Big changes have come to — all content is now read-only, and member subscriptions and the Shop have been discontinued.
Learn more

Home Page |Surname List |Index of Individuals |InterneTree |Sources

View Tree for Silas ChoateSilas Choate (b. Abt. 1780, d. Abt. 1861)

Silas Choate was born Abt. 1780 in North Carolina, and died Abt. 1861 in Skin Bayou District, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory. He married Catherine Mccameron on Abt. 1828 in Cherokee tribe, Indian Territory, daughter of Samuel Mccameron and Quatse (Ya-Somu).

 Includes NotesNotes for Silas Choate:
Having read Descendants of Silas Choate on your Home Page, here is some information that may be of interest to you. It is taken from "Our Faulkner Family", written by Samuel B. Lessley of Claremore, OK, another descendant of Franklin Faulner, a Judge in the Sequoyah District, Indian Territory for several years in the 1880's.

He lists Nancy Choate as b. 1835, d. Jan 19, 1892. Nancy married Robert Garvin first, with one child, Benjamin Franklin Garvin, and married Franklin Faulkner after Robert Garvin's death. He lists Benjamin Franklin Garvin as one of Franklin Faulkner's two stepsons. Judge Faulkner had four wives, all Indians, and children with all four of them. Lessley lists Judge Faulkner born in 1814 in Virginia. However, Ken Parker's Faulkner Geneaolgy has Judge Faulkner born in Tennessee based on a Tennessee Census.

Do you know whether Mildred Choate Taylor has a Users Home Page online. I still haven't contacted her yet. By the way, both Lessley and Parker have Home Pages online too. Thanks. JIM

(All of the information on Silas Choate was was provided by Mildred Taylor)

The first Choate I can actually document as our ancestor is Silas Choate. The 1860 census of White Inhabitants Living on Indian Lands West of Arkansas states he was born about 1780 in North Carolina. In 1848, in a sworn statement, he stated, "I am a white man with a Cherokee family." In 1906, his only surviving child stated that her father was white.
There were only 3 Choat/Shoat families living in North Carolina at the time of the 1790 Census that had sons under 16 years of age. They were Moses Shoat, Austin Shoat, and Sabret (Seybert) Choat. Moses and Austin lived in Morgan District, Burke County and Seybert lived in Morgan District, Wilkes County. Through America Online, my sister, Georgia Wade, made contact with an Irene Choate Williams in Tennessee who is also researching Choates, and got a list of Seybert's children. He didn't have a son named Silas. She also eliminated Austin as a possible father. Although I have no proof, I have to assume that Silas was a child of Moses. Silas' Cherokee name was Oo-ta-te-yin-tah. I do not know it's meaning.
I have also reached the assumption that Silas had a brother named Sanders. Ms. Williams says she has documents indicating they are brothers. There is a Sanders Choate in the 1820 Alabama Census in Shelby County. That is no more than 50 miles from Wills Valley where Silas lived in 1817. That Sanders Chote was married and had one son and three daughters under 21 years of age, so they were close in age. The only age groups recorded in 1820 were under 21 and over 21. In 1840 Sanders Chote was in Kings River Township, Madison County, Arkansas. At that time, he had a wife, one son and one daughter between 15 and 19, one son and two daughters between 10 and 14, two daughters between 5 and 9, and one son under 5 years of age. Sanders Chote/Choate is such an uncommon name that I believe there has to be a connection. Families sometimes gave a son the surname of the mother; therefore, Silas Choate's mother may have been a Sanders.

Cherokee Emigration Roll - 1817
Silas Chote
Register of persons who wish reservations under the treaty of July 8, 1817.
Nov. 21, 1818 #151 Silas Shoat, in right of wife. No. in family; 3
Place of residence; Near the ford on Wills Creek.

Cherokee Reservation Roll - 1817
Isabella Chote
Abstract of reserve claims acted upon and decided by the fourth Board of Commissioners under the treaty of 1835-36 with the Cherokees.
Claim #1009 The heirs of Isabella Chote.

From the book "Torchlights to the Cherokees", by Robert Sparks Walker, in the chapter entitled Quotations From the Journal, there is this quotation regarding starting the mission at Creek Path. "April 13, 1820. Received a letter from brother Butrick, dated the 8 instant. It was truly welcome, as we had heard nothing from him since the 3d day after he left us, which is now a full month. The prospects at Creek Path are hopeful. He writes: "When we left Brainerd, we lost our path, traveled until sometimes after dark, and came to a road near Little Meat's. We stopped and were greatly refreshed by the kindness of our dear Cherokee friends. On Monday, we traveled to Mr. Pardue's, visited Pathkiller on the way. Tuesday to Mr. Burn's; got a recruit of provisions. Wednesday to a large hickory blown down by the wind, where we had a very comfortable lodging. Thence to Mr. Scott's. Friday to a large white oak log in the woods, between Shoat's and Cox's. Sunday, to
Captain J. Browns " There is more to this quotation, but this is the part that pertains to our family. The Creek Path Mission was about where Guntersville, Alabama is now. Brown's Village was just east of Guntersville, at Red Hill, Alabama.
In a statement attached to Richard Riley's Miller application, he says he and his parents came west in the spring of 1835 and his mother was dissatisfied. That lull his father, Felix Riley, agreed to return to the east but sent his wife and baby son ahead with the Choate family. Richard didn't know what month they started back east, but they arrived back in Wills Valley in November, 1835. Since there was only one Cherokee Choate family, this proves Baxter Choate's statement, made in 1935, that the Choate family made 2 trips.

Cherokee Emigration Register - 1835
They were removed in wagons and steamboats by Lt. J. W. Harris and arrived in the new country May 16, 1835.
Silas Chote
4 males under 10 years of age
2 males over 10 and under 25 years of age
1 male over 50 years of age
1 female under 10 years of age
I female over 10 and under 25 years of age
Total of 9
Arrived May 1, 1835---1 died on the way

Before the round up by the soldiers that began May 25, 1838, a Lt. Edward Deas escorted several groups out to the Indian Territory. (*See below, the Lt. Deas journal.) These groups were made up of Cherokees, who either realized the inevitable or were Ridge sympathizers, and agreed to allow the Army to escort them out. In April, 1838 Lt. Deas took 250 from the Alabama area and the families of Silas Choate, Sanders Choate, and Francis Hampton, Delilah Choate's husband, are on that list. They had all been living at Turkey Town, which was near modern day Gadsen, Alabama. They traveled to the Western Cherokee Nation in about two weeks and no lives were lost on the trip. This is the only group who had no deaths.

Silas Choate
1 male under 10 years of age
3 males over 10 and under 25 years of age
I male over 50 years of age
2 females under 10 years of age
1 female over 10 and under 25 years of age
1 female over 25 and under 50 years of age

Sanders Choate
1 male over 25 and under 50 years of age
1 female over 25 and under 50 years of age

Francis Hampton
1 male over 10 and under 25 years of age
1 male over 25 and under 50 years of age
1 female over 25 and under 50 years of age

From the 1906 Guion Miller Applications, I've been able to establish Silas Choate's marriages and his children in the most likely order of birth. I'm having a real problem matching them to the 1835 and 1838 rosters. I believe the roster reflects the starting number of family members and the notation at the side tells of the births and deaths along the way and the arrival date. Possible conclusions;
4 males under 10 James (1825), Albert (1826), Andrew (1828), and the one who died on the way (1831)
2 males between 10 & 25 = Sanders (1820) and John (1823)
1 male over 50 Silas
1 female under 10 = Celia (1830)
1 female between 10 & 25 = Catherine

1 male under 10 William (1835)
3 males between 10 & 25 =James, Albert, and Andrew
1 male over 50 Silas
2 females under 10 = Celia (1830) and Nancy (1836)

1 male between 25 & 50 Sanders Choate
1 female between 25 & 50 = Susan Riley Choate

1 Male between 10 & 25 = John Choate?
1 male between 25 & 50 = Francis Hampton
1 female between 25 & 50= Delilah Choate Hampton

On the 1838 roster with Francis Hampton and Delilah, there is a male between 10 and 25 years. This is probably John Choate. Since their first recorded child was born about 1838, this male is either written in the wrong column or is one of Silas and Caty's sons.
In an interview on March 19 1937, Silas' grandson, Baxter Choate, stated that Silas and family came west and only stayed a short time, then returned to the Old Cherokee Nation. Later they came west again.
Due to the signing of the 1835 treaty and the assimilation of the Eastern Cherokees with the Old Settlers, the Old Settlers had to give up their claim of land in the west and an established government. This situation created disagreements, so the United States entered into another treaty on August 17, 1846, to give per capita payment to the Old Settlers. After some disagreements over who would be eligible to participate, it was agreed that all those living in March, 1851 would receive payment. There were 3,273 persons enrolled on the Old Settlers Payroll. The 1852 Drennen Roll included Cherokees still living in the East at the time of the 1835 treaty and their descendants. Children with a parent on each roll were enrolled with their mother, and their father was enrolled on the other roll. The Choates are listed on the Drennen Roll in the Disputed District under numbers 73, 74, 75, and 76. This Disputed Roll consists of persons whose status as to where they lived in 1835 was questioned.
#73 Caty Choate (nee Mc Cameron)
Nancy Choate
David Choate
Susan Choate
Polly Choate

#74 Celia Franklin (nee Choate)
Mary Franklin
William Franklin
Malinda Franklin

#75 John Choate
William Choate
Sanders Choate
James Choate

#76 Delilah Hampton (nee Choate)
James Hampton
Sanders Hampton
Isabel Hampton
Lourinda Hampton
Silas Hampton
Susan Hampton

George W. Choate is listed with the Reverend Stephen Foreman family in Tahlequah District #234. Mrs. Sallie (Sarah) Foreman nee Riley was his mother's sister.
In the 1860 Census of Western Arkansas and Free Inhabitants Living on Indian Lands West of Arkansas, Silas Choate's enrollment reads as;
Houses and families numbered in order of visitation.
#428 Shoat, Silas / 80 M I Farmer / Born in North Carolina
On the same page in the census book were #426, Frances Hampton (Delilah's husband) and #433, Benjamin Franklin (Celia Choate's husband).
When Silas came west the second time, he settled at Greenwood Junction, near the present state line of Oklahoma and Arkansas. This agrees with statements made by some of his grandchildren on their Miller Applications. The grandchildren said he lived just out of Fort Smith, Arkansas on the Cherokee side of the river. Note; Greenwood Junction does not exist today, but it was just south of the present town of Dora, Arkansas/Oklahoma. Baxter also stated that Silas died before the Civil War. His daughter, Angerona, said he died in 1861.
I found a book in the Muskogee Library entitled 'Arkansas Newspaper Abstracts' by Morgan. It was genealogical information taken from Arkansas newspapers between the years 1819 and 1845. In the decedents section of the book, an excerpt taken from a Van Buren paper of December 13, 1845 states, " Chote, Silas, deceased. Heirs Sanders Chote, John Chote, James Chote and Delila Hampton." I think the word heirs made the author think this was an obituary instead of a classified notice.
A notice in the Van Buren Arkansas Intelligencer dated December 13, 1845 stated; (The left side of the paper was torn away, causing the notice to be incomplete) (We the) undersigned heirs of Silas Chote, do hereby
.. y, that in the settlement of our claim with
(R M. Farm)ingtin, as our authorized agent. to collect
(Silas) Chote's Reservation claim, he acted hon(orable and fa)irly, as a gentleman in every particular,
with us to our entire satisfaction.

Sanders Chote
..ison Delila Hampton
John Chote
James Chote

is published to show that the state(ment in the) "Cherokee Advocate" was totally
For the satisfaction of all obvious

R. M. Farmington

, Dec. 2, 1845

I want to also find the microfilm of the Cherokee Advocates. I found a tidbit of information that was in the April 17, 1845 Cherokee Advocate, page 3 column 2, stating," Choate orphans (Cherokee), swindling of."
The following journal was kept by Lt. Edward Deas, United States Army, Conductor of the Party from Waterloo, Alabama to the new country West of the Mississippi. The original on file in the National Archives Office of Indian Affairs, "Cherokee Emigration" C-553 Special File 249.

"6th April 1838
Yesterday a Party of Cherokee Indians, in number of Two hundred & fifty, together with some other emigrants of the same tribe who are removing on their own resources, arrived near Waterloo, Ala. by water, under charge of the Superintendent of the Cherokee Emigration. The S. Boat Smelter, provided under the contract for transportation, had been waiting the arrival of the Party, and to day the Indians were established on board of this boat, and one large Keel with double cabins, made and furnished in the manner mentioned in the above named contract.
The Present Party, having previously been Enrolled, were to-day turned over to me as Conductor, and immediately afterwards (about 10 O'clock A.M.) the boat got under weigh and continued to run until after sunset, having come more than 100 miles and laid by on account of the darkening of the night. The weather is remarkable fine at the present, and the Party healthy.
The Smelter appears to be a very good boat, over 150 Tuns Burthen, a fast vessel, and well adapted to the business of the removal of the Indians. The Keel in tow is commodious and appears convenient for the Indians. Temporary cooking-hearths are constructed on the top of it, and there is also a cooking-stove in the after part of the Steam Boat.

7th April
The boats got under weigh this morning at eight and continued to run without any occurrence of importance until near sun-set, when we reached Paducah at the mouth of Tennessee River, and anchored a short time near the Town, not willing to lad on account of the Indians having access to the Whiskey shops. On attempting to set out again about dark, some water was washed into the Keel, (owing to the waves in the Ohio) and the Indians in it were seized with a panic in consequence of supposing the Keel to be sinking, and rushed out of it into the Steam Boat.
There was no danger, but I found it would be impossible to convince them of that fact, and therefore determined to proceed without the Keel, the S. Boat being large enough to transport the party, by giving them the main cabin and lower and forward decks, and having cooking hearths constructed on the latter.
The Party having been removed to the S. Boat, we set out from the mouth of Tennessee River about 10 P.M. and are now progressing rapidly towards the mouth of the Ohio (12 o'clock P.M.).

8th April
The Boat stopped to wood early this morning and passed the mouth of the Ohio about 6 A.M. and has continued to run this day without any accident or occurrence of importance, and is now a short distance above Memphis, (about midnight).

9th April
We reached Memphis last night about 12 P.M. and stopped a short time to procure some Fresh Beef and other supplies. The Boat then continued to run (stopping once to wood) until about 3 o'clock this afternoon, when we reached Montgomery's Point and there stopped in the stream a short time to take in a Pilot for the Arkansas River. We then entered the White River, passed thro' the cut-off and are now ascending the Arkansas and are about 50 miles above it's mouth (9 o'clock P.M.). We find the Arkansas not very high, but shall probably be able to reach Little Rock and may perhaps still go higher. The present party has been subsisting since starting on Bacon, Pork, Flour, & meal, and a small quantity of Fresh Beef.

10th April
We continued to run last night until 11 o'clock when a slight accident happening to the machinery, the Boat was obliged to lie by 3 or 4 hours, and then set out again and continued to run (stopping once to wood) from that time until this evening about 7, and then stopped for the night, ___ it being too dark, and the water too shallow to proceed until the morning. We are now 40 to 50 miles below Little Rock.

11th April
The Boat got under weigh this morning early and reached Lt. Rock about 1/2 past 11 A.M. I had her anchored in the stream to prevent access to Whiskey and went on shore for the purpose of consulting the Principal Disbursing Agent as to the probability of being able to proceed further up the river on the Smelter.
I found it would be useless to attempt to proceed further in a Boat of her size, and therefore made an arrangement for this with the S. Boat Little Rock which is, I found, on the point of setting out for the upper Parts with two Keels in tow.
The Captain agreed to take the present Party as far up as possible for $5 each for the whole distance and proportionately for a less, which I ascertained to be a reasonable term, and the best arrangement I could possibly make at present. The Party is to have the entire use of one Keel, the Top of the other, & all parts of the S. Boat except the cabins. After landing some provisions from the Smelter I proceeded with the Party on board of her, about five miles above the town and landed for the night. The Little Rock is to come up in the night, and take the Party from the Smelter in the morning.
I purchased to day under authority from the Superintendent of the Cherokee Emigration, Eighty Barrels of (cheap?) Pork, and Eighty barrels of Flour, and turned them over to the Principal Mil. Disb. Agent at Littlerock, for the use of the Cherokee Emigration in the ensuing summer & fall. I obtained these provisions by paying only it's cost and carriage.

12th April
The Little Rock and Keels are heavily loaded the other nearly empty and fitted up for the Indians arrived last night at the point at which I stopped the Party, and early this morning the people and their Baggage were transferred on board of them, from the Smelter. We then immediately got under weigh and proceeded 5 or 6 miles, when the heavy Keel sprung a leak from running on a Bar or Snag, whereupon the Captain found it necessary to run ashore to prevent her from sinking. The whole day has been consumed in getting out the freight from this Keel and stopping the leak. Intelligence has also reached us from above, and from which it is probable that the Boats cannot take up the present Party & also the freight, without much delay. As this would endanger the health of the people (which I deem a paramount consideration) I have determined, if possible, to induce the Captain of the Little Rock to leave his heavy Keel and all his freight, and take up the Party on the S. Boat and the Keel, empty or nearly so. It is desirable to proceed with all possible dispatch, as besides other reasons the Smallpox is in this section of country, a disease, apparently, of all others most fatal to Indians.

13th April
This morning I made a contract with Captain Pennywit (a copy of which I shall foreword to the Department and which therefore need not be here given) to proceed up the Arkansas with the Present Party, with the Little Rock and one Keel in tow, both empty. The freight was landed as soon as possible and about 4 o'clock P.M. we got under weigh and have come about 10 miles and stopped for the night.

14th April
The Indians were got on board this morning at light and the boats have continued to run thro' the day, only stopping a short time to Wood, and by 3 o'clock P.M. had come 50 miles and reached White's on Lewiston Bar 4 miles below that place. The Keel was then landed and every means made to get the S. Boat over the Bar, but without effect. The party is now encamped on shore for the night. Provisions have been issued since starting for 4 days at a time. Yesterday Pork and Flour were issued in pint quantity.

15th April
This morning after the people had had their breakfast, they walked about 5 miles up the south bank of the Arkansas for the purpose of lightening the Boat. The Captain with success then tried a different channel, and by noon we reached a second bar about 2 miles above Lewiston. This it was found impossible to get over and at night the Keel Boat was sent ashore with the Indians Baggage & the Party is encamped on the side of the river, the S. Boat being on the Sand Bar. The Party remained healthy and the weather continues remarkably fine, as it has been since setting out upon the present journey.

16th April
The forenoon was spent trying to force the S. Boat over the Bar without effect, and the afternoon was consumed in getting her ashore on the north bank of the river. The Party remains encamped on the south bank. The river is rising a very little and the weather now looks stormy.

17th April
Much rain fell last night and the people not having Tents, I found it necessary to hire a small house to protect them from the weather. This morning another trial was made to get over the Bar which was successful, and about 11 A.M. the S. Boat reached the point at which the Indians were encamped and after taking the Party on board continued to run until a short time after dark, and stopped for the night at the foot of Five Islands, having come between 30 & 40 miles. Rations of Prime Pork, Fresh Beef& Flour were issued to day for 4 days as usual.

18th April
The Boats started this morning at day light and continued to run until the afternoon with little interruption, but on reaching Ballinger's Bar opposite to Scotia it was found impossible to proceed, partly owing to a strong lead wind. The Boats were therefore landed on the south bank of the river, having run to-day 30 or 40 miles.

19th April
The Boats were separated this morning in order to get over Ballinger's Bar, which was done about 10 A.M. After this they were again lashed, and continued to run until dark, and stopped between the mouths of Horse-Head and Spadna Creeks after running between 20 & 30 miles.

20th April
The Boats started at light and continued to run until about 11 A.M. with a slight interruption from S. Boat. When we reached Titsworth's at McLean's Bottom, having come 25 or 30 miles, I determined to land the Party at this place for the reason, that there would be but little probability of the Steam Boat getting the whole distance to the Cherokee Country, and as the end of the journey would therefore have to be performed by land, under any arrangement, it is better to stop at a point where wagons can be procured.

21st April
The Party is now encamped on the south bank of the Arkansas at Titsworth's in McLean's Bottom. It is a tract of country extending about 10 miles along the south bank of the river and from one to three miles wide and is fertile and well settled. I am now making preparations to proceed by land with as little delay as possible. Rations of Prime Pork and Flour were issued today for 4 days.

22nd April
Note: There was either no entry or the entry was overlooked by the transcriber.

23rd April
On arriving at the present place of encampment, I employed a person acquainted with the surrounding country, to ride through the neighborhood for the purpose of employing wagons. To day a sufficient number has come in as engaged and I have entered into the necessary contracts with their respective owners, and tomorrow the Party will set out.

24th April
This morning the different Families were assigned to their respective wagons. On weighing the Baggage yesterday it was found to amount to much more than the allowance mentioned in the Regulations, but as the Indians were allowed to bring it with them this far, it appeared just, and I considered it my duty, to transport to the end of the journey the Baggage that was their possession when the Party was turned over to me as Conductor, at Waterloo.
16 large wagons and one small one were found necessary and the loading up being finished about noon, the Party was started, and has come about 6 miles and stopped for the night at McLean's Prairie. Oxen, except one of four mules, haul the wagons.

25th April
It rained very hard last night, but cleared up before day. The Party was started this morning about 8 O'clock and has come today 11 miles to the edge of Grand Prairie. Nothing of importance has taken place. We encamped about 3 O'clock P.M.

26th April
The Party set out this morning about 8 o'clock, crossed the Grand Prairie which is 10 miles wide, and come on 5 miles further and encamped about 4 o'clock P.M. Two small children (one a slave) that were sick before setting out on the journey, died this evening. Nothing else of importance occurred thro' the day.

27th April
The Party started this morning about the usual hour, and encamped this afternoon at 3 P.M. after traveling 11 miles. The roads from McLean's Bottom have been level & in good order but the country is not very well watered. The weather has been rather too warm for expedious traveling. We are now about 5 miles from Fort Smith.

28th April
The Party reached Fort Smith to day about 10 A.M. and the crossing of the river was immediately commenced and continued without interruption until dark, when more than half of the wagons and nearly all of the people were got over and encamped on the Cherokee side of the river.
The ferry is not a very good (one). The Boat being too small.

29th April
The ferriage of the Party was finished about 2 P.M. when we again set out and came about 5 miles this afternoon and encamped for the night at 5 P.M.
Most of the people wish to stop at Sallisaw Creek, about 30 miles west of Fort Smith & on the road to Fort Gibson, to which point therefore I propose to transport them.

30th April
It rained very hard last night and to day and continues to do so. The Party however set out in the forenoon about 9 o'clock and after traveling 13 miles encamped at 4 P.M. The Roads to day were tolerably good, though rather hilly for several miles after starting. Nothing of importance took place.

1st May
The weather cleared up last night and the Party started at 7 A.M. and after traveling about 12 miles reached Sallisaw Creek in the middle of the day and encamped near McCoy's.
The roads to day were generally level passing mostly thro' prairies, but were muddy owing to the recent rain.
The Indians were to day received at the present place of encampment, by the Disbursing Agent for the Cherokees (West); they having been previously mustered, and the Party found to be numbered Two hundred and forty-eight, as shown by the Muster-Roll; two deaths only having occurred and they, as has been stated, being small children that were sick before the Party set out upon the journey. After the Party arrived to day at it's place of destination, I paid off, & discharged the Wagoners and also the agents of the Government by whom it was accomplished.
The only source of annoyance upon the journey has resulted from the people obtaining liquor, the use of which with Indians as fin as I have observed invariably results in rioting, fighting or disorder of some kind. The infamous traffic of Whiskey with Indians is carried on to a greater extent at Fort Smith than at any place I have seen, and could any means be devised to check, or put a stop to it, much good must be the result to the neighboring Tribes, or emigrating Parties that may be obliged to pass in that vicinity.
As far as I have observed there is never any difficulty in managing Indians, when sober, provided they are properly treated; but when under the effects of liquor (in the use of which they have no moderation) they are unmanageable, and in many instances Evidence such feelings of hostility, as to endanger the lives of the Agents in charge of them while in the performance of their duty.
When we landed at McLean's Bottom, I found the people unprovided with Tents, or any protection from the weather, and as the Physician was of the opinion that their health would suffer from exp[osure, I considered it my duty to purchase for their use, as much cotton domestic as was sufficient to shelter them from the rain.
The foregoing remarks embrace all matters of interest that came under my observation respecting the Party, from the time I took charge of it, until it's arrival at it's place of destination in the new country.

Edwd. Deas
Lieut. U.S. Army

Burial: Unknown; possibly in the Dora, Arkansas Cemetery.
Degree of Indian: None
Fact 1 (2): 1817, Wills Valley, Alabama in the old Cherokee Nation.
Fact 3 (2): May 1, 1835, arrived in Indian Territory the first trip out west.
Fact 4 (2): October 1, 1835, returned to Wills Valley, Alabama in the fall.
Fact 5 (2): 1860, Farmer in Greenwood Junction, Cherokee Nation, Indian Territory.
Fact 7 (2): Cherokee Name: Oo-tah-te-yin-tah
Home at birth: North Carolina

More About Silas Choate and Catherine Mccameron:
Marriage: Abt. 1828, Cherokee tribe, Indian Territory.

Children of Silas Choate and Catherine Mccameron are:
  1. +David C Choate, b. Abt. 1837, Cherokee Nation Indian Territory (mixed blood), d. 26 Jan 1890.
Created with Family Tree Maker

Search for Family - Learn About Genealogy - Helpful Web Sites - Message Boards - Guest Book - Home
© Copyright 1996-99, The Learning Company, Inc., and its subsidiaries. All rights reserved.
© Copyright 1995-97 by Matthew L. Helm. All Rights Reserved.