From "Hill Cousins"
Three brothers, Middleton M.M, Thomas B, J, and Abraham (Abram) Wiley Hill came to Bastrop County from Alabama and arrived July 3, 1835 when they both the headright of Edward Burleson for fifty cents and acre, on the Colorado River about 12 miles from Bastrop. Returning to Georgia, Thomas married Sarah and in 1840 and returned to Bastrop Co. to make his residence on the land he owned. On June 3, 1841 his brother Middleton M. M. Hill deeded 1481 acres of the Burleson league to him. At the same time 1556 acres were deeded from Middleton to Abraham Wiley Hill. This land likes in what is now known as Hills Prairie. In 1841 a cotton gin, a saw mill and a grist mill were built in Hills Prairie by the three brothers Middleton, Thomas, and Wiley. ...
Thomas Hill was a Justice of the Peace August 5, 1846. 1850 he moved to Bastrop to educate his sons Thomas Anderson and Dionysious Oliver Hill and there remained until 1857. In the Texas State Gazette for 5 June 1850 there is an advertisement for the Bastrop Academy. Its directors included C.L. McGehee and Thomas B. J. Hill.
After the Civil War he was poor financially and when his sons returned, gave them the management of the farm as he had no slaves left. He apparently died intestate and his land was divided between Mrs. S.L.S. Hill (mother) T.A. Hill, and D.O. Hill. He and Sarah adopted as many as 13 orphans after the Civil War.