Family Tree Maker Online
Navigation Bar
Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page

Page 66 of 542


Descendants of Phillip Janszen Ringo

Generation No. 2


2. ALBERTUS2 RINGO (PHILLIP JANSZEN1) was born 1656 in New Amsterdam, NY, and died 1734 in Hunterdon Co., NJ. He married JANNETJE VAN STOUTENBURG August 13, 1679 in New Amsterdam, NY, daughter of PIETER VAN STOUTENBURG and EVE VAN TIENHOVEN. She was born August 30, 1656 in New Amsterdam, NY, and died Abt. 1734 in Hunterdon Co., NJ.

Notes for A
LBERTUS RINGO:
He was baptized 9 JUL 1656.(30) ALBERTUS PHILIPSZEN RINGO was born in New Amsterdam and baptized there in the Dutch Reformed Church on July 9, 1656. In a ceremony witnessed by Henrick Henricksen, Jan Schryver and Aettie Schryvers. He was the second surviving son of Philip Janszen Ringo and Geertje Cornelis. He was only five years old at the time of his father's death.
He was apparently apprenticed at a tender age to one of the many shoemakers in the town, probably to the Ten Eycks, a family of shoemakers and tanners with a tan yard on the upper part of Broad Street. By the time he reached his majority he had become a full fledged "cordwainer," a master worker in Cordovan leather, making not only shoes but boots, belts and other leather articles.
As a child of eight Albertus had seen the Town of New Amsterdam seized by the Duke of York for the English in 1664 and the whole of New Netherland taken over by the British Crown, while Peter Stuyvesant was forced to retire to the Bowerie. The name of the town had been changed to New York City, and the colony had been split in two, New York and the southern part, New Jersey.
In 1672 war had again broken out between England and Holland during which a Dutch naval force under Admiral Cornelis Evertsen had forced the surrender of the fort at New York City, and the name of the town and colony was changed to New Orange, in honor of William of Orange, stadholder of the Netherlands.
After the years under what they considered an alien force, the Dutch element of the town regarded this new development with great enthusiasm. The new Governor, Anthony Colve, forthwith, set up three companies of burgher guards to look to the defense of the fort. The First Company was under the command of Captain Cornelis Steenwyck and in its ranks was to be found Albertus Ringo, private, aged seventeen.
The whole picture changed when the Treaty of Westminister was concluded on February 9, 1674, under which control of the colony was peacefully passed back to the English some ten months later.
Early in life Albertus Ringo had shown a deep interest in the protestant religion and "by admission of Faith" became a member of the Dutch Reformed Church of his father. This fixation brought him into Court for one of the few times of his life, when in 1674 Willemtie van Lyden filed suit against him for the restitution of a testament and psalm book, which Ringo had bartered from her son, Pons Jansen. When the case came up a week later before the Court of Burgomasters and Schepens, the books had been returned, apparently everyone was happy, for the case was dismissed. On June 1, 1676 Albertus Ringo appears on the church list of members in good standing.
In May of 1678 he attended the baptism of Lysbeth, daughter of Jan Thomaszen and Appolonia Cornelis, the latter perhaps a relative. The next year was a banner one, for it was on July 27, 1679 that a notice was posted on the door of the Dutch Reformed Church announcing the banns of "Albertus Ringo, j. m. Van N. Yorke en Jannetje Stoutenburg, j. d. also boven." On August 13, 1679 he was married to Jannetje Stoutenburg, daughter of Pieter Stoutenburg and his wife, Aefje van Tienhoven, undoubtedly in the presence of her parents and their family, and of his mother, Geertje Cornelis, and even possibly one or the other of his brothers, Jan and Pieter if they happened to be in port. The groom was twenty-three as was probably the bride, who was baptized in the same church on August 20, 1656 with Rachel Vinge, her grandmother,as Godmother.
Ringo had by this time long since finished his apprenticeship and was plying his trade as a shoemaker. On January 5, 1680 the English Governor, Sir Edmond Andros, who had made himself quite unpopular with the citizenry during the years since the take-over from the Dutch administration in 1674, invoked fines against the shoemakers of the town on the basis that they had been tanning their own hides instead of paying legal dues to the tanners. They were each ordered to pay two pounds, ten shillings English money to "the Church for Charitable uses." Among the sixteen who paid up, were Albertus Ringo and his friends the Ten Eycks, Dirck and Tobias.
Albertus continued to serve as a Godparent for children of friends and his wife's relatives at the Dutch Church. On September 8, 1679 he witnesses the baptism of the daughter of Hermanus Coning and Maria Greyn, and on January 26, 1680 did the same for the son and namesake of Willem Waldron and his wife, Engeltie Stoutenburg. The big event of the year though was the baptism on May 8, 1680 of Aefje, the first child of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg, who was named for her maternal grandmother. The Godparents were Jannetie's father, Pieter, and Albertus mother, Geertje.
In February 1684 when the child of Wybrandt Abrahamszen and Lysbeth Wybrants was christened the witnesses were Lysbeth Jans and Albertus Philipszen (Albert, son of Philip). This was the only occasion in all the records, where Ringo used the Dutch patronymic.
A week earlier Albertus had witnessed the will of a friend, Frederick Henricks de Boogh, who was mortally ill. Upon his death Ringo performed the same service for the widow, Elizabeth Salmons, who was "concerned for the education of her ten children when the Lord shall call me out of this Sorrowfull World" and wished to appoint Isaac Van Vleck, her brother-in-law and cousin, as their tutor.
In the year 1686 when the Minister of the Dutch Church made up his list of parishioners, it included Albertus Ringo and his wife, Jannetie Stoutenburg, living on the east side of Broad Street in the Town of New York. In earlier days this street, known as the "Heerengracht," had a canal in the middle of it, which ran from the bay inland to where the land began to incline upward. The various streets which crossed it, did so by small bridges.
In 1676 the Governor had had the ditch filled up and at the same time had closed down the tanning pits on the east side of it. This resulted in the laying out of a series of small lots, which provided much needed expansion for the growing population. Ringo acquired the lot on the northeast corner of Broad and what later came to be called Exchange Place. He built a small cottage on the site and before 1686 was maintaining his home and workshop there.
Near the end of the 17th century, as older buildings were torn down, this particular area of Broad Street became a favorite of engravers and printers, and prints are in existence which show not only the neighborhood but, indeed, the very cottage that Albertus lived in for over twenty Years.
In the same year as the Domine's list, Albertus Ringo served, along with William Bogardus and Johannes Kip, as a witness to the will of Henrick Arsen. The following year, on July 10, 1687, the Ringo's fourth child was baptized as Geertruyd, named for her paternal grandmother, Geertje Cornelis. Lucas Stoutenburg and Anneken Rollegom were the witnesses.
In the year 1688 church officials decided that the old building was too small. A large lot was selected on "Tuyn" (Garden and later Exchange) Street, just a few doors east of the Ringo's cottage. The list of contributing members and donors to the construction contained nearly three hundred names. The Minister, Hendricus Selyns, himself well-to-do, was by far the largest contributor "in wampum," while many of the others pledged a certain number of days work rather than giving money or its equivalent.
Most interesting were the contributions in kind, such as a boatload of stone, ironwork, lead, glass, mortar and shingling. There were fourteen who made their donation in "shoes," including Albertus Ringo who gave 60 florin value to his. Johannes van Couwenhoven even gave "six half-kegs of good beer."
The New Year, 1689, came in quietly with Albertus Ringo continuing along with his normal business, including serving as witness in March to the baptism of the children of Francois Puy and Annie Elsten, and of Gerrit Leydecker and Neeltje Van der Kuyl. Then on September 15 the Ringos had their fifth child, Pieter, baptized at the old Dutch Church with Lucas Stoutenburg and Adriaentie Cornelis as witnesses. In the meantime, word of an event of world-wide importance had come to New York City on June 2, 1689, the consequences of which were traumatic both to Albertus Ringo and all the other citizenry of the colony.
This momentous news told of the ascendancy to the British throne of William of Orange and Mary, his wife and the sister of the deposed King James II, who had fled to France. James' elevation in 1686 to reigning monarch of England had not been received well there, nor particularly in the colony of New fork, many of whose inhabitants had fled the Old Country because of their Protestant beliefs, and King James seemed favorable to the Catholic cause. The fears were soon confirmed By his appointment of numerous Papists and their sympathizers to high office. Among James' supporters was Thomas Dongan, Governor of New York since 1683, a Roman Catholic, who had surrounded himself with a combination of well-to-do merchants of the Reformed faith and others of his own persuasion.
Upon news of the change of rulers and the takeover by the Protestant cause back in England, Dongan quietly took to ship and left New York. His Lieutenant Governor Nicholson attempted, with the support of the then Dutch officeholders, to hold on but with the rising public demand "to declare for William and Mary" and after an acrimonious scene with the leaders of the citizen militia, he turned over the keys to the fort and departed also.
Everyone then anxiously awaited word from England as to what should be done, but in vain, for the government back there had its own problems to handle. After over two months had gone by a Committee of Safety was formed in New York with the backing of a majority of the populace, who in turn appointed Jacob Leisler, a popular merchant and militia officer, to be commander-in-chief of the colony until further instructions from England.
When the former Dutch public officials protested, the lines were drawn for relatively bloodless civil strife, which created opposing political factions and for more than a decade divided the populace, the Dutch Reformed Church,neighbors, friends and relatives into two contentious cliques.
Throughout this entire period of discord in the colony of New York, Albertus Ringo remained as a staunch supporter of the administration of Jacob Leisler and his political followers. Ringo was apparently a member of the local militia, which took over the fort in the beginning days of the troubles and saw the happenings at first hand. On August 22, 1694 (five years later) he, along with Leendert Huygen De Kleyn, Carsten Luersen, Johnannes Tiebout, Jacobus Goelet, Albert Clock, Pieter Yacobsen, Jan Tunese, Pieter Willemse Roome and Paulus Turck, Jr., all "Citizens of New York" described what happened earlier in a deposition made that day.
Leisler, seemingly a well intentioned and able leader, continued to "hold the fort" awaiting further instructions from England. When they did come in December 1689, dated the previous July, they were addressed to Francis Nicholson, long since fled, or "to whoever might be in command." On the basis of this letter Leisler had himself named Lieutenant-Governor, and with the help of his son-in-law, Jacob Milborne, continued to take care of the affairs of government, including holding public elections, making repairs to the fort, taking steps to ward off depredations by the French and Indians from Canada and other necessary matters.
He did, however, by the arrest and incarceration of two prominent leaders of his opposition, Nicholas Bayard and William Nichols, bring about a continuing and coordinated attack from that front. This highly vocal and influential group included amongst its ranks three domines (ministers) of the Dutch Reformed Church led by Hendricus Selyns, of the New York Dutch Reformed Church Albertus Ringo attended.
The authorities back in England finally got around to sending out a governor for the colony and a garrison for the fort, but in the course of their voyage across the ocean in several ships, they became separated and the soldiers, commanded by Major Richard Ingoldsby, arrived on January 25, 1691 without any credentials or the new governor, whose ship did not arrive until nearly two months later.
Leisler greeted Ingoldsby cordially and offered quarters for him and his men, but in the absence of papers, declined to turn over the fort. The Major, in frustration, and at the urging of the anti-Leislerian group, made several attempts to force takeover but in the end was unsuccessful, thereby contributing to a growing antagonism between the two men.
By the time the new Governor Henry Sloughter arrived and received a report from his angry commander, the die was cast and Sloughter, upon receiving possession of the fort, released Bayard and Nichols and imprisoned Leisler and also "all under him as they could get." Within two months the Governor had charged him and Milborne with treason and other misdemeanors and they soon stood convicted under a Court of Oyer and Terminer appointed by him. The sentence of death by hanging, urged by a newly appointed Council, was approved by Sloughter and on Saturday, May 16, 1691 under a lowering sky and in drizzling rain, the sentence was carried out. Their bodies were buried at the foot of the gallows and their estates were confiscated.
This action taken before a large assemblage of the citizenry, brought on rioting by some of them, but it also brought stark fear to most of Leisler's adherents, many of whom fled the city (at least until after Sloughter's own death in July 1691) when an amnesty was declared for supporters of the two brave men who died unflinchingly. Whether or not Albertus Ringo gathered his family and belongings together and fled to the hinterlands, as many did, is not known; however, the records in New York City do not indicate his presence there during most of this period. In addition, it would appear that the Ringos' sixth child, Cathrina, must have been born during these times for no baptism is shown for her.
After the general order in the summer of 1692, which forbade persecution of members of the Leisler faction, affairs in the city of New York apparently calmed somewhat but infighting politically and in the affairs of the Dutch Reformed Church continued unabated. Albertus Ringo was there in his home on Broad Street on September 1693, when he was appointed constable for the North Ward. At that time a movement was afoot to seek action by the British Parliament to act reversing the conviction of Leisler and Milborne and return of the estates to their families, and the statement by Albertus Ringo and others on August 22, 1694 must have been a part of it.
Ringo had certainly returned to an active role in his church before then, for on Larch 21, 1694 Jannetje, the seventh child of the Ringo couple was baptized there. Isaac and Neeltje Stoutenburg were the witnesses. Six months later, Albertus served in the same capacity for Isaac and his wife, Neeltje (Uyttenbogaert) upon the occasion of the baptism of their son, Gysbert.
The 1695 list of property in the city of New York shows "Albertus Ringo, house estate & lott" valued at 40 pounds and 10 pence, which is subject to an "Assessment of ye North Ward for one Earthing per pound for ye raising Fifty pounds for ye maintenance of ye poor." This appears to cover his land and cottage at the northeast corner of Broad and Garden (Exchange), and also a lot he has acquired on the latter street, west of Broad.
At his cottage was born the eighth and last known child of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg, who was named Cornelis (Cornelius). He was baptized at the New Dutch Church near their home May 2, 1695 with Willem Waldron and Geertje Luersen as Godparents.
The year 1695 also saw a reversal of the attainder (the loss of all rights as a result of a sentence of death for treason) by an Act of the Houses of Parliament, which had been in effect since the deaths of Leisler and Milborne. The Governor of New York at that time, Benjamin Fletcher, was in no hurry to correct the wrong done, since he had been friendly with the anti-Leisler faction from the time he came there in 1692.
It remained for the Earl of Bellmont, who was appointed as Governor of New York Mary 10, 1697 to set about correcting the wrongs that had occurred some years earlier. He saw to it that the estates of the two men were restored to their widows and their records cleared. He also approved the action on June 14, 1698 by the House of Representatives of the province of New York called "A BILL FOR RECONCILING OF PARTIES," which abhorred "ye heats and animosities between ye inhabitants" of recent years and spelled out means to prevent their continuance against the welfare of the city.
The old bitterness still remained though, for on October 14, 1698 when Isaac de Reimer made application in the name of Jacob Leisler, Jr. to the Church-masters of the Dutch Church to rebury the remains of Leisler and Milborne in the church, they replied: "Because we are pressed by both parties in the congregation and very much desire to preserve peace and quiet in our church -- that we cannot consent thereto; but also that we shall not hinder it."
Albertus Ringo, in company with Johannes Van Giesen, David Provost, Jr., Johannes de Peyster, and Jacobus Goelet, all deacons of the Dutch Church, in a lengthy letter dated October 21, 1698 to the Right Reverend Classis of the City of Amsterdam in the Netherlands wrote:
"Yesterday the remains of Commander Jacob Leisler and of Jacob Milborne (eight years and five months after their execution and burial) were exhumed and interred again with great pomp under our (new) Dutch Church (in Garden Street). Their weapons and armorial ensigns of honor were there (in the church) hung up, and thus, as far as possible, their honor was restored to them."
Lord Bellmont, in a letter to the Lords of Trade, shortly thereafter says, "There was a great concourse of people at the funeral (1200 tis said) and would tis thought have been as many more but that it blew a rank storm for two or three days together, that hindered people from coming down or crossing the rivers."
But old prejudices die hard, and before the five deacons had heard back from Holland, Domine Selyns and the anti-Leislerian members of the church had fired off a rebuttal to the Classis, calling them "lesser persons" as compared with his "prominent" supporters. Apparently Ringo and his fellow deacons had already concluded that a change was needed and had several weeks earlier petitioned for a new minister. While they did not get to "give the call" to the man of their choice, the Reverend Gualterus du Bois, who was sent out, was an excellent choice for the job, as attested to by Albertus Ringo and his associates in a letter to the Classis March 29, 1700. The long feud was over and the schism apparently healed!
As Albertus approached middle age and the end of the Seventeenth Century, his fortunes appear to have improved. He took the required oath as a Freeman of the City of New York on August 30, 1698 under the Mayoralty of William Merret, Esq. On September 29, 1699 he was made Assessor of the North Ward of the city and seems to have held that position until at least 1705.
In 1699 "Albertis" Ringo and Jacobus Goelet were appointed to a two year term as a Board of Deacons, supervising the School of the Collegiate Reformed Dutch Church in the City of New York. This school was started in 1633 and has continued up to the present day, as a very highly regarded one. Ringo's father-in-law had served it in a similar capacity in 1671 and there is every indication that Albertus received a good education in his youth; thus some reason to believe that he might well be one of its alumni.
The Ringos were recorded as continuing to live and pay taxes on their home on Broad Street and in 1702 when a census was taken of the city, it shows "Allebertuz" Ringo living in the North Ward, with wife, three male and two female children living at home. The records show nothing of daughter Jannetje after her baptism, so it may well be that she did not survive childhood, but the other three did, and perhaps an older one may have been visiting relatives or in the some service with another family.
On November 7, 1700 the heirs of Pieter Stoutenburg, who had died in the Spring of 1699, made a deed to the 'minister, Elders and Deacons of the Reformed Protestant Dutch Church within the City of New Yorke" to a "Lott of ground situate, lying and being in the west ward of the same city without the North Gate, and on the East side of the Street commonly called and known by the name of Broadway."
The heirs were detailed as "Tobias Stoutenburg of the city of New Yorke in America, bricklayer, and Antie, his wife; Isaac Stoutenburg of the same place, Wyntie, his wife; Isaac Stoutenburg of the same place, carpenter, and Neltie, his wife; Albertus Ringo,, of the city aforesaid, Cordwainer, and Jannetie, his wife; and William Waldron, of the said city, Cooper, and Engeltie, his wife."
By 1703 daughter, Aefje Ringo (the 2nd), was old enough to become a member of the Church, and in July 1704 when Albertus was witnessing the will of Gerrit Haller, Mariner; his own son, Philip, aged 21, was signing on with Captain Nicholas Evertsen to go against a French privateer that was lying off the coast. In January 1705, the banns of their daughter, Aefje, were posted to announce her marriage in February to Willem Van de Water; and by spring of the next year, Albertus Ringo and his wife became grandparents with the birth of Margrietje Van de Water, daughter of Willem and Aefje.
Meanwhile, Albertus Ringo and probably his two older sons, had visited and spent time on the South River, now called the Delaware, which in earlier days had been the haunt of Philip Janszen Ringo. New York City was beginning to get crowded in the view of many, and Albertus must have begun to feel those first primordial stirring of the need for new horizons and land, which was eventually to carry his descendants across the continent to the Pacific Ocean.
The decision to leave the comforts and safety of New York City for the frontier region of New Jersey was obviously a difficult one. On June 28, 1706 Albertus Ringo and his wife, Jannetje, made an indenture to her sister's husband,"Captain Evert Byvancke, Gentleman, of West Chester County, in the province of New York" transferring to him "all that certain messuage, tenement or house and lot of ground, situate, lying and being within the City of New York on the east side of the street there called Schaape Weitie (now Broad Street) being the corner house by the Garden Street (now Exchange)."
The lot fronting upon Broad Street only twenty feet, was about fifty-five feet (Dutch measure) on Exchange and on the opposite side, and was bounded on the north by land of Derik Teneyck and to the east by ground of John Hendricks Bruyn.
The transaction also included Ringo's other lot on which had been built a house. This was located west of Broad on the south side of Exchange and bounded by property of Albert Trumpeter, Henrick Frederickse De Bough and Enoch Mechelfe. The price for both was two hundred and fifty pounds current money of New York, but the deed contained an important proviso from the seller's standpoint.
It "provided Nevertheless and upon this condition, that if the said Albertus Ringo, his heirs, executors, administrators, or any of them shall and do well and truly pay or cause to be paid to him, the said Evert Beyvancke, his heirs, executors, administrators or assigns the just and full sum of two hundred and fifty pounds in the current money of New York at or before the twenty-eighth day of June next ensuing the date of these presents without fraud, concert or further delay, that then this present indenture or bargain and sale and every clause, matter or thing herein contained to be utterly void, cease and determine, as if the same had never been made or executed."
The Ringos had bought themselves a year's time to decide whether they were going to like to live in a different and wilder land!
Jannetje was left behind in New York, probably with her daughters, shortly after she and her husband acknowledged their deed before William Peartree, Esquire, the Mayor; while her husband, Albertus, fifty years old nearly to the day, sailed off, likely with all three of his sons, to seek a new life at the Falls of the Delaware in West Jersey.
By September 29, 1707 when Albertus Ringo received his deed for twelve acres on the Assunpink Creek in Maidenhead Township in Burlington County, New Jersey from Thomas Staniland, they had already built a house on the property and most likely spent the interim clearing the land before bringing the rest of the family there as soon as weather would permit the next year.
Albertus' voyage from New York must have followed closely the route taken by his father in his fur-trading days, going through the Narrows, past Sandy Hook, along the Jersey coast to Delaware Bay, and then up that river to the riffles or falls, which made further navigation of any sizable craft Impossible. On the north shore of the Delaware River at the point where the Assunpink Creek tinters it, an English Quaker, Mahlon Stacy, had secured a grant of 800 acres with the idea of damming the smaller stream so as to construct a grist mill, badly needed in that entire area.
Stacy's mill, built only a short distance from the Delaware on what had been an Indian trail, attracted considerable custom, particularly from the settlers, who lived to the south. Soon Stacy carved out a sixty acre tract just north of the mill, which he sold to Hugh Staniland, whose son, Thomas, divided it into five "quota" shares. Ringo's neighbors there, in addition to Stacy, were Johannes Lowerson, Joshua Anderson, Captain Ralph Hunt, John Lewis and Enoch Andrus (Andrews).
These tracts became the nucleus of the village that would grow up there. The one Albertus Ringo purchased had, as did the others, a small "town" lot and a larger "out" lot for garden, pasture and orchard. It was two doors above the mill on the east side of the trail that was even then being called "the Queen's Road," which would ultimately become the main link between Trenton, Elizabethtown and New York.
Here in this new house and workshop, Albertus set himself up in his trade, and found sufficient demand for his work that he naturally taught two of his sons--the "mysteries and art" of shoemaking. His eldest son, Philip, though, must have immediately been drawn to the mill, where he learned a trade new to the family, but one which would be carried on in it for many generations.
All land in the province of New Jersey had become the property of two "proprietorships" (similar to share-held corporations), when the English took over. The one in the area in which the Ringos settled, had headquarters in the town of Burlington and was called the Council of Proprietors of the Western Division of New Jersey, which exists to this day. They conducted negotiations for purchases with the Indians, made grants of land and gave land dividends to their shareholders, who in turn subdivided and sold to others.
Until 1707 Burlington County had been composed of twelve townships; Maidenhead and its neighbor, Hopewell, were the northernmost. During this year the Council of Proprietors had the northernmost boundary of Hopewell resurveyed, and the next year a new and very large township, Amwell, was patented to the north of it.
With the addition of this area, the residents of Maidenhead and Hopewell, already feeling too distant from the Burlington County seat, began a movement for formation of their own county. By January 1, 1712, Albertus Ringo was listed as an "old resident," when he made a donation of one English pound to this cause. He and his son, Philip, who became treasurer of the movement, were among its leading advocates.
Within a year, a new county was authorized to extend north from the Assunpink to the far reaches of Amwell Township. The Provincial Council, in doing so in 1714, provided for election of local officials and setting up of a County Court. The county was to be called Hunterdon in honor of the popular Governor Hunter of New York.
Two years later Albertus Ringo received a commission to be one of the Justices of the Peace of the new county, and this was renewed again in 1719. A year earlier he had acquired an additional portion of "the Original Sixty Acres," and by 1722 was elected to serve as the Freeholder of the township, where he continued to make his home.
In 1714 an enterprising Scotsman, William Trent, who had come from Inverness to Pennsylvania, became interested in the growing settlement at the falls of the Delaware, and wound up buying the mill there and much of the Mahlon Stacy land from his heir, Mahlon, Jr. He was very active politically in both the county and the province, and before long the little community was being referred to as "Trent's-town" or "Trent-town." Trent's relations with his neighbors must have been very cordial and Philip, the son of Albertus, seems to have carried on an association with the mill, even after 1718, when he moved to Hopewell to build his own grist mill.

Notes for J
ANNETJE VAN STOUTENBURG:
Jannetje Stoutenburg married Albertus Philipszen Ringo 13 AUG 1679 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands.(25) Jannetje was born before 20 AUG 1656 in New Amsterdam.(26) Jannetje(27) was the daughter of Pieter Van Stoutenberg and Aeftje Van Tienhoven. Jannetje died about 1734 in New Jersey, at age unknown.(28) She was baptized 20 AUG, 1656 in New Amsterdam, New Netherlands.(29)

Unfortunately the Ringo's first child died within five years but in the meanwhile
Jannetie had given birth on November 2, 1682, according to an old Ringo family bible record, to their first son, Philip, named after his paternal grandfather. This is confirmed by the ceremony conducted at the Dutch Reformed Church on November 15th under the ministration of Hendricus Selyns, where Philip was baptized, at which Jan Philipszen (John Ringo, 1st), brother of Albertus, and Engeltie Stoutenburg (Waldron) were the Godparents. It was through this child, Philip (1D2) that the family name was carried on.

In February 1685 another daughter was born to Albertus and Jannetie Ringo. On the 28th of that month she was baptized and given the name of Aefje (the 2nd) reflecting a deep desire to maintain the name in the family and replace in some manner their first-born, who had died. Tobias and Wyntie Stoutenburg were the witnesses.


Albertus Philipszen Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg had the following children:

7 i. Aefje3 Ringo (1st)(31) was born in New York City before 8 May 1680. (32) Aefje died before 1685 at age unknown.(33) She was baptized 8 MAY 1680 in Dutch Reformed Church, New York. (34) AEFJE (the 1st) RINGO was baptized May 8, 1680 at the Dutch Reformed Church in New York City, New York; first child and daughter of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg. She died within a few years and another child was give the same name. \\

More info regarding the Ringo family from:

Patricia Lee (Lougheed) Dowdell
405 Farley St.
Waxahachie, TX 75165
A-United States
972-938-0618
dowdell4@flash.net


More About J
ANNETJE VAN STOUTENBURG:
Baptism: June 30, 1656

Marriage Notes for A
LBERTUS RINGO and JANNETJE VAN STOUTENBURG:
Albertus continued to make his home and ply his trade on the original town lot near the old mill and in 1727 one of the nearby residents, Enoch Andrus, conveyed a hundred and fifty foot square out of the back of his "quota fifth" for the nominal sum of five shillings to John Porterfield, David Howell, Richard Scudder, Alexander Lockhart, William Yard, William Hoff, John Severns, and Joseph Yard, all of whom were active Presbyterians.

Upon this land "lying on the north side of Second Street" (now State Street), the Church and Burying-yard were established. The early records of the First Presbyterian Church of Trenton (which still survives) are sketchy, but Albertus, as a deeply religious person probably became a parishioner there, as was his son, Cornelius, during his stay in Trenton. The Ringos must have found the Presbyterian Church available, agreeable and compatible, for it is a well established fact that they were active Presbyterians during their entire stay in New Jersey.

On May 1, 1734 "Alburtes Ringo, Cordwainer, and his wife, Jane," of Hunterdon County, probably in settlement of earlier disputes, sold to John Hamilton, Esquire, of Perth Amboy, one of the "quota shares of twelve acres," they owned along the Maidenhead Road. The Ringo couple were both approaching the ripe old age of seventy-five.

Exactly when they died is not known but it would appear that they had both passed on sometime before their heirs placed an advertisement in the Pennsylvania Gazette in the fall of 1734, which offered for sale "a stone house and lot containing three quarters of an acre of land" and also "another lot of land with an orchard, containing about nine acres." Both pieces of property were cited as being in Trenton and convenient to the Mill. Interested parties were instructed to contact Cornelius Ringo of that town, or Philip Ringo, who by then was living up-country in Amwell.

It was obviously Albertus' original property and the old folks were both deceased. It is thought likely that they would have been buried in the nearby Presbyterian graveyard but no record exists to confirm that. The out lot had been sold by March 1737 but the two brothers, then both living in the township of Amwell, still held the stone house and town lot, which they mortgaged for twenty pounds.

Had Albertus Ringo and his wife lived to that date, they would have enjoyed knowing that both their sons had become Judges of the Court of Common Pleas of Hunterdon County, New Jersey.
     
Children of A
LBERTUS RINGO and JANNETJE VAN STOUTENBURG are:
  i.   AEF JE3 RINGO, b. May 08, 1680; d. 1680.
  Notes for AEF JE RINGO:
Aefie Ringo was probably born in NY City before May 8, 1680 and died before 1685 at age unknown. She was baptized May 8, 1680 in Dutch Reformed Church, NY. Another child was given her name.

  More About AEF JE RINGO:
Baptism: May 08, 1680, Dutch Reformed Church, NY

3. ii.   JUDGE PHILLIP (JUDGE) RINGO, b. November 02, 1682, New Amsterdam, NY; d. May 10, 1757, Amwell, Hunterdon, NJ.
4. iii.   AEF JE STOUTENBURG RINGO, b. February 28, 1684/85, New Amsterdam, NY.
  iv.   GEERTRUYDE RINGO, b. July 10, 1687, New York City, NY, USA; d. 1711.
  Notes for GEERTRUYDE RINGO:
She grew to adulthood and became a member of the church May 25, 1710. She was present in New York on November 6, 1711 on the occasion of the baptism of her sister Aefje's fourth child. No record of marriage has yet been found, not is the date of her death known.

  More About GEERTRUYDE RINGO:
Baptism: July 10, 1687, New York City, NY, USA at the Dutch Reformed Church. Her God Parents were Lucas Stoutenburg and Anneken Rollegom

  v.   PEITER RINGO, b. 1689; d. 1730, Hunterdon Co., NJ.
  Notes for PEITER RINGO:
Never married. 11 v. Pieter Ringo(41) was born in New York, New York County, New York before 15 SEP 1689.(42) Pieter died 1730 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, at age 40.(43) He was baptized 15 SEP 1689 in New York, New York County, New York.(44) PIETER (Peter) RINGO, son of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg, was baptized at the Dutch Reformed Church in New York City on September 15, 1689. Godparents present were Lucas Stoutenburg and Adriaentie Cornelis. The latter was probably a relative of Geertje Cornelis and it has been suggested that their family name, if they had one, might be Trommels, but this has never been proven out by the records.

Peter moved with his parents in 1706 at the age of seventeen from New York City to the Falls of the Delaware (later to become Trenton) in West Jersey. His father apparently taught him the trade of shoemaker and he must have helped out in the shop there until his brother, Philip, opened his mill on Stony Brook in Hopewell Township in 1718.

In Hopewell he probably made his home with his brother, plying his trade as both a shoemaker and gunsmith with those who brought grain to the mill. Since no record has ever been found of his ownership of land, it is also possible that he occasionally "whipped the cat" by riding horseback with tools in his saddlebags and attending to the needs of the settlers in the back country.

He was a popular figure throughout the township as attested to by his being elected to the office of Assessor in 1723 and Collector in 1724. He earlier had been commissioned as Lieutenant in the Hopewell Militia.

He died intestate in the summer of 1730 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey, where the records call him "Cordwainer and Gentlemen," before reaching his forty-first birthday. He never married.


On August 30, 1730 his brother, Philip, was appointed by the court to be the
administrator of his estate. His inventory made September 30, 1730 by Alexander Lockart and Philip Ringo, was witnessed by the mark of John Hunt and the signature of his brother Cornelius Ringo. It showed a value of 18 pounds, 7 shillings, and 6 pence, and included as follows:

"Apparel, a Chist, an old Sadel and bridles, a parcel of gone smiths toolls, a set
shoemakers tooels, a chaff bed and 2 blankets, a brown horse and old area horse, a small mare and A Cowe."

  vi.   JANETJE RINGO, b. March 21, 1693/94, New York City, NY, USA; d. 1708.
  Notes for JANETJE RINGO:
13 vii. Jannetje Ringo(46) was born in prob New York City before 21 MAR 1694.(47) She was baptized 21 MAR 1694 in New York, New York County, New York.(48) She became Albartus Van De Water's godparent at his baptism 8 FEB 1708 in Kings, Saratoga County, New York.(49) JANNETJE RINGO, the daughter of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg, was baptized in the Dutch Reformed Church in New York City on March 21, 1694. Her Godparents were Isaac and Neelje Stoutenburg. She was still in New York on February 8, 1708 when she served as Godmother of Albartus Van de Water, her nephew. No further information has been found on her.

  vii.   CORNELIUS (JUDGE) RINGO, b. Bef. May 02, 1695, New York City, NY, USA; d. 1768, Maidenhead Twp, NJ; m. FRANCES.
  Notes for CORNELIUS (JUDGE) RINGO:
He apparently received a good education along with his brothers at the Collegiate
School there of which his father was a deacon. He was approximately eleven years old when he moved with his family to West Jersey. It is thought that he also learned his father's trade as a shoemaker.

Cornelius stayed behind in Maidenhead Township, when his brother, Philip moved to Hopewell in 1718. In the little village, later to be called Trenton, he worked at his trade and early on began to take an active part in the activities there. He was commissioned August 25, 1725 at the age of twenty to be an Ensign in the Hunterdon County Militia.

In 1730 he witnessed the inventory of his deceased brother, Peter, and in the same year is mentioned as being owed an account from the estate of Maurice Trent. In 1733 he bought a half acre of land in Trenton (probably before the death of his father, Albertus) from James Trent. In that year he is also mentioned as a creditor of the estate of John Severns of Trenton.

After their father's death the two Ringo brothers advertised his property for sale on March 28, 1734 and again on May 13, 1736, and on both occasions prospective buyers were advised to contact Cornelius Ringo in "Trentown." He was certainly there in 1734 and apparently attending there in 1736; but on January 6th of the latter year he sold his half acre lot to William Atlee of that town. Cornelius in that deed is shown as a Cordwainer living in Amwell.

Apparently Cornelius Ringo had decided to try the country life and become a
Gentleman farmer, while still pursuing his trade in the less competitive atmosphere near his brother, Philip. On April 28, 1737 he gave a mortgage to the County Land Office on a 100 acre "plantation" adjoin" William Lummix in Amwell, and just a short distance southeast of the crossroads, where Philip Ringo kept Tavern.

He was in Amwell though at least to 1744 for he is mentioned in the estate records of Lummix and of William Dawles, who kept a mill about a mile south of Ringo's Tavern. It was during this period that he was made a Justice of the Peace of Hunterdon County.

By 1746 when he was reappointed to this position Cornelius had sold his farm to Johan deel Bergh and moved back to Maidenhead Township. When the King that year granted Trenton a charter covering parts of two townships there, Cornelius Ringo was made a Member of the Burgess (Councilman) of the new Borough of Trenton.

Cornelius continued to hold his position as Justice and took an active role in the
affairs of the court of Hunterdon County. On May 28, 1751 he, along with his brother, Philip, and other Justices signed a protest to the King against the treatment of William Morris.

Two years later Cornelius Ringo shows up as owning a farm in the Tax List of Hopewell Township, where he was apparently living. In 1754 he was, as had been his brother, Philip, made a Judge of the Court of Common Pleas of the County of Hunterdon.

It was also during his stay in Hopewell that he joined with John Hart (later to become a Signer of the Declaration of Independence) in filing a complaint with the Overseers of the Poor of the township.

The date he sold his place in Hopewell is not known but by 1767 he was back in
Maidenhead witnessing the will of Abigail Hunt and the farm was in possession of Joseph Moore, son of Nathaniel of that township.

At some time in his life he had married, for when he died early in 1768 his wife,
Frances, was his executrix and heir. Cornelius Ringo, throughout his life, had been an active member of the Presbyterian churches at Trenton, Maidenhead (Lawrenceville) and Hop swell (Pennington) and it is thought that he would be buried at one of the first two, but those records available do not confirm this.

A minor notation of a contribution by a "Miss Ringoe" to the minister's fund in
Hopewell about the time of their residence there might give credence to the possibility that Cornelius Ringo and his wife, Frances, may have had a daughter, but it is doubtful as she is not mentioned in his will proved February 13, 1768 in Hunterdon County, New Jersey. (Certainly she was not the Deborah Ringo mentioned in the Introduction to the "Letters of Moore Furman" (Frederick H. Hitchcock, New York, 1912), whose name was Ring or Rings.


  More About CORNELIUS (JUDGE) RINGO:
Baptism: May 02, 1695, Dutch Reformed Church in New York City, NY, USA with Willem Waldron and Geertje Luersen as his Godparents

  viii.   CATHRINA RINGO, b. 1691, New York City, NY, USA; d. 1750.
  Notes for CATHRINA RINGO:
She married Elyse Bird before 1717.(100) (Additional notes for Elyse Bird(101)) CATHRINA RINGO, the daughter of Albertus Ringo and Jannetje Stoutenburg does not show up in the Dutch Reformed Church baptismal records for reason suggested earlier. It is estimated that she was born between May 16, 1691 and September 1, 1692. She apparently married Elyse Bird before 1717 but no record of the marriage is found in the church records; however, a son of theirs was
baptized in that year for whom Willem Van de Water and his wife, Aefje Ringo, were sponsors. No information has been found of additional children or of the date of their deaths in the New York City Dutch Church records.

Cathrina Ringo and Elyse Bird had the following child:

32 i. Jacobus4 Bird(102) was born before 30 OCT 1717.(103) He was baptized 30 OCT 1717.(104)

Child of CATHRINA RINGO and ELYSE BIRD is:
i. JACOBUS11 BIRD, b. October 30, 1717.






Page 66 of 542

Prev Page Prev Item Contents Index Go to Page Home Page Next Item Next Page


Search for Family - Learn About Genealogy - Helpful Web Sites - Message Boards - Guest Book - Home
© Copyright 1996-99, The Learning Company, Inc., and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 1995-97 by Matthew L. Helm. All Rights Reserved.