THE SCAMMON FAMILY
The Scammon branch of the family dates back to the original immigrant to this country, Richard Scammon, who arrived in Boston, Massachusetts about 1630. It is believed that he first came to Barbados in the West Indies and later continued on to Boston. He ultimately settled in the area of Portsmouth, New Hampshire about 1640.
The fact that Richard left England when he did may indicate Puritan leanings and an attempt to escape the oppression of King Charles I of England. Some of Richard’s grandchildren were known to be Quakers. Richard’s origins in England are unknown, but there is an area in Yorkshire known as “Scammonden” from which the name might derive. Additionally, there is a record of a family named Scammon/ Sammon in the Norfolk, England area. It is also possible that the name derives from an Irish corruption of the name “Salmon” or “Sammon”. That family comes from the area of County Cork.
The story was told by a grandson of Richard the Immigrant that one of Richard’s sons was approached by a man who was well known for his ability to tell anyone’s origins from his speech. The man told Richard’s son that he was from Wales, and Richard’s son told the man he was right, possibly because he had been so informed by his father. The rather rare and curious character of the name betrays a possible Welsh origin, as many names from there are virtually unpronounceable by outsiders.
Recent research by G. Frank Scammon, the principal genealogist of the Scammon family says the following:
“records that show a Richard Scammon of Nettleton ,Lincolnshire,
England was born there 19 Aug 1577 and he had married a Prudence
Waldron, who was born 1n 1578. Their oldest child was John Scammon. He
was born in Nettleton, 29 June 1598.”
“John had sisters, Anne and Elizabeth and a brother Richard Jr.. This
John Scammon was the father of my direct ancestor, Humphrey Scammon, who
was born in Kittery, Maine in 1639. He settled in Saco, Maine and died
there, Jan 1 1727. John Scammons wife was named Elizabeth Talere
[Tailor] and she was born in Nettleton 24 Oct 1602.”
Nettleton is a village in Central Lincolnshire, near Tattershall, where other Scammons are reputed to have lived. Here is a photo of Tattershall Castle, built by the Finance Minister to Heny VIII in 1435. It was no doubt a landmark in the area when the Scammons resided in England.
The Scammon family was one of considerable stature in the New World, and may have enjoyed that status in England as well. History notes that Captain Edmund Scammon was placed in command of a ship during a Royal Navy expedition to the Barbary Coast in February 1636 under the command of Admiral Rainsborough. The successful campaign was for the purpose of rescuing imprisoned English seamen.
Richard himself seems to have been of some means. While his profession is unknown, his sons seem to have started their careers with considerable property for young men of the period and his daughters married men of the highest standing.
The Colonial Period and Indian Wars.
Richard’s son, Richard was born in England in 1625 and came to New England with his father. In 1661, he married Prudence Waldron of New Hampshire, the daughter of Major Richard Waldron, the famous Indian fighter. Richard worked for a time as a gunsmith at Dover, New Hampshire but later moved to Stratham, NH, where he devoted himself to farming. He died at Dover in 1697
Another of Richard’s sons, Richard III married Elizabeth Wakely of Falmouth Maine. In September 1675, Indians captured Elizabeth after they killed both her parents. She was finally returned by Major Waldron with the assistance of Squando, a member of the Sagamore tribe. The incident was the inspiration for the poem “Mogg Megone” by John Greenleaf Whittier. The Scammon family’s history in the New Hampshire area is also commemorated in his poem “Truce of Piscataqua”.
A daughter of Richard the immigrant, Ann Scammon married Major Waldron, referred to above, who was the son of William Waldron of Dover. Major Waldron was born in Alcester, England and served as commander of the New Hampshire Troops.
The story of Major Waldron’s tragic end is told in “ Soldiers of King Phillip’s War” by George M. Bodge, published in Boston in 1896. “King Phillip” was the name taken by an Indian chief who initiated much of the hostilities. Bodge relates that in 1689, against his better judgment and over his protests to his superiors, Major Waldron was ordered to take prisoner some Indians who had come together at Dover after making peace with the white inhabitants. Waldron knew well that the Indians were a people who never forgot an injury. After the Indians escaped, they returned to the garrison where the Major and his wife lived when the doors to the garrison were opened at midnight by two Indian women who had been given lodging for the night. Two other women had been given lodging at each of two other garrisons in the area, Heard’s and Otis’s. So secure was the area and so confident the population that there was no watch set and the women were instructed how to open the gates in the event they wished to go out during the night. This was on the evening of June 27, 1689. That evening, it is said, the sachem Wesandowit was having supper with Major Waldron and asked him, since a large crowd of Indians was expected the next day for trading, “What would you do if the “strange Indians” came?” Waldron is said to have replied, with careless indifference, “I could assemble a hundred men by lifting my finger. Go plant your pumpkins.” His confidence may have been his undoing.
The Indians broke into the garrison and attacked the Major and his wife. He had no warning, but sprang up and seized his sword. He drove the Indians through many rooms of the house, but as he turned to secure other arms, he was struck down by a hatchet. Although he put up a gallant fight for an eighty-year-old man, he was nevertheless overcome. The Major was bound and tied to a chair and placed at the end of his table. They mocked him, saying “Who shall judge the Indians now?” At that point, the Indians forced the family to prepare food for them. When they had finished eating, each Indian slashed the helpless old Major across the chest with his knife, saying, “I cross out my account!” Then they cut off his nose and ears and stuffed them into his mouth. Spent by the loss of blood, the Major was allowed to fall upon his own sword, mercifully held beneath him by the Indians, ending his sufferings. Major Waldron’s son in law was killed at the same time. His wife, Ann Scammon Waldron’s daughter, eventually remarried twice, once to a Town Sheriff, and she died on the Island of Jersey.
Major Waldron at the Cocheco Massacre of 1689
There are two sides to every story. The Acadian Museum journal tells us the following view of the incident: “Richard Waldron was born in England, around 1609. Still young, he came to New Hampshire, where he was one of the first settlers. He became a merchant and traded quite frequently with the Indians. The Indians despised him for many reasons, especially because they said that he was dishonest. For example, in connection with King Philip's War, he invited one day to come to Dover some 400 of them, apparently as a friendly gesture. But what happened, he made them all prisoners, some being sold as slaves, others executed. And that is not all. He used to take advantage of the Indians, cheated on them as a merchant. For example, when weighing the material that he sold, the Indians could see him tip the scale with his finger. In buying beaver-skins by weight, he insulted the "intelligent Indians", as says an author, by insisting that his fist weighed just one pound. When they paid him what was due, he would neglect to cross out their accounts. All this, the Indians could not forget. It took them thirteen or fourteen years to get hold of him.” And the rest of the story as to the massacre is the same as set out above.
. Another son of Richard the immigrant was John Scammon, who lived at Kittery, Maine for a while and then returned to Barbados. Given the bitter winter weather in Maine, he made a good choice. Nothing is known of him thereafter but he is presumed to have relaxed in the sun the remainder of his life. Barbados was a sugar-cane growing area at the time and many immigrants to that area eventually went to New England. Good farm land in Barbados was expensive- one source says that in 1657, 45 acres of land in Barbados cost as much as 5000 acres in New Jersey or Pennsylvania. Another Scammon, Mary, married a John Rodman, MD in Barbados at about the same time. She may have been a brother of John. The Rodmans eventually returned to New England and lived in Rhode Island. Doctor Rodman was a well-known surgeon and landowner in Block Island.
The youngest son of Richard and the person through whom our family descends was Humphrey Scammon, who was born at Portsmouth, NH in 1640, the first of the family to be born in America. (Some sources say he was actually the grandson of Richard, Sr., his father having been John Scammon.) He lived in Kittery, Maine until 1679 when he moved to Saco, Maine, two and a half miles inland from the coast along the Saco River. (See maps in this volume.) He purchased 200 acres of land from the widow of Henry Waddock located along the Saco River a half mile from its mouth. At this location he operated a ferry and an inn, described at the time as a “publique house of intertaynment”, near Biddeford Pool. The Scammon land holdings are shown on the map. In 1679, while Humphrey and his other son were working on the ferry a short distance from the house, Indians attacked the family residence. Mrs. Elizabeth Scammon was taken captive. At the time of the attack, Humphrey’s young son, Samuel, was taking a mug of beer to his father. When he saw the Indians, he ran back to the house and put the mug on a dresser. The Indians persuaded Mrs. Scammon to take them to her husband, promising that no harm would come to them if she did so. She led them to the ferry and the whole family was immediately marched away into captivity.
The family was led through heavily wooded country to the Sokoki Indian capital, Peckwodgett, now known as Fryeburg, New Hampshire. When they arrived, the assembled Indians were of a mind to kill the captives, but the Indians were true to their promise and spared the lives of their prisoners. Nevertheless, the captives were subjected to great cruelty at the hands of the Indians. Later, the family was taken to Quebec, Canada where they were held for a full year. Such periods of captivity were common during the Colonial Indian Wars, which involved the English, the French in Canada, and various tribes of Indians who aligned themselves with both sides. It was also common for the captives to be subject to great cruelty as their French captors coerced the predominately Puritan New Englanders to accept the Roman Catholic faith. (The story of the Scammon’s’ captivity as well as the plight of other captives is told in the book New England Captives Carried to Canada by Emma Louis Coleman, 1896)
When the Scammon family returned from their captivity in Canada following a peace treaty, they found their home exactly as they had left it. The family cat was still there awaiting their arrival, having lived at the home during their absence. The mug Samuel had been carrying to his father was still where he had left it. That mug is still in existence, having been preserved as a tribute to the fortitude of those pioneers. It is a handsome piece of brownware with the likeness of Prince William of Orange who married Mary, the daughter of James II and was called to the throne of England in 1689. Prior to that he had enjoyed great popularity in Holland as a result of his victories over the French. It is believed that the mug was made in celebration of those victories. It may have been manufactured in England or Holland. It is unknown how Humphrey came into possession of the mug. It is now in the collection of the Dyer-York Library and Museum in Saco, Maine and it was featured in the 1982 copy of Smithsonian Magazine.
The attack on the Scammon home was also witnessed by a boy named Robinson, who immediately went to the nearby garrison to give warning. He could see that any resistance would be futile. He made his escape by horseback to the Saco River at Grey’s Point and swam from there to Cow Island, and then to the opposite shore. At the garrison, he found only women and a few old men. At his suggestion they all put on men’s clothing and uniforms and showed themselves around the fort, giving the impression that the place was heavily guarded. The Indians dared not attack. Many members of the Indian party attested to the success of this maneuver afterward.
Humphrey’s nephew, William, the son of Richard Scammon III was a lifelong resident of the Saco area, and served briefly as an Indian Fighter in Captain Kinsley Hall’s Company in 1696 and as a militiaman in 1689.
Humphrey’s son, Humphrey Jr. was later known in the area as Captain Scammon. He engaged in the lumber business and owned a share in a mill with Sir William Pepperell after whom Pepperell Park in Saco is named. Two of Humphrey Jr.’s sons were involved in the Battle of Cape Breton in 1745. One died there and another later died of wounds received there.
The Saco River, one of Maine's largest, where the Scammons originated, has its origins in the White Mountains and winds its way across the southern corner of the state to empty into the Atlantic at Ferry Beach and beautiful Biddeford Pool. The Saco has long been a source of enjoyment for fishermen, canoeists, and swimmers from Fryeburg to Camp Ellis. Yet until as recently as 1947, some Maine folks in the Saco-Biddeford area would hesitate to go near the waters of the Saco until they were certain that three people had drowned there that season. Their fears stemmed from a centuries-old curse placed upon the Saco by an Indian chief - a curse that demanded the lives of three white men every year. This is its story:
The early English settlers in Maine were not always welcome by Native Americans who resided there. The exception to this rule was the white settlement at Winter Harbor near present-day Saco and Biddeford. Here the English encountered a friendly tribe called the Sokokis (hence the Saco River), with whom they engaged in trade and lived peacefully for half a century. That peace was shattered, however, in the summer of 1675.
In the spring and summer, the Sokokis enjoyed the pleasant retreat of Factory Island, then a beautifully wooded isle in the Saco several miles in from the coast. Here, they hunted, fished, and swam in the cool, foaming waters of the cataracts that flowed from each side and emptied into the bay. One of the most respected leaders of the Sokokis was a chief named Squandro. Not only a great sachem, Squandro was supposed to have commanded the powers of sorcery and magic. Dignified and solemn, Squandro was respected among the whites as well for the peace he maintained with them.
Legend had it that he once returned a little white girl who had been captured in an Indian raid years before and reared by the Sokokis. In the early months of the destructive King Philip's War, it was Squandro who kept the peace between his tribe and the English, while other New England tribes were readying themselves for battle. Squandro's heart was turned against the whites, however, because of a cruel joke.
In the summer of 1675, an English vessel lay at anchor near the mouth of the Saco. Three sailors from the ship rowed up the river and came upon the Indian settlement at Factory Island, then known as Indian Island. They noted a young Indian woman crossing the channel in a canoe. With her was her infant son.
"I have heard," said one sailor, "that these Indian brats can swim at birth, like a very duck or dog or beaver."
"What say you?" laughed another. "Let us find out."
The sailors blocked the Indian woman's way in the channel and tore the screaming infant from her arms. While one held her back, the other threw the helpless child overboard, where it immediately sank in the river. The mother broke free and dove in after the baby. She rescued him, but he soon fell ill and died. The sailors, thinking it all a fine joke, rowed back to their ship unaware of what they had done. They did not know that this Indian woman was no ordinary squaw, but the wife of a great sagamore; they were further unaware that this little baby they had, in effect, killed was Menewee, the son of Squandro.
For three days and nights, Squandro mourned at the grave of Menewee, while:
In his wigwam, still as
[Sat] a woman all alone
and birchen strands
Dropping from her careless hands
Listening ever for the fleet
Patter of a dead child's feet.
FROM "The Truce of Piscataqua," by John Greenleaf Whittier
On the third day, Squandro went down to the river and stood on its banks with his arms outstretched. He cursed the waters of the Saco and vowed revenge upon the whites who had killed his son, He commanded the spirits of the river to take the lives of three white men every year until they were driven from "Saco's hemlock-trees."
He then went along the Sokokis and fueled the fires of their resentment toward the white settlers, and it was here in Saco that the first major blow of King Philip's War was struck. Squandro's curse was fulfilled each year until the mid 1940's, when a year passed with no drownings and the Maine Sunday Telegram headline happily proclaimed "Saco River Outlives Curse of Indian Chief." Although years after Menewee's drowning Squandro was supposed to have made his peace with the whites, his curse was so feared and respected that for centuries Saco mothers would not allow their children to swim in the river until three white men had drowned there that season.
Our family descends through Samuel Scammon, who had been carrying the mug to his father at the time of the Indian attack. He lived in Saco most of his life and married twice, first to Margery Deering in 1712 and then to Elizabeth Stimson in 1741. He and his older brother Humphrey were founding members of the Congregational Church at Biddeford in 1730. The first minister of the church was Reverend Samuel Willard.
Margery Deering was descended from the distinguished Deering family who first appeared in New England in the person of Roger Deering, known as “Mate” Deering. His grandfather, Richard “Deringe” was born in Devon, England in 1542. Roger’s father was George Deering, who was born in 1569 and died in 1645. “Mate” Deering was born in Townstall, Devon, England in 1644 and was a mariner and shipwright. He apparently lived in both England and America, traveling back and forth as necessary. He would build ships in America and sell them in Dartmouth, England.
In July 1673, he was in court for “not going home to his wife”. His son, Roger, II the father of Margery Deering, of was born in Devonshire, England in 1644 and was married in 1676 to Joan Palmer, born in England in 1628, the daughter of Clement Palmer and Sarah Pettigrew, who kept a tavern on Kittery Point. Roger’s wife Joan died in 1700 and he married again to “Mary”.
Roger died in 1718, the father of six children, one of whom was Margery, who married Samuel Scammon
Town of Dartmouth, Devon
Margery’s brother, Roger Deering III was also a figure of considerable standing. He was born in 1678, and like his father and grandfather was a shipwright. He married Sarah Jordan and lived at Nonesuch Farm in Scarboro. At the outbreak of the Three Years War in 1723, Indians killed his wife and captured her cousin, Thomas Jordan, her niece Mary Scammon, who was four years old, and another boy. Mary was carried away in captivity to Canada, but being a bright girl, she attracted the attention of the Governor of Quebec, Monsieur Vaudreil. She was taken into his family and educated. She was baptized into the Catholic faith in impressive ceremonies and was named “Marie Ann Marguerite Sxamen.” She married Louis Godefroy, Sieur de Tannancour, son of Rene Godefroy. Even though she was visited by her brother Humphrey on at least one occasion, she chose to remain in Canada since that was the only life she’d ever known. She had four children.
Roger took the loss very hard and traveled about Maine and New Hampshire for five years. Finally, however, he returned to Scarboro and became one of the town’s leading citizens. He was Captain of the Town Band, Justice of the Peace, and Deputy to the General Court. He was the First Selectman of Scarboro in 1720 (similar to the mayor) and again after his return in 1728. Roger III never had any children and left all his large estate to his second wife Elizabeth Litton, whom he married in 1724, except for a small sum which he left to “the religious, industrious poor of the town” and to the Scarboro Church.
Samuel had three sons, Samuel, Jr., John and Ebenezer. At this point in the family line the job becomes more difficult for the genealogists. In his will , Samuel Jr. spelled his name “SCAMMAN”, John spells his name “SCAMMON” and Samuel Sr. spelled his name SCAMON”. This has resulted in the two spellings of the name which continue to this day.
Samuel Sr. died in Saco in May, 1752.
In 1736, Samuel Jr. married Mehitable Hinkley, a descendant of Elder William Brewster of the Mayflower. Samuel died in 1758 in Saco.
Samuel, Jr.’s brother, Ebenezer had seven children, one of whom, James Scammon, served in the Revolution and died at Valley Forge , PA in March 1778. He was a private in Captain James Blanchard’s Company. Another of Ebenezer’s sons died when he drowned in the Saco River in 1766 at the age of 16.
The Revolutionary Period and War of 1812
Samuel’s son John, through whom our family descends, was born in Saco in 1715 and died there in 1752. He was married twice, each time to a woman named Hannah. After his death, his widow married Stephen Hardison and the two lived in Mt. Desert Island, the site of present day Acadia National Park.
John’s son, Daniel, through whom our family descends, was born in 1748 and lived in Saco. He moved to Mount Desert Island with his mother when he was five. In March, 1778 at the age of 30, he married “Mary Hardison, a daughter of Stephen Hardison of Biddeford” and they had eight children. It would appear that Daniel married his step-sister.
One of Daniel’s grandsons, Dudley Scammon, served in the Aroostook War in 1839. Another grandson, Green Scammon, served in the Civil War and was wounded at the Battle of Cold Harbor in 1864, as a member of Company G, Eighth Maine Regiment.
Daniel Scammon died at Ellsworth, Maine in 1810. Daniel’s son, Richard, was born in Franklin, Maine in 1792 and died at Fall River, Massachussetts on November 9, 1873. He married Harriet Lancaster at Franklin in 1820. Hannah Lancaster was descended from a long line of early American colonists. Her mother was Anna Urann (formerly Urin- they changed the name in a surge of good taste) who was born in 1758 and came from Sullivan, Maine. Hannah’s grandfather John Urann, Sr. enlisted into the forces engaged in the French and Indian War as a member of Captain David Bean’s Company stationed at Pownall, Maine. He made his living as a tanner. His father James was a cordwainer, a ropemaker. In 1764, John lived at Sanford, Maine. Hannah’s family goes back to William Urin and his son John, residents of Portsmouth and Greenland, New Hampshire in the mid-1600’s. In 1752, John Urin, Sr. married into the Ault family which goes back to 1601 in England. The first immigrant was John Ault and his traditionally Puritan-named wife “Remembrance” Tibbets.
Richard was a lumberman in the Mount Desert- Ellsworth lumber shipping area. However, his quiet life was no doubt disrupted in 1813, when at the age of 21, British Forces invaded Maine from Canada by sea at Eastport as part of the War of 1812. It is unknown whether Richard actually served in the army.
In the late summer of 1814, the British were engaged in a blockade of New England. They decided to step up the pressure by taking control of that portion of Maine lying east of Penobscot Bay. Richard’s home of Ellsworth lay on the eastern shore of the bay, directly in the path of the advancing British troops. Twenty-five hundred fresh British troops arrived from France , where they had just won a decisive victory over the French forces under Napoleon. On August 31, 1814, they sailed up the Penobscot River and took Castine easily. When the few American defenders saw that defense was impossible, they blew up their crude fort, and the town was taken without a fight. Other troops took Belfast without meaningful resistance.
The Americans, meanwhile had gathered in the vicinity of Bangor and had armed a battery. The 800 or so sailors and militiamen had taken the guns from an armed sloop, the Adams, which had just grounded. Seven hundred British troops landed and advanced in heavy fog. The Americans fled at their approach and burned the Adams as they retreated. Camden was taken without resistance and over one hundred Americans were taken prisoner and immediately paroled. The British suffered a total of one killed and eight missing throughout the entire expedition. By September, 1814, the entire eastern half of Maine was under British jurisdiction.
Some say that upon the end of the war in April, 1815 , the local Americans were sorry to see their British cousins go... they were well paid soldiers who were not reluctant to spend freely in the local businesses. The War of 1812 in America was soon forgotten in England where it was just a small part of a global conflict, but it cemented in place a new national identity for Canadians, marked an end to the Revolutionary Period and ushered in the establishment of the United States of America as a sovereign nation.
The Westward Migration
Richard Scammon’s oldest son, Isaiah Lancaster Scammon, was born in Franklin, Maine about 1822. There is probably more known about him than any other Scammon other than Humphrey. His life is well-documented in the history of California and the State of Washington.
Isaiah married Lorinda (or Lorendah) Hopkins in 1844. On November 28, 1849, he joined thousands of other young men in answering the call of the gold fields of the west and, leaving his wife and children in Trenton, Maine, he struck out for California. He proceeded west by means of the schooner Traveler, heading around the Horn and arriving in San Francisco on May 14, 1850 at the height of the Gold Rush. Four months later the forces of statehood would gain that status for Californians.
The miseries of that sea voyage are chronicled by Samuel Upham, who wrote from the brig Osceola, ten days out of Philadelphia: ”those descriptions of life on the ocean wave read very prettily from shore, but the reality of a sea voyage promptly dispels the romance.”
“Conditions in the dank, dark recesses of the passenger quarters of those ships bound from the east to California were as bad as can be imagined. Victims of seasickness clung to their slanting bunks while their baggage and anything else moveable slid from side to side with each roll if the ship. The prostrate passengers wondered, without really caring, whether the ship would survive the next shuddering lunge into the oncoming seas.”
On his arrival, Isaiah and his brothers were greeted by the brawling bustling boomtown, slowly and achingly emerging as a major cultural and business center of the nation. It was quite a departure, no doubt, from the sleepy rural New England life he had left behind. Ships, abandoned by their crews, were hoisted from the water and converted into waterfront warehouses. A ghost fleet lay rotting at anchor in the bay. Fortunes were being made and lost daily and Isaiah set out to make his.
San Francisco- c. 1849
Isaiah’s activities are unknown during his stay in San Francisco, but in two years, he was sufficiently well-heeled to move off to the Oregon Territory where he heard good land was readily available. Isaiah took a ship north from San Francisco to the Grey’s Harbor area of what is now Washington State and then traveled upriver on the shores of the Chehalis River to the site of present day Montesano.
There he constructed his home using cedar logs he cut and floated down the Chehalis to the building site. He named the area Scammon’s Landing. Scammon’s Landing still exists on the shores of the Columbia River. Then, using his own sawmill, located at Cedarville, he prepared the materials for the construction of the first frame house in the territory. No doubt, he learned the lumber business from his father in Maine.
Loggers in the Pacific Northwest- 1800’s
In 1857, after seven years in the west, Isaiah sold part of his land to pay for the passage and returned to Maine, probably by rail, to bring his family west to join him. There, he met his daughter Mary for the first time. She had been born shortly after his departure. The entire family then returned by sea, and across the Isthmus of Panama. At that time, the crossing of the isthmus was an arduous ordeal of mule and rail travel through steaming disease-ridden jungle and steep mountains. Upon their arrival at the Pacific Coast, there was required a wait of up to several weeks, sometimes, until suitable transportation could be arranged up the coast to San Francisco.
A huge throng of Indians, many of whom had been waiting for several days for the family’s arrival, met them at the time of their arrival at Scammon’s Landing. What an experience that must have been for Mrs. Scammon, their sons and little Mary !
Isaiah’s holdings along the Chehalis River totaled some 640 acres, a full section. His was among the first sawmills in the territory. His house, pictured below was a mere 30 feet from the river and was subject to flooding. The original house was torn down when the pictured house was constructed. The lumber was cut for the second house while Isaiah was gone east to bring his family west. The second house was used for many civic purposes at various times, including a courthouse and a hotel. Mr. Scammon was also the
Postmaster for the area and the building’s parlor also served for a time as a post office.
In 1866, Isaiah’s oldest son was killed by an accidental gunshot wound.
Isaiah Scammon was a quiet man who was known for his stern morality and honesty in business dealings. He was, as one historian put it, "a tall tree in a wilderness of trees and one of the most respected men ever to come down the Chehalis." But as rare a character as he was, it was Scammon's wife who made the biggest impression on guests and neighbors. Lorinda Scammon was only five feet tall, but her iron will and quick temper made her something of a giant in the Chehalis valley. Because of the Scammons' strategically placed homestead, Lorinda and her husband often played host to parties of travelers going to and from the harbor. Thanks partly to this geographical advantage and partly to Lorinda's cooking, the family eventually turned their home into a public inn.
If visitors to Scammon's establishment were expecting a stay filled with riotous hilarity and alcoholic excess, however, they were disabused of that notion when they met the hostess. True to her stern Puritan ancestors, Lorinda was a believer in a strict and straitlaced form of Christianity. She would brook no foolishness when guests stopped for the night at Scammon's Landing. Once a group of boisterous boatmen tied up their skiff and marched up the steep bank, bringing with them a keg of whiskey and hoping to spend the evening in the delightful company of Mr. John Barleycorn. They had placed the keg carefully on the back porch. They had not counted on Lorinda Scammon. As soon as the scrappy little woman caught sight of the liquor, she promptly took action. Brushing past the astonished guests, Lorinda commandeered the keg, rolled it back down the steps, down to the river bank, and into the stream where it floated away. Wiping her hands on her apron, the indignant woman then wheeled around and went back into the house without so much as a word or a side glance. On another occasion, Lorinda found that the family Bible had been moved aside, albeit respectfully, by some lodgers to make way for a card game. To her, this was the ultimate blasphemy. She had soon tossed all the cards into the fireplace to the shock of her guests, and had replaced the Bible to its place of honor.
Gradually, the Scammons' home became a gathering place for settlers from all over the river valley, a convenient place between the inland farmers and the sailors of Grays Harbor. It was a haven where the visitor could expect plain, filling meals and uncompromising Protestant theology. It was understandable then, when Lorinda decided that their homestead needed a lofty name like the estates of Europe, she chose "Mount Zion." This was later changed to "Montesano," meaning "Mountain of Health," because the latter sounded better, and some amateur linguist had convinced the woman that the words had the same meaning as the Biblical name. No one ever dared tell her that the translation was faulty.
As strong-willed as she was, even Lorinda Scammon could not stop the tide of settlers coming into the Grays Harbor country. By 1854 there were enough people in the region to break away from Pacific County and form their own county, Chehalis.
Isaiah had several other children, including Edith, born in 1860, who married a Mr. Briscoe. They had eleven children. Another daughter, who was born in Montesano about 1855 (?) learned Chincook, an Indian dialect, along with English. She married David Edwards in 1880 and in 1888, they moved to California from Maine, where she had been educated.
Isaiah had six brothers, Jefferson, Albion, Benjamin, Daniel, Justin and Meltiah. Their sister, Cynthia remained in Maine. Our family descends through Meltiah Lancaster Scammon, who was born at Franklin, Maine. Each of the brothers either accompanied Isaiah on his move west or followed soon after. Each seems to have brought his family west as well, except for Meltiah. Meltiah married Mary Jane Smith before he left Maine and apparently never saw her again after he left for California. Mary Jane was the daughter of Mary Polly Springer, who was the second wife of John Ferguson Smith of Franklin, Maine. Ms. Springer was descended from the Springer family who appeared in the Americas in the person of Lorentz Springer who was born in Wismar, Mecklenburg, Germany and moved to America about 1690, settling in Tiverton, Rhode Island. The family later moved to Delaware and later to Maine. The Springers descend from Sweden and Germany and utimately through the French kings of the ninth and tenth centuries and finally from Charlemagne, Emperor of the Holy Roman Emperor. Charlemagne is the 35th great grandfather of William Freeman, who was the 4th great-grandson of Mary Jane Smith. The first man, Adam, is the 74th grandfather of Mr. Freeman, according to the traditional genealogy.
Returning to the 19th Century, we find that most details of the journeys of the other Scammon brothers to California are unknown, but apparently some of them lived in the Clear Lake area of Northern California for some time, and Isaiah died there in 1888. He left a substantial estate consisting of a house at the corner of Clearlake Blvd and Main Street in Lakeport and 33 acres of farmland in the Scott’s Valley area. The area is still a principal producer of fruit. The house is of the Victorian style and has since been remodeled into two residences. His will is on file at the Lake County Courthouse at Lakeport. There are many Scammons still living in Washington, California and Oregon, especially in the Kittitas area, of Washington, where Albion settled. Albion was granted a homestead in Lewis County and Isaiah is known to have held huge tracts of land around Grey’s Harbor. These facts are documented by US Land Patent records.
Bits and pieces are known of the residences and occupations of the brothers. Jefferson Scammon was a wheelwright in 1860, residing with his wife Anna in Tuolumne County in the Sierra Nevada foothills in the heart of the “Gold Country.” Daniel Scammon, his 73-year old uncle, may have resided there with him for a time. Daniel is noted in census records to be a “mariner”, apparently retired, as the area is well inland. Jefferson had an adopted daughter, little Ellen-May Crowley, born in 1854. Ellen was the daughter of a Maine family and the family’s story is that her parents were killed by Indians on the way west. The Scammons adopted her along the way and she lived with them until her marriage. She is believed to have had a brother, Caleb, but there is no record of what happened to him. Ellen died three years after the marriage, leaving a young son. Her husband, Joseph Field, later sold his business in the city of Porterville, CA. He gave half his money to the Scammons who had agreed to care for the child, and he went off to Alaska to seek his fortune. Apparently he maintained a close correspondence with his son and sent presents to the son and the Scammons regularly. Alas, he went broke and died penniless. Ellen’s child, Clifford, was adopted by the Scammons and raised as their own as Ellen had been. A descendant of Ellen was the first motorcycle policeman in San Francisco.
The Luck/Field family genealogy (http://users.nac.net/joluck/D11.htm) gives this story of Joseph Field:
. JOSEPH THOMAS FIELD was born in 1848 in St. Joseph, MO, USA. He operated his father's store in Porterville, CA and eventually took over ownership in 1873. He was first married in 1877 to Ella May CROWLEY, the adopted daughter of Jefferson and Anne SCAMMON. They had two children, Joseph Clifford FIELD and Ella Mae FIELD. His wife Ella May died in 1880 as a result of the birth of their daughter. Joseph sold the store to relatives, gave the money and the children to the SCAMMON family, and left for Alaska. The children were raised for a few years by the SCAMMON's and then by their Aunt, Mary FIELD. Joseph continued to provide for them and visit them from Alaska. In Alaska he was a merchant, fisherman, shipper, and real estate investor. He eventually met Joseph and Henry HARRISON and went into business with them. He was married to their sister, Camille Ruth HARRISON, on 22 Jan 1890 in Juneau, Alaska. He died on 17 Apr 1917 in Petersburg, Alaska.
San Francisco city directories in 1864 list Jefferson H. and Justin Scammon doing business as “Scammon Brothers, Merchants of butter, eggs, cheese, etc.” at 19 Metropolitan Market, San Francisco, with a residence at 230 Fourth Street. At the same time, the well-known Captain Charles Melville Scammon, a Captain with the US Revenue Cutter Service, a whaler and expert on the habits and migrations of the whale, was residing at 409 Folsom St. Captain Scammon was a distant relative of the Scammon brothers, but it is not unreasonable to believe they had a nodding acquaintanceship. Additionally, Captain Scammon held some land in the same area of Washington where Isaiah and Albion settled. Captain Scammon ranged the entire pacific Coast as a whaler and Scammon Lagoon in Mexico’s Baja Peninsula is named for him. He was a successful whaler for having discovered the breeding grounds of the California grey whale. The Mexican government tourist agency describes the area as follows: ”Scammon's Lagoon is one of three noted places that the California Gray Whale makes its winter home. They congregate in these "shelters" that are little touched by humans. Females give birth and tend to young calves in shallow areas, while mating action takes place in slightly deeper waters closer to the ocean. Captain Charles Scammon discovered this lagoon as a hide-a-way for the Grays, and proceeded to slaughter them there. At first, the Grays were able to fight back, and destroyed a few whalers and ships in the process, until Scammon and the men at the time learned to sit in water shallow enough that the Grays couldn't swim in, and they were harpooned from a distance. This was the cause of the decimation of the Grays that we're familiar with, from which they're making a comeback.” A history of San Francisco’s multitude of abandoned and wrecked vessels also provides this scrap of information about the seagoing activities of Captain Scammon:
“[The vessel] Leonore — near Griffin's Wharf; "...lay off Vallejo street. She was bought by Tubbs, and was commanded by Captain Scammon for a time. She was afterward in the lumber trade, and made a voyage to China, finally coming home, and George Howgate took her and broke her up."
The following year, Jefferson was listed as a wheelwright at 715 Folsom and residing at 535 Tehama. Three years later he was a carriage maker. In 1895, the same San Francisco city directories show that Jefferson lived at 3983 24th St., and his brother Justin lived at 43 Lower Terrace. Meltiah lived at 93 Lower Terrace. (Later documents show those addresses as 143 and 193 respectively.) Justin and Meltiah lived on Lower Terrace Street in San Francisco until the time of their deaths. Both seem to have been quite well-off financially. Meltiah lived with his nephew Harrison (Harry) Scammon who was a telephone company employee.
Meltiah retired from farming when he was relatively young and lived in a fine home in a prosperous area of the City, one which was, thankfully, spared significant damage from the Great Earthquake of 1906, which occurred when they lived there. He resided in California for 60 years and there is no indication he ever went east again. However, Meltiah apparently married again, to Mrs. L.M. Covell on January 16, 1873 at Surprise Valley, California, as reported in the Sacramento Bee newspaper. Surprise Valley is a small remote area in northeastern California, east of Alturas in Modoc County. Land Patent records maintained by the US Government show that Meltiah had substantial land holdings in Modoc County, as much as a full section by 1882. The principal holdings were on the sections numbered 11 through 14 in Township 41-N, Range 16-E, Mt. Diablo Meridian. Around that time the US Army established Fort Bidwell in Surprise Valley to combat the remaining hostile Indians in the area, headed by the Chief, Captain Jack. The fate of his marriage to his first wife, Mary Jane Smith, whom he married in 1830 and who was the mother of his only son, Edgar Scammon, is unknown.
Meltiah was also known to have resided for the period 1884 to 1890 at 1925 Alameda Avenue, near Walnut Street, in Alameda, on the East side of the San Francisco Bay. He is listed in an Oakland directory of the time, but his occupation is not shown. However, by the time of the publication of a 1911 directory of San Francisco, his occupation was shown as “capitalist”. That rather broad term is not otherwise explained, but at the time his estate was probated, Meltiah owned several promissory notes, mortgages on San Francisco property. In his will, he left the princely sum of Ten Dollars to his 60-year-old son, Edgar, a monthly payment of $15 to his sister in law, Anna Scammon, Jefferson’s wife, and the majority of his estate to his nurse, Lida E.S. Berry, a total of about $2500. (Anna died in 1913.) There is a reference to Helena Arline Thomas, age 25 (perhaps a married daughter or step-daughter of his last marriage ?) to whom he left $ 300. There is no reference to Mrs. Covell in the will. . Historical records show that a family of four was easily able to live reasonably well on $14 per week, and “have money left over for fun.”
Meltiah died in 1911 and is buried alongside his Masonic Lodge brothers of the Mission Lodge in San Francisco. (Inquiries about Meltiah directed to the lodge have gone unanswered.)
Justin is also buried in the Masonic plot of Olivet Cemetery of Colma, just south of San Francisco. (At about that time, cemeteries were forbidden within the city limits of San Francisco and the Colma area was, and remains to this day, a “City of the Dead”, with so many cemeteries such that the interred “residents” far, far outnumber the relatively few living citizens of the city, even to this day.)
Justin is buried near his son, Leland Stanford Scammon and his wife Elizabeth. All three died in the same year, and all of different causes.
The Quake of 1906
San Francisco Earthquake - 1906
Justin’s home at 143 Lower Terrace in a rather well-to-do area of San Francisco and is well preserved to this day. Meltiah’s home at 193 is not as well preserved and restored as Justin’s.
A descendantby adoption of Justin Scammon, Jeff Scammon, who lives in Roseville, California and operates the Owl Tavern there, still has a gold nugget purportedly fished out of the American River by Justin in 1850.
Meltiah’s brother Benjamin lived in Santa Rosa and died there in 1913. Daniel moved to Goldendale, Washington and died there in 1903.
Those Who Remained “Down East”
Surprisingly, Meltiah’s son, Edgar Scammon, apparently bore his father no ill will for having moved west, leaving the family behind, as he named one of his sons after him. There is a story, however, that Edgar’s mother Mary inherited the princely sum of “one dollar” from her long-gone husband, Meltiah, and she promptly deposited it in the wood-fired stove as a symbol of her disdain for her husband. She also related that at one point, Meltiah had a false obituary notice noting his own death sent to the family. There still seems to be an underlying current of animosity for Meltiah among the Maine Scammons.
Edgar seems to have lived in the Franklin, Maine area but traveled extensively as a mariner. He is reported to have been a cabin boy in a vessel which rounded Cape Horn and was shipwrecked. As the crew trudged across country toward help, young Edgar complained about all the walking. The captain ordered him to pick up a log and carry it for a while because it would be such a relief when he finally put it down. On another occasion he went over the side of a ship in Boston Harbor to save another sailor who had fallen overboard. In so doing, he ripped open the muscles in his arm on the “ship lap” on the side of the vessel , an injury which never healed properly and left him somewhat disabled for the rest of his life. He worked as a lobsterman and as a wood pulp cutter for the paper mill.
In 1887, Edgar married Hannah Clark and they had nine children.
Hannah Clark was the daughter of Betsy M. Hodgkins and Ensign Clark, after whom her son was named. Betsey was born in Hancock, Maine in 1820 and died in Franklin in 1902. She and Ensign Clark were married in December, 1840 at Franklin.
The Hodgkins family was one of considerable long-standing in the Franklin-Hancock area. Samuel Hodgkins, Betsey’s father, was born in Hancock and married Sally Ford. They lived in the village of Egypt. Samuel was the son of Moses Hodgkins, Jr. born in Hancock in 1764 and he married another girl named Betsey Hodgkins, daughter of Shemuel Hodgkins and Sarah Griffin. (Moses married his first cousin and to make things difficult, Samuel named his daughter Betsy M Hodgkins after his grandmother.) One of Shemuel’s other children was Zachariah Hodgkins, who is reported to have been “lost at sea or killed by pirates”.
Hannah’s uncle, Amos Hodgkins, Betsey M. Hodgkins brother, who was born in 1816 at Hancock, and who married Mary Hamor in 1853, was apparently an accomplished fiddle player. The Hodgkins Genealogy, compiled by Eben Hodgkins noted that:
“About 65 years ago, we boys and girls fom Marlboro went in the evening to Blunt’s Pond to skate with the boys and girls from Lamoine. We always used to go to Amos’ to hear him play. He would always play at the old-fashioned kitchen dances after chopping bees. He’d play ‘Irish Washerwoman’, ‘Devils Dream’ and ‘Fisher’s Hornpipe’ and entertain us all”.
Moses, Jr., who died in 1855 at Hancock, was the son of Philip Hodgkins Jr., who was born in 1735 at Falmouth- later known as Portland. Shemuel, Moses’ wife’s father, and Philip, Jr. were the two sons of Philip Hodgkins of Falmouth, Maine, known as “Philip of Falmouth.” Philip of Falmouth was born in 1690 and along with his brother Jedediah, moved to Falmouth from Gloucester, Mass. His sons, Samuel, Shemuel and Philip, Jr. went to Hancock.
Philip and Shemuel were Sergeants in the Revolutionary War, serving in the company organized by Daniel Sullivan, after whom Sullivan, Maine is named.
Moses and Samuel Hodgkins, the other brothers of Philip and Shemuel were with Col. (Sir) William Pepperel in his expedition against the fortress of Louisburg on Cape Breton Island in 1745. The taking of Louisburg was a great military victory in the Third Fench and Indian War, and one, incidentally, in which at least two other Scammons took part. Both of the other Scammons died of wounds sustained in that battle. Col. Sir William Pepperel was one of the founders of the Saco area where the Scammons originally settled. The Pepperels and the Scammons were adjoining landowners there, as reflected by the map in this volume.
Philip of Falmouth was the son of Samuel Hodgkins who arrived in Ipswich, Mass. in 1684. He and his wife Hannah Pilkington had 15 children. Samuel, in turn, was the son of William Hodgkins, Jr.who was born in England in 1622. He married Grace Dutch the daughter of Osman Dutch. They had 11 children. William Jr. died in 1693 in Ipswich.
William Hodgkins, the father of William, Jr., was born in England in 1590 and arrived in Plymouth, Mass in 1632 with his son William, Jr. William Hodgkins was noted to have served on a jury in Plymouth, Mass. in March 1636 and again in Sept 1638. William was married twice, once to Sara Cushman and then to Ann Haynes. In 1641, the family moved to Ipswich.
In view of the time they arrived and the area in which they lived, the earliest Hodgkins were probably among the Puritans who left England in the early 1600’s and settled in the Boston area. Their strict code of conduct and civic duty resulted in many families moving up the Maine and New Hampshire coast leaving the Puritan elders to bemoan that the “young people never seem to stay in one place and instead seek out new land and valleys”, rather than advancing “the Lord’s work” in the settlements. About that time, there lived Anne Hutchinson and Roger Williams, both Puritans who led the movement to limit the influence of the church and to pave the way for separation of church and state in the later United States. Roger Williams founded the town of Providence Rhode Island when he was driven out of Plymouth by his fellow Puritans .
Hannah and Edgar are buried at Franklin.
Edgar and Hannah Clark Scammon
Our family descends though their sixth child, Meltiah Ensign Scammon, born on September 9, 1891 at Franklin, Maine. He was quite close to his brother Floyd who related a number of stories about Meltiah, particularly one in which they collected rubber boots and other articles for money. They went to a nearby lumber camp and collected boots from all the lumbermen and made a good deal of money. Meltiah was married three times, the first to Julia Sawyer in 1912, then to Mildred Martin Getchell, daughter of Reuben Martin in April 1914. Mildred’s mother was Flora Leighton who was born about 1860 in Franklin, ME. She descended from the Garland family which extends quite far back in American history. Flora’s fifth great grandfather, John Garland came to the New Hampshire area from England about 1650. He descended from John Garland, who, during the late 1400’s was the Warden of the Cinque Ports, a group of five seaports in southern England including Sandwich, Rye and Hastings, which were virtually independent states in exchange for their support of the British naval enterprise. During the 1500’s they became a sanctuary for pirates. Immigrant John Garland’s son, Jabez, was killed by Indians in 1710.
Meltiah Scammon married Myra Rogers in 1919. The fate of Julia is unknown, but Mildred Martin Getchell died of pneumoinia incurred while she was swimming, shortly after the birth of her third child, Alice Gwendolyn Scammon, in July, 1917. She had one child from a previous marriage, Donald Getchell, and another son with Meltiah, Orrin Burnham Scammon, who was born in 1915. Orrin married a lobsterman’s daughter and spent most of his life in Rockland as a lobsterman. He died in 1992.
Meltiah Ensign Scammon resided in the Franklin and Rockland , Maine area for the majority of his life.
Meltiah Ensign Scammon
In May, 1917, at the age of 26, upon the entry of the United States into World War I, Meltiah entered the United States Navy. Based upon his past mechanical and seafaring experience, he was inducted with the rating of Chief Machinists Mate and was assigned to the submarine chaser USS Wissahickon, SP-82. The Wissahickon was a converted single-screw steam yacht with steel frame and wooden planking built in 1899, which had been owned by Mrs. Charles Henry of Philadelphia. The vessel was 120 feet in length and 14 feet in beam. It had originally been named the Valda. The yacht was designed by F.D. Lawley and was built by George Lawley and Son Corporation.
The vessel was commissioned into the US Naval Reserve Force in August , 1917, at least that’s when her log begins. The Wissahickon may have been briefly attached to the Naval Militia of Maine before its commissioning, and at least one source says the ship was acquired by the Navy on July 13, 1917. (That is also the birthday, coincidentally of Meltiah’s daughter, Alice Gwendolyn Scammon, from whom our family descends.)
The Wissahickon spent the majority of the war patroling in the Maine to Boston area, but a good deal of the time, it was tied to the pier at Rockland, Maine due to an outbreak of influenza, which required that the vessel be quarantined. A massive influenza outbreak that year resulted in the deaths of many and was so severe in Europe that it threatened the very posssibility of continuing the war, so ill were the soldiers. There is no evidence the vessel was ever involved in any combat. The vessel was considered too light to stand up to the rigors of “distant service”. The Captain was LT(jg) E.W. Haskell.
In January, 1919, the ship was transferred to Camden, Maine and she was decommissioned in February, 1919 at Camden. Three days later, the ship was returned to her previous owner, Mrs. Henry. Meltiah was discharged from the Navy in March, 1919.
As an historical note, the Naval Service record of Chief Scammon shows the spelling of his middle name as “Ensine” (probably to avoid any entanglements with the officer ranks.) He is described as 25 years old, 5 feet 7 inches in height and as having hazel eyes, reddish brown hair and a fair complexion.
World War I Submarine Chaser similar to USS Wissahickon, aboard which Meltiah Scammon Served in 1917.
Meltiah Scammon and his Grandson,
William Freeman- Connecticut, 1946
Alice Gwendolyn Scammon lived in the Franklin area and spent most of her youth with her grandmother Hannah Scammon and her uncle George Burton (Bertie) Scammon, a younger brother of Meltiah. One of Meltiah’s sisters, Bessie Darling, operated the County Home for the Aged at Brewer, Maine for many years. She had twins, who died young. Alice and her uncle and grandmother Hannah Scammon lived at the family home at Egypt, Maine during the summers. (The village is the scene of the novel “The Beans of Egypt, Maine”, which has nothing to do with the Scammon family.) In the winter, they moved to the residence of Jennie Belle Scammon, another of Meltiah’s sisters. Jennie’s husband and George Scammon worked on the Maine Central Railway near the home in Washington Junction. The railway was a common means of even short distance travel for the family. Tracks ran across the front and rear of the family home.
Jennie is said to have enrolled her younger brother in school as a young child. She decided she didn’t like the child’s birth name, Charles Wilson Scammon. She gave the name Floyd Grandon Scammon. Floyd was an engineer for a paper company and although his formal education amounted only to the eighth grade, his years of experience led him to a teaching position in Engineering at the University of Maine at the age of 70. In applying for the position a birth certificate was required and he discovered the name change.
Alice described a rather happy childhood involving routinely playing around the trains, and around the water, which was nearby, including riding in small boats tethered behind large coastal steamers. (Of course, she would never permit her own child to do anything like that.) During the summer, Alice worked for “summer folks”, wealthy seasonal visitors to the Bar Harbor resort area. She worked at a hotel as a waitress and in other resort business frequented by the rich and famous from New York and Boston. The area was a mecca for the “yachting crowd” during the high-flying Twenties. She was close to her cousin, Claudia and Claudia’s sister Geraldine.
Following her graduation from Rockland High School in 1934, Alice worked as a telephone operator at the Knox Telephone Exchange in Rockland. At Rockland High School, she was honored by being the author of the “Class Ode”, and a copy of that song still exists. It is filled with seafaring images as befits the Rockland area.
Alice Freeman- circa 1934
Alice worked one year in Weyburn, Mass. as a housekeeper for a family she met during the summer. She also worked as an assistant to her stepmother, Myra Scammon, who was a schoolteacher at Owl’s Head, Maine. Myra Scammon suffered from severe asthma, but so great was her dedication to teaching that she was rarely away from her post. In her later years, Myra donated a large pond to the Town of Owl’s Head for a firefighting resource.
During Alice’s youth, Meltiah Scammon worked as a meatcutter and as a lobsterman. He served as Town Constable of Rockland for several years. In that capacity, he once caught Alice with her boyfriend, Charles Freeman in a car together outside a dance. Both had come with other dates and Alice was sternly advised to “make up her mind.” She did.... and on July 5, 1937, Alice married Charles Bicknell Freeman of Rockland, Maine.
Owl’s Head, a peninsula just south of Rockland is the site of a famous lighthouse which is just visible at the extreme top right of the following postcard photo. It is more clearly viewed in the postcard on the next page. The family residence is located at the rough center of the photo.
Meltiah Ensign Scammon died in 1980 at Thomaston, Maine.
Owl's Head- 1940
The Scammon Girls: L to R: Elizabeth, Cousin Claudia,
Alice, Miriam circa 1940 at “Downtown”
Owl’s Head , Maine
Floyd Scammon- Meltiah’s Brother
Postcard of Owl’s Head Light