In June 1814, my GGG Grandfather, Nicholas Hartzell(b 1795) and Peter Kimmel signed an agreement that Nicholas was to leave Stoystown, Lower Turkeyfoot, Somerset Co., PA and go to Ste. Genevieve, Mo. and set up a Tanyard (in court documents it looks like Skingler Tanyard). I have not been able to find any marriage records, but somewhere Nicholas married Mary Goza (born in GA). I can't find out who Mary's parents were, but in Ste. Genevieve, Mo. court documents, estate sales, Mary was always around Michael, Hugh and Isaiah Goza. Nicholas and Mary had one child, Silas Hartzell, born 5 September 1820 in Ste. Genevieve, MO. Nicholas died September, 1822. Mary married Samuel Staples and they moved to Jefferson Co. MO. and so did Isaiah Goza and his family. Mary Hartzell Staples later moved to Washington Co., MO. Isaiah and his family moved to Puklaski Co., MO. Silas Hartzell married Sarah Marsh Oct 3, 1843. Their children were:
1. Mary Louise b 1844, d 1895, married James Howard Hoyt
2. Laura Jane b 1847, d 1934, married John S, Wilkinson
3. Julia b 1849, d 1924, married James DeArment
4. John B. b 1852, married Belle Wall
5. Virginia b 1856 married never
6. James V. b
7. Alice b 1860 maried Charles Tobias
8. Fletcher b 1864
9. Samuel b 1867, d 1917, married Ella Josephine Nephew
Samuel Hartzell married Ella Josephine Nephew December 28, 1900.
Their children were:
1. Oscar William b Oct 10, 1901, d Feb 3, 1976, married Ethel Hugh Evans. They had one son, Oscar William b August 28, 1952, d November 16, 1993.
2. Myrtle Sally b March 7, 1904, d January 31, 1976, married Frank McFarland. After Frank died, Myrtle married Walter Trolinger in 1944.
3. Bruce Silas b August 5, 1909, d February 23, 1997, married Hattie Josephine Boyer b December 13, 1909, d June 22, 1996. They were married November 2, 1929. Bruce and Hattie had 6 children.
1. Alberta b June 22, 1930 d September 19, 1930
The majority of my ancestors came to Ste. Genevieve, MO. then moved to Washington Co. MO area.
My surnames are: HARTZELL, HIRTZEL, GOZA, NEPHEW, PORTELL, PORTAIS, BOYER, LORE, TROKEY, MARSH, DEGONIA, SALIKEE, MCNALLY, O'BRIEN, BLAIS, DUPIEN, ST. GERMAINE, de CHATTILON, CALVE, DAVIS