William Bennett Case


William Bennett Case was the son of Thomas Laxton Case and Sarah Israel Case.

Reminiscence of William Bennett Case and his brother, James Michael Case given at the annual Reunion of the Zeb Vance Camp at Mrs. Eugene Glenn's house in August, 1927.

Mr. Case gave the following authentic, and well detailed account of his war service from 1861-1865.

He volunteered May 18, 1861 in Company D, 39th Regiment Captain Gaines, from Bent Creek, Buncombe County. He was in the whole war. Mr. Case was 18 years old in March before he volunteered in May. His brother, James M. Case, is two years younger than he. He was 17 years old in January before he volunteered in 1863. The two brothers from 1863 were together the whole time of the war. In giving his reminiscence, Mr. W. B. Case said: "We are double bound brothers, and as fellow-soldiers."

Mr. W. B. Case has a wife and two living children. He married in September, 1866. His brother has one child, a daughter, his wife is dead.

I went first to Knoxville, Tennessee, from Buncombe County - Tennessee, near Deep Creek. The first cannon I heard fired was at Tazewell, Tennessee. It shot a hole through a Chestnut tree about 50 yards from where I was standing. My next battle was at Baptist Gap, about three miles west of Cumberland Gap. I went into a raid in Bragg's Army into Kentucky, through Frankfort, Versailles, back, partly over the same ground. We had a little fight at Frankfort. We came back through Cumberland Gap to Knoxville, and went into winter quarters at Lenoir Station about 26 miles from Knoxville, We then went down to Lowden, three miles. I was there a short time, and was ordered to Murphreesboro, Tennessee, where we went into the main fight. My brother joined me at Murphreesboro and went through all the rest of the war. From there we went to Shelbyville, and we were sent from there to Mississippi and we were in the fight at Godson, Mississippi, and at Branden early in 1863.

I came back to Chickamauga and was wounded at Chickamauga - shot through the left thigh. I was also wounded in the neck by one of my own men--a little recruit scared to death, shot me through the neck, and part of my collar was buried in my neck. I had my first furlough here--my only furlough, October to March.

I was not able to rejoin my command until March at Mobile, Alabama. I was then sent across to Pollard, Alabama, and from there to Pitts Landing, Florida, to head off the Yankees. After that, back to Pollard's in a long heavy journey of 62 miles. We were ordered to Dalton, Georgia, but took a train as far as Resaca, Georgia, where we had a terrible fight with Sherman's men. We then fell back with J.E. Johnston.

We were in Pollard's Corps in all of the fights around Atlanta for 38 days.

At Lovejoy, under Hood, we went back in Sherman's rear, and went to Nashville. I was in all the fights around Nashville. Fell back to cross the river at Corinth, Mississippi, and was at Spanish Fort, twelve days. We only had 10,000 men and 1,000 little sixteen-year olds from Mobile. General Escamby's Federal report said: "killed and wounded, 23,000." He had about 30,000 in the Union Army.

It was a terrible fight at Spanish Fort. The last fighting was at Mobile. I was in 37 engagements - was wounded slightly three times, badly once. We surrendered at Meridian, Mississippi, and got home May 27, 1865 to Horseshoe, Henderson County.

On September, 1866 in Madison County, North Carolina, William B. Case married Nancy Plemmons. Sometime after this marriage the couple moved to Henderson County, North Carolina, and settled in the Horseshoe Community. It was there that William Bennett Case died September 22, 1933. He was a member of the Horseshoe Baptist Church. He is buried at the Shaw's Creek Campground Cemetery, Henderson County, North Carolina. William Bennett and Nancy Plemmons Case were the parents of three children.