Bryant Ward and Nancy (Nanye-hi) Ward (Ghi-gau) 2
Updated August 23, 2008
|About Our Family Research
This is a webpage related to the CHEROKEE WARD FAMILY of Indian Territory. I am a descendant of BRYANT WARD married to NANCY WARD (Ghi-gau) prominent in CHEROKEE history. Thru his son JOHN WARD and KATY MCDANIEL Ward, many of the Wards emigrated in 1834 from Georgia and settled in NE Oklahoma in what was the Cherokee Nation before Oklahoma became a state in 1907. I will be posting related families, cemetery photos, historical documents, family related and unrelated as time permits. I, nor anyone in my family are members of the Cherokee Nation of Oklahoma. Per Article 1, Sec. 2 of the Constitution: whenever any citizen shall remove with his effects out of the limits of this Nation, and become a citizen of any other government, all his rights and privileges as a citizen of this Nation shall cease. My gg-grandfather returned to Tennessee, leaving Indian Territory after 1880.
- Cemetery photo, Caldeen Ward. (50 KB)
Descendant of the Cherokee Ward family, Indian Territory. Married to Nannie Elizabeth Griffin, born Jefferson Co. Texas. Buried at Big Wells Cemetery, Dimmitt Co. Texas. Son of Moses Haynie Ward.
- Cemetery photo. Karl E. Ward (55 KB)
Mt. Hope Cemetery, Dimmitt Co. Texas. Descendant of the Cherokee Ward family of Indian Territory. Son of Caldeen Ward and Nennie E. Griffin Ward.
- Simeon S. Phillips, M.D. headstone Busby Cemetery (106 KB)
Husband of Cynthia Ruth Cornwell.
- John and Charlotte Ward Stover daughters, IT (83 KB)
Mary Madora Stover, married James Campbell Trott.
Charlotte Elizabeth Stover, married James Stanford Fields.
Martha Frances Stover married Thomas Stewart Bacon.
- Clara Alice Ward (1000 KB)
Daughter of Rev. James Ward a Moravian Missionary. He was killed at New Springplace Indiana Territory now Oaks, Oklahoma in 1862 by "PINS" loyal to the northern cause during the Civil War. She died about 1946 and is buried in Tahlequah City Cemetery, Tahlequah, Oklahoma.
- Martha Catherine Ward Cloud, McKey IT census 1910 (531 KB)
Indian population census of Oklahoma 1910.
- Frank Lawson DonCarlos, headstone (106 KB)
2nd marriage to Mary Elizabeth Cornwell, daughter of Mary Catherine Ward Cornwell. Mr. Don Carlos was born on June 6, 1838 on the Grand River in Indian Territory. He was in Company C. 1st Illinois Cavary during the Civil war, Union Army.
- Margaret or Maggie Mae Ward (18 KB)
Daughter of John S. Ward, Salina, Indian Territory
- Mose Haynie Ward, census 1900 I.T. (723 KB)
Son of James Ward and Lucy Haynie Ward. Indian population census.
- Lydia Lowery Hoyt, Worchester Cemetery (78 KB)
Daughter of Major George Lowery and Lucy Benge Lowery. Wife of Dr. Milo Hoyt. Worchester Cemetery, Park Hill. Thanks to Rich in Kansas City, Mo. a descendant for photo.
- Japeth Fritz. Ellis and Melvina Orlina Dobkins (40 KB)
Melvina, daughter of John R. Dobkins and Mary Madora Tittle. Mary Madora, daughter of Daniel Marion Tittle and Rosanna Ward of Indian Territory.
- Mary Elvira Ward Holland 1920 census I.T. (616 KB)
- Major George Lowery (38 KB)
Tahlequah City Cemetery. Larry Ward photo.
- Dan Tittle, Rosanna Ward descendants (11 KB)
L to R, May Edna Ellis, Rachel Sue Madora Ellis, Melvina Orlina "Ollie" (Dobkins) Ellis. Melvina, grandaughter of Dan Tittle and Rosanna Ward, Indian Territory. Daughter of John Robert Dobkins and Mary Madora Tittle.
- 1910 Indian Population Census Indian Territory (430 KB)
G-grandson of George Ward and Lucy Mayes Ward. Their daughter Mary Ward married Joseph Henry Clark. Their son William Andrew Clark married Lillian Belle Berry and they had Joseph James Clark.
- Lucy Benge Lowery (139 KB)
Wife of Major George Lowery. Larry Ward photo.
- Ellis family, Tom Green Co. Texas about 1896 (41 KB)
L to R, John Robert Ellis, Japeth Fritz Ellis, May Edna Ellis, Rachel Sue Madora Ellis, Melvina Orlina Ellils.
- Admiral Joseph James (Jocko) Clark gravesite (82 KB)
Admiral Joseph James Clark, Arlington National Cemetery, Washington, D.C. Photo courtesy of Russell C. Jacobs taken January 2006.
- Ester Hoyt Ward (19 KB)
Wife of Reverend James ward Jr. Buried at Gods Little Acre, Moravian Cemetery, New Salem, Illinois. Source Carol in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
- Reservation Valuation, Dept. of Interior (221 KB)
Charles Ward,Thomas Raper,Jesse Raper and Richard Downing, 1840.
- Matilda Hill (416 KB)
G-grandaughter of Charles Jackson Ward.
- Lydia Ward (24 KB)
Daughter of Reverend James Ward Jr. and Esther Susan Hoyt Ward. Born Aug. 1, 1856.
- Moses Haynie Ward (723 KB)
Son of James Ward and Lucy Haynie Ward. Other family members. 1900 census, Indian territory.
- Clara Alice Ward (53 KB)
Daughter of Rev. James Ward and Esther Hoyt Ward. Born Sept. 14, 1859. Educated as a R.N., her career at Bellvue Hospital, New York City. Returned to Tahlequah, Oklahoma. Source, Carol in Muskogee, Oklahoma.
- James McDaniel Ward 1920 census (360 KB)
Son of Moses Haynie and Elizabeth Lear Ward. Wife, Susan Stepp. Census 1920, Finley, Pushmataha County, Oklahoma.
- Charles Rufus Ward 1st marriage (492 KB)
Marriage license to 1st wife Sarilla Catherine Ray. Williamson County, Tennessee
- Tribute, Staff Sergeant John Holland (456 KB)
G-grandson of John W. Holland and Mary Elvira Ward Holland of Foyil, Indian Territory now Rogers County, Oklahoma.
- SSgt. John Holland (198 KB)
- SSgt. John Holland (75 KB)
- Alice N. Scott Ward and daughters (31 KB)
Beatties Prairie, Indian territory about 1900
- Ward photo (66 KB)
Zuba Sesile Ward Shuburte, Margaret Elizabeth James Ward and Charles Rufus Ward.
- Charles Rufus Ward 2nd marriage (270 KB)
Issue of marriage license Maury County, of 2nd wife Margaret Elizabeth James. 13 July 1881.
- Ella Jane Ward Joiner (33 KB)
Daughter of Charles Rufus Ward and 1st wife Catherine Ray Ward. Lauderdale County Alabama.
- E.C Boudinot II family plot (63 KB)
Tahlequah City Cemetery. Larry Ward photo
- Joseph Keeton headstone, husband of Catherine Ward (555 KB)
Joseph Keeton, husband of Catherine Ward Keeton. Mt. Moriah Cemetery, Gregg Co. Texas. Taken by Larry Ward Oct. 2004.
- Ella jane Ward Joiner and daughter (43 KB)
Ward, Lauderdale County, Alabama.
- Catherine Ward Keeton headstone (589 KB)
Daughter of James Ward and Lucy Haynie of Benton Co. Arkansas. Mt. Moriah Cemetery, Gregg Co. Texas Taken by Larry Ward Oct. 2004.
- Ward (25 KB)
Henry Ward. Son of Charles Rufus Ward and Margaret Elizabeth James Ward, Hardin County, Tennessee. Ca. 1918.
- Old Settler Cherokee Nation Caleb Starr Bean (228 KB)
Laird-Thompson Cemetery, Laird Hill, Rusk Co. Texas. Taken by Larry Ward Oct. 2004
- Ward (26 KB)
Zuba Sesile Ward and Margaret Elizabeth James Ward. Ca. 1915. Hardin County, Tennessee
- Ward (151 KB)
- Cynthia Ruth Cornwell headstone photo, 24 yrs 4m. (100 KB)
Died during childbirth. Daughter of Samuel Ward and Cynthia Wagnon. Born Feb. 6 1878. Her, husband Simeon S. Phillips,M.D. Served the early pioneers in Cooweescoowee District of the Cherokee Nation. Busby Cemetery located just west of Hiway 75, three miles north of Dewey, Oklahoma in Washington County.
- Jay Herbert Ward gravestone (papa) (34 KB)
Resthaven Cemetery, Sperry, Oklahoma. Son of Darius Edwin Ward and Sarah Ritter Ward.
- Female Seminary 1909, Tahlequah, Oklahoma (83 KB)
- Cadron Settlement, Conway, Arkansas. (37 KB)
Lt. Joseph Harris party from Georgia stopped on journey here and many people died of sickness on the way to Indian Territory. Note lines 8 and 9 William England and Mrs. Susie Ward England. Susie is a daughter of John and Catherine (Katy) McDaniel Ward.
- George Howard and Mary Carroll Ward related info
- Martha Gass info, daughter of Lucy Ann Ward & Albert G. Gass
- 1860 Rusk Co. Texas Census, Joseph Keeton, Catherine Ward
- Guion-Miller Roll Index
- Note Gass and Wilkerson, New Home Cemetery, Peggs, Okla.
- Bryant Ward, John Martin, Joseph Martin , Elizabeth Martin
- General Allotment Act (Dawes Act)
- Brainerd Mission Cemetery, Hoyt info and others
- George Harlan Starr, Mt. Tabor Cemetery, Rusk Co.
- 1880 Cherokee Census
- Lucy Keeton, daughter Catherine Ward, taken Oct. 24, 1850
- CHEROKEE LINEAGES, JAMES R. HICKS
- The McDaniel Family
- Text of Stand Watie letters to wife, Texas and others.
- The Cherokees of Texas
- Descendants of Moytoy, also see homepage
- Thompson Family (Choctaw) Rusk Co.Texas
- Note Ward, Remson and Sager, Grove, Oklahoma
- ZZ Top
- Ward and related families info
- Mt. Tabor Indian Cemetery, Rusk Co. Texas.
- Hugh Tinnon Ward, interred Bisbee or Evergreen Cemetery
- 1860 Slave Census Cherokee Nation,Ward, Stover
- Elizabeth Ward, Martin Family Genealogy
- Wards/Indian Connection pre 1800s
- Granny Hopper & Old Hop
- ZZ Top
- Vann Ward Cemetery Delaware Co, Okla. virtually destroyed
- Granny Hopper and Old Hop
- Bryant Ward,Joseph Martin info in this site
- Ward info
- Note Gunter, Hastings ,Chandler,Marrs
- Cherokee Constitution, Sept. 6 1839
- Ridge,Stand Watie,Elias Boudinot,Paschal