born Sept. 5th 1849
Lucy Elma Candace Richardson was born May 3rd 1868
William Jefferson Richardson was born July 3rd 1869
Birdie Ellen Richrdson was born Apr 11th 1871
Joseph Wells Richardson was born July 6th 1873
Marcus Taylor Richardson was born Jan 5th 1875
Louis Kavanaugh Richardson was born Jan 5th 1875
Minnie Marvin Richardson was born Jan 28th 1877 (note to side says "27th)
James Solomon Richardson was born Nov 4th 1878
David Pearl Richardson was born Jan 23rd 1880
Felix Dorman Richardson was born June 20th 1881
Harriet Elizabeth Richardson was born Nov 27th 1882
Samuel Jones Richardson was born Mar 18th 1884
Finch Small Richardson was born Sept 22nd 1885
Mattie Lee Richardson was born Oct 29th 1887
Maggie Annis Richardson was born Nov 10th 1889
Annie Bell Richardson was born Nov 10th 1889
Levi Lagrone Richardson was born Mar 2nd 1892
Jewell Moser Richardson was born Apr 21st 1894


James Lafayette Richardson was married July 11th 1867
Mary Elizabeth Richardson was married Jul 11th 1867
Joe Wells Richardson was married April 30th 1902
Bird Ellen Richardson was married Nov 9th 1902
James Solomon Richardson was married Sept 6th 1903
David Pearl Richardson was married Oct 1st 1903
Felix Dorman Richardson was married March 27th 1907
Minnie Marvin Richardson was married March 8th 1905
Harriet Elizabeth Richardson was married Jan 14th 1909
Sam Jones Richardson was married Apr 9th 1910
Jewell Moser (Richardson) was married Sept 23rd 1918
Maggie Annis Richardson was married Jan 4, 1917
Annie Bell richardson was married Jan 4, 1917


James Lafayette Richardson died July 5, 1919, 12:25 am, War Time, Fast Time
Mary Elizabeth Richardson died June 28, 1936
Lucy Elma Candice Richardson (no date entered)
William Jefferson Richardson died Oct 1st 1870
Birdie Ellen Richardson (died) Aug 31, 1939
Joseph Wells Richardson (died) Sept 14, 1940
Marcus Taylor Richardson died Aug 20th 1877
Louis Kavanaugh Richardson died July 18th 1914
Minnie Marvin Richardson (no date entered)
James Solomon Richardson (died) May 17, 1939
David Pearl Richardson died July 18, 1932
Felix Dorman Richardson died Feb 8, 1930, auto accident
Harriet Elizabeth Richardson (died) Oct 22 1937, auto accident
Samuel Jones Richardson (died) Oct 1938, auto accident
Finch Small Richardson (no date entered)
Mattie Lee Richardson died Feb 21st 1911
Maggie Annis Richardson (no date entered)
Annie Bell Richardson (no date entered)
Levi Lagrone Richardson died Oct 12th 1893
Jewell Moser Richardson (no date entered)

From Old Tishomingo School Records, an entry on page 85 refers to James Richardson, as a student, but gives no date. Teacher is A. R. Miller. Page 88 shows a date of July 1858.

Notes for M
From a notes of Roberta Dukes Richardson:

Mary Elizabeth Moser, (often called "Betty") the fourth child born to Jefferson Moser and wife Lucinda Richardson, 5 September 1849, died at 11:45 p.m. June 28, 1936. Married July 11, 1867 in the parlors of the Scruggs House, Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi to James Lafayette Richardson, born August 26, 1841, son of William Fluker Richardson and wife Louise Canfield.

Mary Elizabeth, the industrious daughter of Jefferson Moser who "never broke the pace when he said 'span'" married when she was 18 years old and reared a large family of children to maturity and enjoyed the pleasures of many grandchildren and great grandchildren.

"Grannie was a very strong, matriarch type of woman, very dignified, never sick, never had a headache in her life, was never in the hospital in her life, never mentioned pain or illness or money or bills. She thought when someone said they had a headache they were 'goldbricking.' When she died at 87 years of age, her hair was still dark brown, almost black. She had a lot of grief in her life, but never let it get her down. (Cecil Binford)"

"Two subjects were never, never, never mentioned in our families, illness and money and bills. Illness was considered a weakness and therefore, something to be ashamed of, and as for bills, they were paid in cash without any mention of them, and if the company sent a bill, they were insulted and called it being "dunned."

Mary Elizabeth became a member of the Methodist Church South at an early age, and was an active memeber in all the work of the church. It was said of her by the presiding minister of the Corinth Methodist Church South, on the occasion of her 80th birthday, "Sister Richardson attends church regularly and is an inspiration to the pastor. Age has not decreased her interest in the work of the church, nor taken from her heart that joy that is unspeakable and full of glory. She is happy in the Lord and has reared a large family of children who are blessing the world. I know of no happier home in our community."

In addition to eighteen children, Mary Elizabeth Moser Richardson also suffered two miscarriages. The family also adopted a little baby girl named Bettie, whom they cared for until her death at age five. The child was raised as a twin to Mattie and Mary Elizabeth considered her one of her own. The baby was visiting her natural grandmother when her gown caught fire and she was burned to death.

Cecil Binford recalls: "Another cute habit Grannie had. She wore aprons with big pockets and she always had candy in those pockets for the neighborhood kids, and they all knew she had candy in her pockets. She just loved to have the little kids around. She dearly loved Jackson."

When Granny dressed up to go to church, she didn't walk, she "pranced." And when she got annoyed at someone in the room, she "flounced out." (LPH story.)

"Grannie used to sit at the sewing machine all day, making all the clothes her 18 children wore. One day she was busy at the machine, as usual when Mamma (Birdie) and Uncle Joe (who were pals, being close in age), kept bothering her, so to get them outside to play, she said, 'Go catch some rats and I will make a pie.' She didn't believe two little 5 or 6 year old kids could really catch any rats, but they went up to the barn and proceeded to catch and kill 7 or 8 rats and skinned them and put them in a pan and took them in and showed them to Grannie. She said, 'What in the world is all that?' When they told her, she was horrified and told them to go bury them and wash their hands with lye soap. (Cecil Binford"

Christmas and Mary Elizabeth's birthday were big family events. Cecil Binford said, "At Xmas we'd have 30 or 40 or more of the family at Grannie's. Her cook was big fat Josie who thought she 'owned' the family and had been with Grannie 'forever.' Her mother had been Grannie's cook 'way back."

All the daughters played the piano, except for Bessie. She played the mandolin. Grannie had both a piano and an organ. Birdie and Lucy also played the organ. Birdie sang alto in the church choir.

Grannie and her family were living on the farm that "Little Grandpa" had given her when he divided his plantation among all his children, after the war. They had colored families onthe place and a big fat cook named Maudy. She had a son and daughter Josie who grew up with Grannie's children, almost like one of the family. After Maudy died, Josie became Grannie's cook and was still cooking for her when I got married in 1927 (Cecil Binford).

"Grandpa and Grannie decided to leave the farm and move into town so the children could go to high school. They had gotten all the education the country schools could give them. So they built a tall, two story yellow house on Tate Street at the top of a long sloping hill. The older children, who finished high school, went right to work. The first to leave home and go out West was Uncle Joe. (Cecil Binford)

When they lived at this house "I remember they had a shiny, black surry, two-seater with fringe around the top. Every Sunday, the family piled in the surry and came by and picked me up and took me to Sunday School and Church. Mama couldn't go because she had two sick babies, who later died." (Cecil Binford)

"After it got too hard on Grandpa to climb up in the "runabout," a high shiny black one-seat buggy with red wheels, he sold it and bought a Phaeton that came down to only one step up from the ground. He had a huge red horse named Frank. "

"In about 1924, Grandpa and Grannie built a new house closer to downtown obn Childs Street, because the twins were working downtown and that was too long a walk, especially in bad weather. At that time, there were only two cars in Corinth -- one was owned by the doctor and the other by the town's only millionaire. That house had 7 rooms and a long, wide hall and three porches downstairs and 5 rooms and a big hall upstairs. There was always plenty of room for the family when 40 or 50 came driving in for Christmas or Grannie's birthday or on vacations. It was such a gay and happy time." (Cecil Binford)

In 1925, "Grannie" went on a 3 month trip all over the East with her son, Jewell and his family. "One place Grannie wanted to see was a meat packing plant. I forget which company it was, but the plant covered 10 acres and was all refrigerated. Grannie, up in her 80s, walked all over every bit of it, seeing all the processing, and she caught pleuresy...first time she was ever sick in her life. The doctor tried to get her to stay in bed, but she wouldn't. She sat in her rocking chair, by the window, watching all the people passing by. She just kept a hot water bottle on her side." (Cecil Binford)

Mary Elizabeth died before her 87th birthday, following a long period of illness. Her obituary mentions that her life included a vivid Civil War chapter, including memories of the war, and also including battle scenes during the skirmishing of Confederates and Federals in the vicinity of Burnsville and Iuka. As a young girl, her father ordered her to hide during the fighting in Tishomingo County.

Eleven of her children survived her, including three who lived in Shreveport, Louisiana -- Jewel Moser, Joseph Solomon, and Birdie Ellen.


Cecil Binford adds the following miscellaneous information about people she believes to be cousins of "Grandma Betty":

The family is Scotch, Irish, Dutch and English (her immediate family, which also includes some of mine). That is, the Richardson and Moser lines are. There are Haynes and Jones and Bumpass families connected, but I don't know the exact relationships. Grannie's cousins, Miss Kath Bumpuss and her sister, lived to be 102 and 103 years old.

As for the Haynes, Cecil describes them as a big family living between Corinth and Shiloh on the Turnpike. When Uncle Jim came home for a visit, he always went to visit the Haynes family. She did not know how they were kin. Mr. Hayne's mother was a frail little gray-haired widow who used to visit every Richardson family for a month at a time, every year. The folks called her "Cousin Sue." There were four families of Richardsons in Corinth, so I guess she visited her Haynes relatives the other months of the year.

"When Cousin Sue Haynes came to visit she always made something pretty for the women of the family. She did beautiful handcrafts, especially bead work. She made beaded bags of tiny, tiny beads. When I was about 5 years old, she was on one of her usual visits at our house and she made beaded bags for Mama and me. Mine was small, just right for a little 5 year old, and was lined with cream colored silk. I remember when she gave it to me she said, 'Now this little bag is for your handkerchief and your Sunday School nickel every Sunday.'"

She also says that "Grannie's cousin, Dr. McRae, lived across the street from her and was a doctor and he and his son built and owned the only hospital in Corinth."

1920 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED 3, Pg 16B (pg 32)
HH # 328-413)
Richardson, Mary C.? Head/F/W/70/W/yes/yes/MS/TN/MS/none
-------------- Lucy daughter/F/W/51/S/MS/MS/MS/none
-------------- Finch son/M/W/34/S/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/none

1930 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED1, Beat 1, P. 7-A (13)
HH #168/169
Richardson, Mary E. Head/F/W/80/Wd/No/Yes/MS/MS/MS/none
      Lucy daughter/F/W/61/S/MS/MS/MS/none
      Finch son/M/W/49?/S/no/Yes/MS/MS/MS/none
Patrick, Bessie P.? daughter/F/W/47/Wd/24/MS/MS/MS/Bookkofa/Hospital/6794
      Loraine gr child/F/W/20/S/no/Yes/MS/MS/MS/none
Children of J
  i.   LUCY ELMA CANDACE4 RICHARDSON, b. 03 May 1868, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 16 April 1943, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
Lucy Elma was born in May 1868 and lived with her mother in the family home at 915 Childs Street, Corinth, Mississippi when she was grown. She contracted scarlet fever when she was small and was incapacitated by blindness (the 1880 census did not list her as blind). She had an eye operation as a teenager in Louisville, KY, and stayed with a Clemens family there (narration of Lorraine Patrick Harper).

"Lucy never had scarlet fever, but an eye infection at age 17 got worse and worse until the doctor said the eye would have to be removed. No doctor in town would undertake it, so he sent her to a famous eye surgeoun in Louisville, Tennessee. She went there and stayed with the Clements family, relatives (Mark Twain's folks), until she went to the hospital. Only one eye was infected, but when they operated they damaged the optic nerve so badly that she lost the sight in her other eye. Such a shame! So young and pretty and such pretty, soft brown eyes. They didn't know what caused the infection but believeshe strained it, reading by firelight from the fireplace, late into the night. She was an avid reader and when Grandpa made everyone blow out the lamps and go to bed at 9 p.m. she would sneak back into the living room and read by the fire light. I doubt that is what caused the infection, but the family thought so when they caught her at it one time. A sweeter, gentler, more patient person never lived than Aunt Lucy. She was an angel." (Cecil Binford).

Lucy, according to Cecil, had brown eyes and chestnut brown hair, almost black. She had soft, pretty skin and was about 5' 3" tall. She was quiet, gentle and patient. "Just like an angel."

The obituary of her mother describes her as "symbolic of patience and goodness, she has lived within the four walls of her father's house all her life."

There is a stone apparently, at Guys Cemetery in Guys, Tennessee, inscribed "Candace Richardson." Whether this was a pre-planned burial is not known, but there is definitely a stone for Lucy at Henry Cemetery in Corinth, Mississippi. Note also that the father's first wife was named Candace. There are no dates on the stone, so it cannot be determined whether this is the wife.

  ii.   WILLIAM JEFFERSON RICHARDSON, b. 03 July 1869, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 01 October 1870, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
  iii.   BIRDIE ELLEN RICHARDSON, b. 11 April 1871, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 31 August 1939, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA; m. THOMAS EDGAR RICHARDSON, 09 November 1902, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; married his 1st cousin.; b. 24 December 1876, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 26 November 1963, (see notes) Jacksonville, Duval Co, FL.
Cecil Binford describes her mother as "gray eyes, chestnut brown hair, almost black. Quiet, gentle, never raised her voice. Very patient." Most of the family called her "Birdo" but her sister, Mattie, called her "Bill."

Some dates were given by Rita Richardson Binford Criswell from the Cecil Binford family Bible.

Cecil is the only child of the 9 who survived to adulthood. She wrote very descriptive letters of her memories of her aunts and uncles and grandparents.

"One time when Mama and Uncle Joe were about 5 or 6 years old they got to worrying about whether big fat Santa Claus could really get down their chimney. Grandpa and Grannie had gone to town and left the kids in Mandy's care. She was doing the wash out in the yard in a big iron pot and didn't notice when Mama and Uncle Joe decided to investigate the chimney. They climbed up on the roof and tried to go down the chimney and got stuck and couldn't get up or down, so started screaming for Maudy. She sent her son up to pull them back out of the chimney and since they were black with soot, she put them in the wash tub and scrubbed them with lye soap. Mama said their skinned burned for a week, and that's why she remembered the incident. (Cecil Binford)

"Another time Mama and Aunt Lucy got in trouble. Back in those days, ladies had 'in days,' when callers were welcome and there was always a silver basket on a table by the door where callers left their 'calling cards.' That day Grannie was all dressed up, sitting in the 'parlor,' entertaining the family doctor's wife, all very proper and dignified. When all of a sudden there was a lot of banging out in the kitchen. Noise was forbidden on 'in days.' Mama and Aunt Lucy had found a big 'first biscuit' left from breakfast in the oven, and it had dried out and become as hard as a rock. They couldn't bite it so they got the hammer and put the biscuit on the floor and began hitting it and it kept bouncing about and they were giggling and making a lot of noise. Grannie was embarrassed and they got theirs later..."

Birdie worked as a substitute school teacher.

Mama developed cataracts after she married, but flatly refused to have them operated on after the bad luck her brother, Finch, had (he went completely blind as a result of the operation). He retained his sight for years and years, but finally lost her eyesight in the 1920s. (Cecil Binford)

I remember Mama mentioning that we had Mayfield and Brasafield ancestors.

After their marriage, Edgar and Birdie lived in Memphis for a year or two, but Edgar's mother kept writing to him, begging him to come back to Corinth, so, reluctantly, they did. Edgar built a house on half a city block and had a huge garden and orchard. All his children were born there.

Rebecca Carrier found at under World War I Civilian Draft Registration:
      Richardson, Thomas Edgar, b. 24 Dec 1876, Alcorn, MS

1920 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED 4, Pg 15 B (pg 30)
HH # 327-361
Richardson, Thomas Head/M/W/43/M/yes/yes/TN/TN/MS/laborer/carpenter
-------------- Bird wife/F/W/48?/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/none
--------------- Mary daughter/F/W/15/S/yes/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/none

1930 US Census
Alcorn Co., MS, Beat 4, ED 15, 22 April, Pg 11B (pg 22), HH# 226/259?:
Richardson, Tomas? E., Head, 53, M, TN/MS/TN, Farmer, General Farm;
Bird E., Wife, 59, M, TN/MS/MS, None

Social Security Death Index shows the following:
Thomas Richardson
SSN 266-05-9794
Residence: Florida
Born: 24 Dec 1876
Last Benefit:
Died: Aug 1963*
Issued FL (before 1951)

* Note that this differs from the death date recorded.

  iv.   JOSEPH WELLS RICHARDSON, b. 06 July 1873, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 14 September 1940, Kerns, TX; m. RUBY E. BARLOW, 30 April 1902, Kerns, TX; b. 1887, Kerns, TX; d. Unknown.
"The first to leave home and go out West was Uncle Joe. He learned the railroad telegraph business at Austin, Texas, where he met Ruby Barlow and they fell in love and married. Rev. Hornbeck officiated, and Felix D. Richardson, brother of the groom, was one of the witnesses.

Her folks gave them a vacant lot next door to their house and they built a house on it and lived there until their two children were teenagers. (The address was 2511 Nueces Street, Austin, when Eulalia was married.) By then, Uncle Joe told Mama he was 'fed up' with living so near the Barlows so he left Austin and got a railroad telegrapher's job in Waco. But Aunt Ruby wouldn't leave Austin. So when he had any time off he would go back to see his family and on vacations or special occasions, like Xmas and Grannie's birthday, they all came to Corinth to stay at Grannie's and see all the folks." (Cecil Binford)

Uncle Joe had taught school before he left Corinth to go to Austin. (Cecil Binford)

Corinth newspaper clippings for 1897
Joe Richardson left last Saturday night for Paris, Texas to take charge of his school.

Joe was blonde, had blue eyes, about 6' 3 or 4" tall. Quiet. Smiled a lot, but didn't talk much. (Cecil Binford)

1920 US Census, Texas
ED 154
2 B (pg 3)
Justice Precinct 3
HH # 35-41
Richardson Joseph W M/W/41/M/yes/yes/MS/US/US/Merchant/Dry Goods
Ruby E. Wife/F/W/33/M/yes/yes/TX/GA/TX/none
Joseph B Son/M/W/16/S/yes/yes/yes/TX/MS/TX/none
Eulalia? E Daughter/F/W/14/S/yes/yes/yes/TX/MS/TX/None

1930 US Census
Hamilton City, Hamilton County, TX
Precinct 1, ED 1, 16 April 1930
Page 18-A (p. 35); HH#411/455
Richardson, Joseph W., roomer, 56, Married, MS/MS/MS, telegrapher, railroad

1930 US Census
Austin, Travis County, TX
ED 15, Precinct 3, 18 April 1830
Page 22-A (p. 44), HH#543?/646
Richardson, Ruby E., Head, 48, Married, TX/GA/TX, No occupation
Joseph B., Son, 26, S, TX/MS/TX, Salesman
Eulalia, Daughter, 24, TX/GA/TX, None

  v.   LOUIS KAVANAUGH RICHARDSON, b. 05 January 1875, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 18 July 1914, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
Louis was described by Loraine Patrick Harper as a dwarf or midget who was a rural mail carrier. He took the mail on horseback in saddlebags to Michie and Tulu (in Tennessee) on the Corinth to Shiloh Road. He would lead the horse to the porch and get on and off there. He and Loraine were the same height when she was four years old. Loraine was big for her age.

According to Cecil Binford, Louis was short, fat, and dark and looked like pictures of a little Grandpa Moser. He was crabby.

  vi.   MARCUS TAYLOR RICHARDSON, b. 05 January 1875, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 20 August 1877, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
  vii.   MINNIE MARVIN RICHARDSON, b. 27 January 1877, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. Unknown; m. EMMET C. PATTERSON, 08 March 1905, Rhonesboro, TX; md by Rev. J. P. Walker; b. 29 January 1872, Alex City, AL; d. 23 April 1934, Beaumont, TX.
Cecil Binford says that Minnie was the only one of the daughters who worked at the pants factory in Corinth. She says Minnie hated the work. She described her as "about 5' 3 or 4" tall. Light brown hair, high tempered. Mama said she was always dissatisfied with everything."

1920 Jefferson County, TX
Justice Precinct 6, Beaumont Township, ED 115
P. 9-B (p. 18)
705 Highland Ave.
HH #177-199
Patterson Emmett C Head/M/W/47/M/yes/yes/AL/AL/AL/Deliverer/ice
Minnie Wife/F/W/43/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/yes/none
Minnie C Daughter/F/W/13/S/yes/yes/yes/TX/AL/MS/yes/none
Bessie Daughter/F/W/11/S/yes/yes/yes/TX/AL/MS/yes/none
Jewel Daughter/F/W/9/S/yes/TX/AL/MS/none
Estella Daughter/F/W/8/S/yes/TX/AL/MS/none
Annie Daughter/F/W/6/S/no/TX/AL/MS/none
Annis Daughter/F/W/6/S/no/TX/AL/MS/none
Bernice Daughter F/W/2 8/12 /S/TX/AL/MS/none

1930 US Census
Beaumont, Jefferson Co, TX
ED 43, 9 April 1930, Page 14-A (p. 27)
Patterson, Emmett R., head, $2000, 58, Married, AL/AL/AL, Retail Ice Mfg.
Minnie, wife, 53, Married, MS/MS/MS, no occupation
Estelle L., dau, 18, single, TX/AL/MS, no occupation
Annie P., dau, 16, single, TX/AL/MS, no occupation
Lillian B., dau, 12, single, TX/AL/MS, no occupation
Sarver, Annis J., dau, 16, married, TX/AL/MS
Sarver, Arthur P., son in law, 19, married, TX/US/US, brick mason, buildings

  viii.   JAMES SOLOMON RICHARDSON, b. 04 November 1878, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 17 May 1939; m. EFFIE LETITIA CARLISLE, September 1903, 4th or 6th; b. Abt. 1888, b. East Point, LA; d. Unknown.
Cecil Binford described Jim Richardson as "over 6' tall, brown eyes, dark brown hair, rather heavy, boastful. Absolutely insufferable after he got oil wells on his land."

James Solomon married Effie Letitia Carlisle of East Point, Louisiana.

Uncle Jim developed cataracts after he married, but flatly refused to have them operated on after the bad luck his brother, Finch, had (he went completely blind as a result of the operation). He retained his sight for years and years, but finally lost his eyesight in the 1920s. (Cecil Binford)

1920 US Census
Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana
ED 67 Ward 4
Pg 12 B (pg 24)
HH # 296-285 1639? Johnson St.
Richardson James S Head/M/W/41/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/Manager/News Co.
Effie Wife/F/W/32/Myes/yes/LA/MS/AR?/none
Helen Daughter/F/W/15/S/yes/yes/yes/LA/MS/LA/none
Annettee Daughter/F/W/12/S/yes/yes/yes/LA/MS/LA/none
Margurete Daughter/F/W/9/S/yes/LA/MS/LA/none
Catherine Daughter/F/W/7/S/yes/LA/MS/LA
John Son/M/W/ 4 3/12?/S/LA/MS/LA

1930 US Census
Shreveport, Caddo Parish, Louisiana
ED 41, 2 April,
Pg 1A (pg 29)
1039 Mildred Avenue, HH#8/12:
RICHARDSON, James S., Head, 8000, 50, M, MS/MS/MS, None;
Effie, Wife, 47, M, LA/MO/AR, None;
Margaret, Dau, 19, S, LA/LA/MS, Teacher, Public School;
Kathryn, Dau, 18, S, LA/LA/MS, None;
John, Son, 14, S, LA/LA/MS, None

  ix.   DAVID PEARL RICHARDSON, b. 23 January 1880, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 19 July 1932, at home; Mansfield, Tarrant Co, TX; m. MARGARET LAWRENCE GOLIGHTLY, 01 October 1903; b. 19 January 1874, Gaylesville, AL; d. January 1956, lived Mansfield TX 1935; died Ft. Worth, Tarrant Co, TX.
Cecil Binford described Uncle DP as "blonde, blue eyes, tall and thin. Rather frail after returning from the Cuban War. Stingy."

"(Uncle Joe) got Uncle Pearl to come out to him (at Waco or Austin) after Uncle Pearl got back from the Cuban War and he taught him the railroad telegraph business. Then Uncle Pearl got a job in Mansfield (Texas) and wrote Uncle Punch (Finch) to come and he taught him the trade. He met and married Aunt Maggie there." (Cecil Binford)

D. P. Richardson enlisted in the Spanish American War at Lexington, Tennessee, and served in Company K, Tennessee Fourth Infantry under the command of General Hannah. Soon after the war, he moved to Texas. He worked for Southern Pacific Railroad for 25 years at Mansfield lived in Kennedale, Texas. He last served as agent of the road. He was initiated into the Masonic Lodge and passed to the degree of Fellowcraft and was raised ot the degree of Master Mason by the order of A. F. & AM at Peach, Texas, in 1903. This same year, he became a member of Woodmen of the World. He became a member of the Methodist Church at Kennedale, Texas, in 1911 and served 18 years as Stewart of his church.

He married Margaret Lawrence Golightly 1 Oct 1903 at Winnsboro, Texas.

1910 US Census - Navarro County, Texas
ED 83, SD 6, page 3-B (22) Corsicana City
HH#62-69, 308 North 12th Street
Richardson, David P.
      head W-M-30-M1-md 6 yr-b. MS/parents unknown; Operator Telegrapher
      Margaret wife F-W-30-M1-md 6yr-6/4/3/AL/SC/TN/no occupation
      Minnie L. daughter F-W-5-S-TX/MS/AL
      Henry L. son M-W-3-S-TX/MS/AL
      Ouida daughter F-W-1-S/TX/MS/AL

1920 US Census - Texas, Tarrant Co,
Mansfield, Port Justice Pre no 8
ED 170, Pg 1 A (pg 6)
HH # 1-1
Richardson, David P. Head/M/W/39/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/Agent/Rail Road
Maggie Wife/F/W/44/M/yes/yes/AL/NC/TN/None
Minnie Lou? Daughter/F/W/15/S/yes/TX/MS/AL/none
Oudin Daughter/F/W/10/S/yes/TX/MS/AL/none
Jim Daughter/F/W/4/S/TX/MS/AL

1930 US Census - Mansfield, Tarrant Co, TX
ED 124, 5 Apr 1930, page 5-A (p. 5)
Richardson, David P., Head, 50, M, MS/MS/MS, no occupation
Margurete (?) L., Wife, 56, AL/AL/AL, no occupation
Avida (?) C. , dau, 20, S, TX/MS/AL, no occupation
Jimmie G., Dau, 15, S, TX/MS/AL, no occupation

D. P. died at age 51 at home in Manfield. His obituary appeared in the Fort Worth paper and also in the Corinth, Mississippi, paper. Apart from the organizations and details of veteran service, the article stated that D.P. had been in poor health for a long while, and his death was not unexpected.

On 8 December 1933, C. D. Richardson, his uncle, wrote another nephew that he had visited Pearl and "was very much surprised to find him sick, and since he lived only a short time afterward, I have been very glad I went to see him."

  x.   FELIX DORMAN RICHARDSON, b. 20 June 1881, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 08 February 1930, died in an auto accident; Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA; m. ELIZABETH STADOR, 27 March 1907; b. Bet. 1885 - 1890, Mississippi; d. Unknown.
Cecil Binford described Felix as 6' tall, brown eyes, light brown hair. Quiet, but a nice guy, real nice."

1920 US Census
East Feliciana Parish, Louisians
3rd Ward Jackson Town
Pg 1 (pg 1), HH #13-13
Richardson, Felix Head/M/W/32?/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/Bookkeeper/Store
Elisebeth Wife/F/W/yes/yes/MS/?/?/None
Cont. next pg.
Richardson, Felix Jr. Son/M/W/12/S/yes/yes/yes/LA/MS/MS/none/none
Myrtle? Daughter/F/W/F/W/10/S/yes/yes/yes/LA/MS/MS/none
Staddar Son/M/W/8/S/yes/yes/LA/MS/MS/none
Marjorie Daughter F/W/6/S/yes/yes/LA/MS/MS
Bailey Son/M/W/3 3/12 /S/LA/MS/MS
Joe Son/M/W/1 ?/S/LA/MS/MS
Dickinson, Pearle sister-in-law/F/W/29/S/yes/yes/MS/KY/MS

Felix was on a business and pleasure trip in Shreveport, Louisiana, when he was killed in an auto accident. He and nephew, John Richardson were driving a Model A touring car when Felix fell out and hit his head on the trolley track in front of the Municipal Auditorium in Shreveport. They were attending the Passion Play.

He had been assistant superintendent of the State Colony (home for mentally retarded) at Alexandria, Louisiana. His obituary described him as an eminent citizen, a servant of the state nearly all his mature life.

Felix was a steward in the First Methodist Church South at Alexandria, and also served as a Sunday School teacher. His funeral was officiated by Rev. Cleamenth Brooks.

US Census 1930, Rapides Parish, Louisiana

Alexandria City, Ward 1
3 April, Page 1B (pg 2)
RICHARDSON, Elizabeth S., Head, $5200, 47, Wd., LA/IN/IN, None
Slatter J., Daughter, 18, S, LA/MS/LA, Stenographer, Electric Store
Baily B., Son, 12, S, LA/MS/LA, None
Joe M., Son, 10, S, LA/MS/LA, None
Jane? W., Daughter, 5, S, LA/MS/LA, None
Marjory, Daughter, 15, S, LA/MS/LA, None

The 1930 US Census shows Elizabeth, age 47, born in Louisiana and both parents in Indiana.

  xi.   HARRIET ELIZABETH RICHARDSON, b. 27 November 1882, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 21 October 1937, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; m. ANDREW HOWELL PATRICK, 14 January 1909, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; b. 03 February 1866, from Prentiss Co, MS; d. 18 July 1927.
Cecil Binford disagrees with several items on the 1900 census, including the fact that Bessie was listed as a pants maker. Cecil says that Bessie never worked at the pants factory. As soon as she graduated high school, she went away to Peabody Institute and took a business course, becoming a stenographer and bookkeeper for A. N. Patrick, an architect, whom she later married.

She also taught Annie and Annis to be stenographers and bookkeepers as soon as they graduated high school, and they got immediate jobe; Annis in Memphis for a while, then later for Iam Adams Company. Annie went to work for Rubel's, a large department store in Corinth.

Bessie taught Sunday School for years. (Cecil Binford)

Cecil described Bessie: "Rather tall. 5' 6" or 8". Black eyes, black hair that looked blue in certain lights. Ambitious, rather jealous. She was Uncle Jewell's favorite of all his sisters. Plenty of tember. Great kidder."

Her obituary is dated Friday, 22 October 1937. It says she was struck down by an automobile in front of her house at 915 Childs Street, and she died at 5 p.m. Thursday afternoon. She had a skull fracture and lived nearly a week. The car that hit her was driven by a high school student, Paul Miller. She had been a member of the First Methodist Church and taught Sunday School. She was a plast Matron of the Order of Eastern Star, a former president of the Corinth WCTU and a member of the Corinth Chapter United Daughters of the Confederacy.

Funeral arrangements were made through McPeters Funeral Home. Records of the funeral home confirm all information, including dates of birth and death, cause of death, husband, and parents names, and burial location.


Andrew Howell Patrick was a descendant of Robert E. Lee.

He apparently had been married before he married Bessie, as Loraine mentions a half-sister, Erin, who had a son and grandchildren.

The Patrick coat of arms has "a tiny black lion holding down a green dragon, a copper helmet and copper leaves border, and 3 yellow fleur-de-lis and a shiny white St. Andrews cross. The motto was translated as 'The Brave Shall Yield to the Brave. I took it to mean yield only to another brave." (Loraine Patrick Harper)

  xii.   SAMUEL JONES RICHARDSON, b. 18 March 1884, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 30 October 1938, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; m. CAUNA LEE, 09 April 1910, Grenada, Grenada Co, MS; b. 14 February 1891, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 02 November 1981, Seattle, King Co, WA.
1910 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED 4 SD 1, 1427? Tate Street
15 B (pg 30), 307-320
Richardson, S. J. Head/M/W/26MS/MS/AL /English/labor/sawmill/w/no/6/yes/yes
Connie? Wife/F/W/18/M1/MS/MS/AL/English/yes/yes

1920 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED1 SD1, Beat 1 (part of, excluding Corinth City)
p. 16-B (p. 32), 323/325
Richardson, Samuel J. Head/M/W/35/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/yes/Farmer
------------- Cauna? Wife/F/W/28/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS
------------- Mary daughter/F/W/8/S/MS/MS/MS
------------- James son/M/W/5/S/MS/MS/MS

1930 US Census
Grenada, Grenada Co., MS, ED 2, 11 April, Pg 11B (pg 22), HH#237/291:
RICHARDSON, Sam J., Head, $30,46, MS/MS/MS, Foreman, Planing Mill;
Cauna, Wife, 39, MS/MS/MS, None;
Mary A., Daughter, 19, S, AL/MS/MS, None;
James L., Son, 15, S, MS/MS/MS, None
(Interesting they list Mary born in AL)

An undated obituary seems to belong to Samuel J. Richardson. Sam Jones Richardson would have been age 54 in about 1938:

"Jackson Woman's Father is Found Dead on Roadside"
Mystery Surrounds Death of Sam J. Richardson Near Corinth

Sam J. Richardson, 54-year-old lumberman of Grenada, Miss., and father of Mrs. A. J. Lester of Jackson, was found dead on Highway 45 six miles north of Corinth Sunday morning under mysterious circumstances, his body badly mangled as if it had been struck by an automobile.

A large pool of blood was found...about 100 yards north...the theory was advanced that he may have been robbed before being thrown on the highway...

... A member of a prominent Mississippi family, was connected with the E. C. Thompson Lumber Company of Granada, where he had resided for the past 15years.

Funeral services at McPeters Funeral Home at Corinth, and burial at Henry Cemetery there. Their records show:


  Notes for CAUNA LEE:
SSN 409-26-4582
Residence 98199 Seattle, King, WA
Born 14 Feb 1891
Died Nov 1981
Issued TN (before 1951)

  xiii.   FINCH SMALL RICHARDSON, b. 22 September 1885, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 30 September 1957, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
Cecil Binford gave this descripton of Finch: "Smallest and frailest of all the uncles. Brown eyes, brown hair. Very bitter and crabby after he lost his eyesight."

"(Grandpa) had a huge red horse named Frank. Uncle Punch would start out to the barn to feed him and he would meet him right at the house and pop his teeth and grab Uncle Punch by the sleeve and pull him along (playing with him). Uncle Punch would say, 'Don't you bite me, Frank!" but Frank would keep on popping his teeth and grabbing his sleeve pretending he was going to bite." (Cecil Binford)

"Punch" went to Texas, when his brother, Pearl, wrote him to come, and Pearl taught him the railroad telegraph operator business. Punch got a job in Mansfield, Texas, which he wasn't able to hold long because he developed cataracts on his eyes.

"Uncle Punch" was a telegraph operator at a railroad depot in (Mansfield) Texas, but he developed cataracts and they became so bad that he came home to Corinth to have them removed. Then he lost what little sight he had and he was very, very bitter about that the rest of his life. He never married. The doctors just didn't know much about how to operate on eyes back then...But he learned to go to town to the barber shop, etc. by himself." (Cecil Binford)

From MSGenWeb - McPeters Funeral Home Records, 1957:


  xiv.   MATTIE LEE RICHARDSON, b. 29 October 1887, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 21 February 1911, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
Cecil Binford gives this description of Mattie: "Very frail. Blonde. I remember her as always lying back in that big red Morris chair (it had an adjustable back that adjusted to several positions) with her feet up on a stool and covered with an afghan. Always an invalid. I remember people bringing her potted plants, narcissus, tulips, hyacinths."

  xv.   BETTIE REEVES, b. November 1887, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. Abt. 1892, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
  Notes for BETTIE REEVES:
"(Grannie) bore 18 children (not counting two miscarriages) and adopted another new-born baby, which she brought up as a 'twin' with aunt Mattie. How this came about was this: a neighbor (man) was killed in an accident and that caused his wife to have her baby too early and she died in childbirth. The grandmother was too old and weak to take care of the newborn, premature baby. Grannie had just borne Aunt Mattie two weeks before, so she offered to take the baby and care for it...a little girl named Betty Reeves.

"At first the grandmother objected saying, 'I don't want that haughty woman to have our baby.' Because Grannie was so dignified, she thought her 'haughty,' but there was never a sweeter gentler person than Grannie. When they knew her a little better, they let her take little Bettie and Grannie raised her until she was five years old and loved her dearly. When she was five, she went to visit her grandmother, as she did occasionally, and she got too close to the fireplace and caught her dress on fire and died. They said it was smoke inhalation and that she was not burned much. It nearly broke Grannie's heart.

"My mother was visiting her Aunt, Barbara Ellen, in Little Rock, at the time, and she got the saddest letter from Granning saying, 'Our darling Betty is dead.' It was written on black-bordered stationery and one day I showed it to Uncle Jewell and he begged me for it because he said he had nothing in Grannie's handwriting at all. So I gave it to him. Did you find it among his papers? You see, Grannie was dead and he wanted something in her own handwriting. Of course, the whole family grieved about little Betty. She was adorable, curly hair, and chubby."

  xvi.   ANNIE BELLE RICHARDSON, b. 10 November 1889, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 08 March 1971, St. Petersburg, FL; m. HENRY LEE MOSER, 04 January 1917, double wedding; Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; b. 30 August 1875, Iuka, Tishomingo Co, MS; d. Bef. 1974, living in Memphis TN Aug 1936.
Annie learned bookkeeping and stenography from her sister, Birdie, and worked in the office of Rubel Company, a large department store in Corinth, Mississippi.

Annie taught Sunday School for years. (Cecil Binford)

Annie: Most outgoing, talkative, excitable of all the aunts. Generous, active. But after her husband died she said she felt 'like a 5th wheel' being with Annis and her husband. She got to be rather touchy. She and Aunt Annis had a duplex in St. Pete (Florida). When they were young they were active in Sunday School and church and Eastern Star. Annie was Grand Martha (national), Annis was Worthy Grand Matron (national) and Uncle Jimmy Rankin was Worthy Grand Patron (national) all the same year.

  Notes for HENRY LEE MOSER:
Lee Moser married his cousin, Annie Belle Richardson. He had been married before, but his wife had been dead for many years. He owned a drugstore with a jewelry store on one side and an ice cream parlor.

He had a home in Iuka (near to Corinth), and after their honeymoon, he and Annie moved in that house.

1920 Tishomingo Co, MS
ED 119 Iuka Precinct Beat 1
Iuka Town-North of RR
Pg 1 A (pg 1)
HH # 11-11
Moser, Henry L. Head/M/W/44/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/yes/Merchant/? Store
Annie R. Wife/F/W/30/M/yes/yes/MS/TN/MS/none
Clem S. Son/M/W/21/S/yes/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/yes/In School
Cecil R. Son/M/W/20/S/yes/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS/yes/In School

  xvii.   MAGGIE ANNIS RICHARDSON, b. 10 November 1889, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 01 April 1983, St. Petersburg, Pinellas Co, FL; m. JAMES WESLEY RANKIN, 04 January 1917, double wedding; Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; b. 09 January 1886, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 24 July 1974, St. Petersburg, Pinellas Co, FL.
Annis lived and worked in Memphis, but later took a job in Corinth. She and her sister worked at their same jobs for years until they married. They married just two or three weeks after I was 11 years old (Cecil Binford) and had a double wedding. I played all the wedding music for them. I had been studying piano since I was 5 years old.

Annis taught Sunday School for years. (Cecil Binford)

Annie and Annis were active in Sunday School and church and Eastern Star when they were younger. Annie was Grand Martha (national), Annis was Worthy Grand Matron (national) and Uncle Jimmy Rankin was Worthy Grand Patron (national) all the same year.

Annis and Jimmy Rankin lived in Corinth, Mississippi in 1935 at 702 Madison Avenue, in a brick airplane-bungalow-type home with a large porch. It was still in good condition in 1994.

Annis died in St. Petersburg, Florida. She was 93 years old, and "just wore out" and died of natural causes. "Started running a fever Thursday and was still active and talking to Loraine at noon yesterday when she went to see her. Last night (April 1, 1983), at 10 p.m. she just slipped quietly away. She had been living in that nice nursing home for many years and the nurses were very fond of her. They babied her and petted her and said they thought she was 'cute.' She was active -- up and around, right up to the end. But the nurses were worried about her the past two days because she was running a little fever. Loraine handled all the arrangements in St. Pete and shipped the body back to Corinth. Uncle Jimmy's neice, Loraine Stewart, will handle arrangements in Corinth and she will be buried beside her husband in Corinth (Henry) Cemetery next Tuesday."

SSN 261-98-7054
Residence Saint Petersburg, Pinellas, FL
Born 10 Nov 1889
Died Apr 1983
Issued FL (1965)

Jimmy Rankin owned the only printing company in Corinth, Mississippi. He built Annis a two story brick house right across the street from her parents' home before they were married. So after their honeymoon in New Orleans, they moved right into their own home. (Cecil Binford)

Annie and Henry, Jimmy and Annis were married in a double wedding at their home. Cecil Richardson, age 13, played the wedding music; flower girls were Loraine Patrick and Mary Ada Richardson.

Annie and Henry lived at Iuka, where the Mosers had been established many years. Shortly after they married, they moved to Memphis for a few years.

1930 US Census, Alcorn County, Mississippi
ED 1, Beat 1
P. 9A (17)
Rankin, Wesley Head/5,000/M/W/44/M/30/no/yes/MS/MS/MS/Proprietr/Printery
      Annis R. wife/F/W/40/M/27/no/yes/MS/MS/MS/none

In 1994, the Rankin Printing Company still stood across the street from the Courthouse in Corinth, Mississippi.

Daddy told me that Jimmy Rankin printed the tickets for the town's only movie house. When he was in Corinth, he could walk to the print shop, get tickets, and go to the movies.

Jimmy and Annis were members of the ME South Church. Jimmy was a 32 degree Mason and a member of the Elks as well as a stewart of the church.

SSN 427-92-0077
Residence Saint Petersburg, Pinellas, FL
Born 9 Jan 1886
Died Jul 1974
Issued MS 1962

  xviii.   LEVI LAGRONE RICHARDSON, b. 02 March 1892, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 12 October 1893, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS.
  xix.   JEWELL MOSER RICHARDSON, b. 21 April 1894, Corinth, Alcorn Co, MS; d. 24 October 1969, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA; m. (1) ROBERTA DRUSILLA DUKES, 23 September 1918, 1st Christian Church; Fort Worth, Tarrant Co, TX; b. 01 November 1889, Mansfield, Tarrant Co, TX; d. 09 January 1948, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA; m. (2) VIRGINIA P. .., Abt. 1949; b. 30 April 1903, from Ruston, LA; d. August 1973, Shreveport, Caddo Parish, LA.
Cecil Binford, who is a niece of "Jack" Richardson's described him as: "Brown eyes, light brown hair, great kidder and great sense of humor. Very generous but plenty of temper."

Jewel Moser Richardson was the 18th child of James Lafayette and Mary Elizabeth Moser Richardson, born 21 April 1894 in Corinth, Alcorn County, Mississippi.

Cecil Binford remembers that he was always "so good to me." I remember I could never learn to skate and I wanted to skate so much! So he would let me stand on his feet while he skated so I could get the sensation of skating. Grannie's house was at the top of a hill and I remember that long sidewalk and his skating down that hill with me standing on his feet."

He graduated from Corinth High School in May 1911. Cecil Binford says that he had his first long pants when he got his high school graduation suit. She believed he was only 16 when he graduated. "He went to work for an out-of-town company, not knowing the regular employees were on strike. They caught him and called him "scab" and beat him up so badly that he had to come home to recuperate. He had never heard of "scab" and didn't at first know why they were so furious with him." (Cecil Binford)

(MRB note: Cornpone used to tell me that he was so poor as a child that he had to leave home as soon as he could work. He walked many miles on the railroad track with his belongings wrapped in a table cloth and tied to a stick.)

"As soon as he was well enough, he went to St. Louis (Chillicothe) to a business college. He got typhoid fever and was in the hospital. When he recovered enough, he came home again to recuperate. He was thin as a rail and hungry all the time. Of course, he was not allowed to eat much solid food while he had typhoid. I remember he came over to our house one morning and asked Mama if she had anything left from breakfast. In those days we had heavy breakfasts like steak, fried chicken or ham, etc. Mama said, 'There's some fried chicken left in the dining room.' He said, 'Chicken? Left?' He couldn't believe there would be anything as good as fried chicken left. He ate all that was left...several pieces...with some hot biscuits that were left, then made salt sandwiches by splitting open biscuits and putting salt in them. He was simply ravenous all the time for several weeks." (Cecil Binford)

He was a telegraph operator for four years with the Illinois Central Railroad and with Iron Mountain Railway and later with the Louisiana Railway and Navigation Company. He attended college in 1914-1915 at Chillicothe, Missouri.

"When he was well (from typhoid) Uncle Pearl, who was a telegraph operator for the railroad in Mansfield, Texas, wrote him to come out there and he would teach him how to be a telegraph operator. So he went and got a job there because by that time Uncle Pearl's health had broken down and he had to quit work, so Uncle Jewell got his job. Then Minnie Lou, Uncle Pearl's oldest daughter, introduced him to Roberta Dukes and they fell in love and married."

In 1916 and 1918, he was in Texas with the Southern Pacific Railway Lines as a telegraph operator and an agent. He was stationed at Mansfield, Texas, 1916-1917, also stationed at Bremond and Prairie View, Texas.

He became a Mason in the Blue Lodge at Mansfield, Texas in 1917; became a Master Mason at Hempstead, Texas, in 1918, and Rose Croix at Houston, Texas, in 1919. 32nd Degree and Shrine at Hella Temple, Dallas, Texas. (MRB note: I remember the Shrine ring my grandfather wore. It had a fairly large diamond and the design around it was worn nearly smooth from wear.)

He was married to Miss Roberta Drusilla Dukes of Mansfield, Texas, in the church parlors of the First Christian Church at Fort Worth, Texas, the Rev. T. Anderson officiating, on 23 September 1918. Witnesses were Andrew Jackson Dukes Jr., nephew of the bride; David P. Richardson, brother of the groom, and Thomas Byrd of Ennis, Texas (assumed to be a friend of Jack's?). (When the Tarrant County, Texas, clerk of court was clearing out old records, they gave original marriage records to the Mansfield Historical Society as well as other societies. Beryl Steele Gibson sent me the original marriage license/certificate for Roberta Dukes and Jack Richardson)

(Letter from Beryl Steele Gibson, Mansfield Texas Historical Society 25 March 1983: "By the way, the church in Fort Worth where your (grandparents were) married is an historic landmark. It has survived every attempt at demolition, and it is a beautiful structure." MRB note: I visited this church a year or two later and photographed the historical marker as well as the church parlor.)

Jewell and wife and infant son, Jackson Moser, 3 months, moved from Plano, Texas to Shreveport, Louisiana in about December of 1919. Jewell's brother, James Solomon, was going blind and needed help in his business.

"...Uncle Jim, in Shreveport, wrote to (Jewell) and asked him to come to Shreveport and run his B & B sign system company for him. Uncle Jim had cataracts on his eyes and his sight had become so bad he'd had to hire a man either incompetent or dishonest. Anyway, the business was 'going to the dogs' as Mama used to say. So Uncle Jewell and Aunt Roberta came to Shreveport to live, though they didn't really want to. A few years later, Uncle Jim sold the business to Uncle Jewell." (Cecil Binford)

(Story as related by A. J. Dukes II, son of Lon Dukes, June 1983: "An old boy wanted to get out (of business) before a lawsuit started over advertising and he told Jack, 'For $3,000 I'll sell you my 1/3 interest in this place on credit.' So Jack just bough it. Soon as he started in, another partner wanted to get out, so Jack bought his 1/3 on credit for $3,000. Then the woman who owned the other 1/3, she wanted to get out and she sold her part to Jack for $3,000. So he owned $9,000 for a place that was about to go broke and didn't have any money."

"He went to sell advertising and got a 5 year contract with Cities Service in 5 states and he got a 5 year contract with Sherwin Williams in 5 states and he got a lot of other advertising. He was quite a salesman. He went down to the courthouse and talked them into letting him put up an electric sign there and advertise on the top of the building. He told (a car dealer) that if they'd buy (the advertising) he'd buy a Lincoln and let the sign pay out the payments on the Lincoln. So Jack bought him a new Lincoln every year and let the charges on the sign on top make the payments.

"So he put the (business) over and was making big money, doing pretty good and a fella came and wanted to buy him out and he sold out, seems like it was $125,000, and he and Aunt Roberta took a trip around the world."

"After some years, he too, sold the business for $30,000 and he thought he was rich for life. He had signed an agreement not to go into the sign business for 10 years, but he thought he was so rich he would never have to go to work again. $30,000 was a lot of money in those days." (Cecil Binford)

"Anyway, Jack signed a contract with them that he'd stay out of the business against them but then he went to selling something else, some kind of advertising, and came up here to Fort Worth and he saw that someone had the idea of leasing the land right at the end of a bridge and putting telephone posts up and raising a sign up. They'd never used that in that part of the country. So he went to work the last year before his (5 year) contract was up and leased the property at the foot of all these bridges, got contracts on them, and then put up his signs. The day his 5 years was up he hired him a crew and went putting up these big signs. B&B saw what he was doing so they rushed out to lease some of these places and found that Jack had them all leased. So they came along and gave him another $25,000 for all his leases. Course he signed another contract that he wouldn't start up a new business again. Well, he didn't but he bought a half interest with Stone and that was Stonerich. Not a new business, just bought into an old one. Down in East Texas from Dallas east, it was East Texas Advertising, and in Oklahoma they had another name of it. He did that so people would think they were doing business with a local company, not some fella up in Shreveport."

He served as secretary/treasurer of B & B Systems, Inc. for several months, becoming sole proprietor in about 1920. In October 1923, he sold the business to Mr. Glen McFaddin & Company. It was an outdoor advertising concern (billboards).

In the summers of 1924 and 1925, the family traveled extensively in the U.S., Canada, and Mexico, with Jewell's mother, Mary Elizabeth, accompanying them on the trips.

"...he and his family and Grannie went on a four month's camping trip all over the West, seeing all the points of interest and camping in National Parks. The next summer they all took a 3 month's trip all over the East, seeing historical places, etc. " (Cecil Binford)

In 1927 and 1928, he was field engineer forthe North American Service Company, an outdoor advertising company headquartered in Chicago, Illinois. In May 1929, Stonerich Service Company of Shreveport, Louisiana, was incorporated, with Charles R. "Charlie" Stone as president of the company, and Jewell as secretary/treasurer. The two were equal shareholders in the company. The Texas Service Company, a similar business, was organized in 1931 and merged with Stonerich in 1933.

From February 12 to August 15, 1938, Roberta, Jack and Jackson took a tour around the world, visiting many countries. They embarked aboard the President Harrison around the Atlantic coast line and up the Pacific Coast as far as San Francisco, and then "across the seven seas." They disembarked at Naples, Italy, for a tour of continental Europe. They returned to New York on the SS George Washington. Roberta was hospitalized in New York as a result of her ever-present complications from rheumatic fever.

In the 1950s, Jack retired and his son, Jackson became secretary/treasurer and operator of Stonerich Service Company. Their primary client was Cities Service Oil Company, and they maintained bill boards for the company throughout the south. Cities Service ceased to exist under that name in the 1960s and Jackson himself retired.

Jack enjoyed trips to the Panhandle of Texas both to hunt and oversee the harvest of crops grown on the section of land first owned by Roberta's father, Andrew Jackson Dukes. He stayed in a cabin called "Screwie Louie," but I have forgotten why it was named this. The address was Route 3, Jumbo, Texas. The cabin later burned down. He always sent a telegram for my birthday from this location.

We, as children, called our grandfather, "Cornpone." The story is that Anne, the oldest, called him "grandpa," but as she was young and he was hard of hearing, he said, "Cornpone?!" and the name stuck. We saw Cornpone regularly, and always at Christmas. He always came to the door saying, "Christmas is a-comin' Chillun!" carrying a box of Whitman's Sampler candy and presents for all of us. I don't remember what gifts he made to Mother and Daddy, but each of the children received a $100 savings bond, and Anne and I each received a sterling demitasse spoon. Mine were in Gorham's Strasbourg pattern, and I kept the pattern as an adult.

Cornpone built a house he and Roberta called "The Jewel Box" on a corner lot at 205 Herndon Avenue in Shreveport, Louisiana, and lived there from 1919 until he died in October 1969. He stayed briefly in a nursing home near his home prior to his death. His second wife, Virginia, lived in the home a few years until her death from cancer. The house went to her nephew, or so I was told.

The neighborhood was a fine middle class one, and the schools were good. It was a good place to grow up for Jackson, with plenty of friends nearby. It was close to the church they joined in 1930, Noel Memorial Methodist Church.

Christmases were spent in Corinth, Mississippi, where the huge Richardson family would convene. This occurred until the death of Mary Elizabeth Moser Richardson. After that, the family pretty much went their separate way, with only a few of them in contact. I knew only a few of them, and then by mail only. I'm told that Cornpone, even as a full-grown adult of about 6' tall, would sit on his mother's lap.

My grandmother died when I was small, in January 1948. Cornpone told me that he sat by her grave until the angels took her away. I like to think of them together again in my grandmother's family plot there in Mansfield. I like to think they are young and happy once again.

My memories of the house are spotty, as we spent little time in it. We were uncomfortable around the critical and stern Virginia. The front of the house had a porch with arched eyebrows which led into the living room, a room that was generally forbidden to children. The only recollection I have of the living room is a letter opener which had elephants on the handle, growing from small to large, and windows behind a sofa.

The house was built on a hill, making the back 2 stories and the front only one. On the back of the house was an entry to the basement, where Cornpone and his friends played cards and dominoes. We were allowed there and liked to shuffle the cards with the automatic card shuffler. It always smelled wonderfully of cigar and pipe.

Stairs went up to the second story of the back of the house and led into a porch/room used for relaxing and playing solitaire. Entering the house, there was the kitchen and adjoining that, a breakfast room. I remember eating lunch under the scrutiny of Virginia and being terrified of doing something wrong. I suppose the breakfast room opened to the dining room or living room, but I have no memory of it, nor do I remember seeing bedrooms or a bathroom.

The last time I saw "The Jewel Box" was in about 1995 and its neighborhood had deteriorated. The house was occupied, and in good repair, but was greatly changed. Its beautiful, mature pine trees, under which many an afternoon was spent sitting, drinking coffee, watching the world go by, were gone. I don't think I will return.

Daddy saw Cornpone nearly every day, I think, downtown at the bank and for coffee. Sometimes they met in Daddy's office, which was built as a replica of the Magazine House in Williamsburg, Virginia. I never quite understood what business took them there, but perhaps it was just the visiting. And of course, we saw Cornpone every Sunday at church after Sunday School. We would all meet in the basement of the church where the Men's Bible Class was held. Daddy and Cornpone attended this class (which was also eventually attended by women, too). Mother attended another class.

Smoking was still permitted everywhere in that day -- the 1950s and 1960s, and the room was always blue with smoke -- pipes, cigars, cigarettes -- and the coffee pots emitted their fragrance. I loved the smell of the Men's Bible Class. Cornpone favored light-colored suits, and I remember in particular his having a seersucker suit and wore brown and white wing-tip shoes. Sometimes the shoes were white with little holes all over. He would show me his pocket watch and tell me that there was a bug inside making the ticking sound. He also played games with me with his package of Camels, although I don't remember the game.

I regret not having been able to spend more time with Cornpone to experience the "great sense of humor" described by Cecil Binford.

Towards the end of his life, Cornpone became somewhat senile, and had suffered a back problem. After he was released from the hospital, he came to live for a few months in the office in our back yard. He was happy there, I think. He had a 24 hour nurse and liked sitting on the porch smoking cigarettes and cracking pecans. He would watch Robby playing in the yard. He always seemed glad to see us, and I think he knew us, but was disoriented at times. Our family doctor, Henry Gallagher, came to visit often, even though Virginia had dismissed him.

Virginia was difficult and played havoc with us all. One day, after she had left in a tiff, Cornpone said, "Who was that witch?" He was never as happy with Virginia as with Roberta, but could not bear the loneliness after she died.

Mother always prepared a meal tray for him and took it out back to him. Once he remarked, "I don't know how in the world you run this plantation without any niggers!"

In October 1969, my sister called to tell me Cornpone had fallen in the nursing home and was dead. Daddy drove all night from Canyon, Texas, where they lived, to attend the funeral. Mother's parents had called with the news. Virginia had not bothered.

SSN #433-18-5563. Born 21 Apr 1894, died Oct 1969 (issued LA before 1951); last residence 71101, Shreveport, LA.

1920 US Census Census
Caddo Parish, Louisiana
Ward 4 ED 69
(pg 3)
HH # -26
Richardson, Jewell Head/M/W/25/M/yes/yes/MS/MS/MS
Roberta ? wife/F/W/26/M/yes/yes/Texas/MO/IL
Jackson M. Son/M/W/ 8/12 /S/TX/MS/TX

1930 US Census
Shreveport City, Caddo Parish, LA,
Dist. 44, 4 April, Pg 6A (pg 11), HH#143/145:
RICHARDSON, James M., $6000, 36, M, MS/MS/MS, Advertising, Advertising Plant?;
Roberta, Wife, 36, M, TX/VA/MO, None;
Jackson, Son, 10, S, TX/MS/TX, None;
JEN CLINGMAN, Jenny, Lodger, 38, S, LA/LA/LA, Teacher, Public School;
Rebecca, Lodger, 30, S, LA/LA/LA, Teacher, Public School

These last two were elementary school teachers who boarded with the family and taught in Alexander school, which was just across the street. Jackson remembers them very well. This was during the Depression, and the arrangement was welcomed by all parties.

Roberta Drusilla Dukes, first named "Rodera," was born in 1890, the youngest child of Andrew Jackson Dukes and Martha Virginia Boydstun. Her nearest sibling was her brother, Leonidas "Lon" Sherard Dukes, who was 13 years her elder. Mother was 38 when Rodera was born, and died when she was small.

Roberta was doted on by her Boydstun aunts and led a life of some privilege. When she was very young, the family moved to Lonepine in Mansfield, a large home which had once been a dormatory for a college. The home featured a very large pine tree in the yard. They installed the first bathroom in Mansfield.

From 1899 to 1901, she was educated at Miss Emma Balch's Private School, and from 1902 to 1907 attended the Mansfield Academy, but only September through February. From February through May, she attended Mr. Howard's private School and various rural schools in Flour Bluff Texas near Corpus Christi. The family had a home there, and spent summers enjoying deep sea fishing and other activities.

She said, "Studying was spasmodic with Roberta, due to the urge of her parents to go fishing when ever the weather was suitable. She accompanied her parents in their launch from the 'Sea Side Hotel' to the deep sea fishing grounds, or from their summer home, 'Luff' at Flour Bluff, a fishing village near Corpus Christi. Most of the academic work required of her was from the months of September to February while the family remained in their home, Lonepine at Mansfield...principally in the Mansfield Academy."

Sometime in her childhood, Roberta contracted rheumatic fever, which caused damage to her heart and valves, a condition that would limit her activities the rest of her life.

In 1906, Roberta joined the Christian Church. She stated that the family had belonged to the Christian Church since 1761 (probably her mother's family).

In 1908, she attended music conservatory at Simmons College at Abilene, Texas. The following year, she lived 3 months in New York, NY with a party of students from Polytechnic College in Fort Worth. She traveled on the steamer "Antilles" from New Orleans and studied music and voice under A. Hemphill and Jean DeReske. The group lived near 79th at Riverside Drive in New York.

During the great storm at Galveston, Texas in 1900, when thousands of people were drowned and killed, Roberta and her friend, Frances Ralston, were visiting there, staying in a house near the Galvez hotel. The town at that time had no sea wall, so storms were especially destructive. So many died that there was no time for burials, so bodies were dumped at sea by the hundreds.

They had some notice, and Roberta and her friend, Frances Ralston, busied themselves filling the bathtub and available pots and pans with fresh water. Her father began to worry about her safety in the storm, and as telephone lines were down, went to the train depot and had Mr. Ralston, who was depot agent, wire President Wilson to ask if any ships could land at Galveston. President Wilson wired back that there were battleships offshore, but that they could not land.

A.J. Dukes dispatched his son, Lon, by train to Houston, where he got identification papers to be able to enter Galveston, which was under Marshall law. He met a man there who was the owner of the Galvez newpaper at Galveston, and joined him to meet a boat which was going to Galveston on the bayou. When the boat had reached the Galveston Bay, the water was so rough that they turned back, so they two met it coming back to Houston. They hired a big tug boat for $100 apiece. In the pilot's house, there was barely enough room for the captain, and the two of them, plus the 100 or so other displaced passengers, were forced to make the trip outside, holding on to the iron rails in the storm. They traveled in this manner to the Galveston Bay. On the way, they picked up a party of 21 negroes who had been stranded on an island. One of the men had picked up a pig he found floating in the water and had it under his arm.

The city was under Marshall law, and soldiers immediately questioned them. Lon hired a small boat and he and the publisher first went to the newspaper, pulled up to the 2nd story window, and the publisher went to his building. Then Lon went as far as the boat could get on the streets to Roberta's location. He found her there high and dry, and her building had not been destroyed.

They were able to get a cable back to Mansfield that they were safe. This appeared in the newspaper there. (Story related by A. J. Dukes II, son of Lon Dukes, June 1983.)

She was nearly 30 when she married Jewell Moser Richardson. "Jack" had inquired of his cousin, Minnie Lou Richardson Ball (daughter of David Pearl) about eligible girls in Mansfield, and when her name was mentioned, said, "That old maid?" (Minnie Lou also recalled that Roberta either played or taught piano at the church in Mansfield.)

They were married and led a somewhat itenerate life, moving in 1918 to Prairie View, Texas (near Houston), and then to Plano, Texas, where their son, Jackson, was born. Then in 1919, they moved to Shreveport, Louisiana, where they would stay the rest of their lives.

In Shreveport, Roberta and Jack joined Noel Memorial Methodist Church, and Roberta was instrumental in organizing Beta Study Club. She was a city and state officer of the organization. She also helped organize the Delphian Society and held both local and state offices. She was a member of the Tea & Topic Club, Women's Federation of Churches, Missionary Society, Better Homes & Gardens, and the National Doll Club. She was active in PTA and also joined the Pelican Chapter, DAR (National number 280692) on the service of James Boydstun. She was also a member of the Lineage Society.

She doted on her only son, and kept his baby book current until he was an adult and married. She spent many hours making scrapbooks of the family's travels, and even made some for holidays. Roberta was very interested in genealogy and traveled to Virginia and Washington DC in her effort to find information. She planned to write a book on the Boydstuns, but found that Gustine Weaver had written one and instead, wrote a narrative for her family (three books are in my possession -- this is all that remains).

Roberta died intestate in January 1948, and her estate was probated. An appraisment filed May 13, 1948, in Mansfield, Texas, lists four pieces of property Roberta owned in Texas, being left to her by her father at his death:

1. Lots one to 10, block 44, Mansfield, and improvements      $9,500
This was the property where the McKnight home stood that A.J. Dukes
traded for Lonepine in order to be "closer to town." Jewell Richardson
tore the old house down and built three rental houses on the property.
2. Section 30, block M-7, Castro County, TX            $22,960
This is the "farm" in the Panhandle.
3. Farm, Milton Gregg and Samuel Mitchell Surveys,       $7,605
Tarrant County, TX. This is the land south of Fort Worth
which was farmed for years by Roy Clack. The city spread, making
the land more valuable as commercial real estate. Part of the property
was sold by Jackson Richardson many years after he inherited it from
his father to Pier One, who maintained a warehouse. Other parts of the
property were sold to an individual who defaulted on the payments.
The purchaser also failed to pay taxes on the property, and an auction
was forced to recover the taxes. There were no takers. In 1999, I am
no aware of any further transactions. The property is owned by the
county. It is unsuitable for building, as the substrata of the ground is soft.
4. Lot 20, Block 2, Mansfield, TX, and improvements thereon. $2,000
This may be the building and lot on which A.J. Dukes and William S. Poe
had a hardware business together. The location indicates that it is either
in downtown or close to it. In 1985, the location was occupied by a Western
Auto store.

In addition to the land, Roberta possessed a total of $1,939.72, held in banks in Fort Worth and Hereford, Texas, which was her one-half of community property. She also had one-half community interest in one-half equity in 30 registered Hereford cows, two bulls, twenty-six calves, two mares, two geldings, totaling $3,500. In addition, farm equipment valued at $1,500 under the same 1/4 interest. The total of her state was $48,334. From this, the federal government extracted $595.72 in income tax for the last quarter of 1947, and Texas administration consumed $75.

Heirs listed were her husband and son, Jackson. Her husband inherited for life 1/3 of the estate, with Jackson inheriting 2/3. Inheritance tax paid by Jackson was $154.92.

  Notes for VIRGINIA P. ..:
Virginia's SSN #438-68-4167 shows her birth and death (Aug 1973) and that her card was issued in 1962. Last residence 71101, Shreveport, Louisiana.

[ Home Page | First Page | Previous Page | Next Page | Last Page ]

Search for Family - Learn About Genealogy - Helpful Web Sites - Message Boards - Guest Book - Home
© Copyright 1996-99, The Learning Company, Inc., and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 1995-97 by Matthew L. Helm. All Rights Reserved.