The Murrays of Careysville townland, Clondulane (near Fermoy) settled in Beverly, Massachusetts, in 1915, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, in 1856, New Albin, Iowa in 1870 and Winchester, Virginia in 1852.
Patrick Murray, son of John and Johanna Murray of Castlelyons was born about 1770-80.
Patrick married circa 1799, Ellen Barry before records were kept, and probably spent his childhood in Castlelyons, where his father was a steward for the Peard Family. Patrick Murray took a job as a land steward working for Peter Carey, Esq. at Careysville House, after which, it appears that in 1812, he permanently moved his young family to a steward’s lodge on the Carey estate in Clondulane.
Patrick Murray, probably worked cutting stones for a builder doing work for Peter Carey, during a major 1811-1812 construction project on the Careysville estate, involving the erection of the present-day Careysville House. After construction on the “new’ or second Carey House was completed there were additional construction plans executed on the estate involving the building of stone walls, stables and other buildings. Patrick was a resident steward at Careysville. Four subsequent generations of his Murray descendants lived in Careysville and the Clondulane area from circa 1812 through 1969. Of particular interest is that John Baylor, who married Patrick Murray’s granddaughter Johanna Murray, is referred to in his brother’s 1851 Will as “a stone mason of Clondulane”.
While living and working in Careysville, the Murrays farmed 25 acres adjacent to the stewards lodge at the easterly boundary of the Careysville townland. The descendants of Patrick Murray of Careysville kept farms in Clondulane in the 1800s, ran the Clondulane Public House for a time in the 1840s (1846 I. Slater’s Commercial Directory). Some of his children emigrated.
Patrick probably worked on the construction of the many outbuildings on the Carey estate. In 1828, Patrick Murray’s surname is spelled Murrihy in a collection book called the Clondulane Tithes Applotment Book that has survived from the old Clondulane Church of Ireland parish built in 1812, now in ruins on the Clondulane graveyard property. The form of the Clondulane church ruins, bear a strong resemblance to the Anglican Church in Knockmourne, which was built in the same year.
Patrick was expected to pay this tax or “Tithe” to the Anglican Church in 1828, even though he attended St. Patrick’s Catholic Church in Fermoy. This mandatory tax was levied on the local farmers to raise money for the Protestant church.
A landlord commonly provided lodging for stewards on the estate, and, owing to his occupation, it is entirely possible that c. 1812, Patrick may have built the stewards lodge in which he lived, as well as having a hand in the construction of the other workers lodges and outbuildings constructed at Careysville before 1850. The Murrays in Clondulane always leased their cottages and farmland from the Careys and other landholders.
The steward’s lodge at Careysville, called Curragh Cottage, which is still standing, is a “long cottage”, once consisting of two or four rooms, in which the family lived, ate and slept. The roof is slated. In Patrick’s day, there would have been two windows in the front of the cottage and a dirt floor. On the property was an office (privy), fowl house for the hens and chickens, a cow house and farmyard.
Patrick and his descendants, who lived there, farmed 25 Irish acres (about 50 English acres) of land to the east of the cottage, on a ploughlot that slopes from the Clondulane Road to near the banks of the river Blackwater.
Patrick and Ellen had 7 children, all born and baptized before records were kept. These children were residing with their parents in the stewards lodge on the Carey estate, in Clondulane until the 1830s and 1840s when they married and established themselves in the area,