Descendants of Louis LaJoice
Generation No. 1
1. LOUIS1 LAJOICE was born 1813 in possibly Assumption Sandwich. He married MARY LAVAKE, daughter of REIL LAVAKE and MARY BISHOP. She died 27 June 1907 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA.
Notes for LOUIS LAJOICE:
1) On July 3, 1999, I was in St. Ignace doing research. I started at the Gros Cap Twp. office next to the cemetery and was chatting with a staff member. She asked me what family I was researching and I told her, "LaJoice." She told me there had just been a man there doing the same thing and he was heading to the library in St. Ignace. She called the library and sure enough he was still there. I flew to the library and met him. His last name was Moore and he was from Wisconsin. His wife and a couple of their kids had gone to the island for the day and he was researching in the area with another of his children. We chatted at the library for a couple of hours. He was descended from Augustus Lajoice and I am descended from his sister Rosella Lajoice. He told me that Louis LaJoice lived on the bay where Lajoice Street is, on the north side of the two track and Gus lived across the way on the south side. Mr. Moore told me he had Louis' pipe and bandolier bag. He also told me that Mary Lavake was a full blooded Iroquois woman. That probably explains why she does not appear in any of the Michigan treaties. We promised to exchange information. I sent him all that I had, but never heard from him again, so I am unable to verify any of the stories with any factual evidence he may have.
2) Just a note on Louis LaJoie's birth location: The only thing I have evidence of is that he and his wife and 4 of his children were born in Canada. Frazine LaJoice said she was born in Collingwood, Ontario, on her marriage record, Gus Lajoice's obituary said he was born in Quebec. Many suppose he is the same Louis Lajoye from Denissen's French Families of the Detroit River Region born to Hyacinthe Bernard dit Lajoie and Marie Villiers dit St. Louis. To my knowledge, no one has ever come forward with a document that supports this claim. To date, there is no extant marriage record or death record for him that has been published that might solve this mystery. For that reason I do not include the Denissen information in this family tree.
3) No death record for Louis Lajoice has been located. Several people report his death occurred in 1918, making him 105 years old. Two things, I believe, disprove this assumption. First, Mary Lavake Lajoice's death record in 1905 clearly indicates she was a widow at the time of her death and finally, a check of the St. Ignace newspaper indicates that the named children of the deceased belong to Louis, Jr., not Sr. His wife's name (Marguerite Robinson) is not mentioned. Recorded at the county court house is a record of a sale of land by Louis Lajoice, Sr. and his wife, Mary to the city of St. Ignace for $1. It was 15 feet wide and 330 feet deep, "...said land being in the 3rd Ward of the City of St. Ignace opposite the Lake View House and being deeded expressly for an alley or street, and for no other purpose." It is the most recent record I could locate and is dated September 28, 1886. Using Mary's death record and the sale of the property, Louis LaJoice's death must have occurred between September 1886 and June of 1905.
4) Fascinating history can be found in the Evening News of Sault Ste. Marie beginning Monday, March 24, 1952. "Aunt" Jane Goudreau, Louis and Mary Lajoice's granddaughter recounted her family history in a week long series that appeared in the paper.
Children of LOUIS LAJOICE and MARY LAVAKE are:
i. LOUIS2 LAJOICE, b. 1839.
ii. AUGUSTUS LAJOICE, b. 1841, Quebec; d. 17 December 1928, Sault Ste. Marie, Chippewa, MI, USA; m. (1) ROSALIE ST. ANDRE, 02 May 1875; m. (2) LOUISE PAYETTE ABAIR, 18 May 1889, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA; b. 1845, Penetanguishene, Ontario, Can.
More About AUGUSTUS LAJOICE:
Burial: 19 December 1928, Gros Cap Cemetary, Mackinac, MI, USA
Funeral Mass: 19 December 1928, Father Holland at St. Ignatius Church
More About LOUISE PAYETTE ABAIR:
Burial: Gros Cap Cemetary, Mackinac, MI, USA
iii. FRAZINE LAJOICE, b. 1845.
iv. JOSEPHINE LAJOICE, b. 1848.
2. v. ROSELLA LAJOICE, b. 15 December 1850, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA; d. 15 October 1945, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
vi. JOSEPH HERCULE LAJOICE, b. 05 January 1853.
vii. ISAAC LAJOICE, b. 1857.
viii. NOEL LAJOICE, b. 1861.
ix. MADELAINE LAJOICE, b. 1864.
x. MARIE L LAJOICE, b. 1865.
xi. OLIVER LAJOICE, b. 25 March 1865.
Generation No. 2
2. ROSELLA2 LAJOICE (LOUIS1) was born 15 December 1850 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA, and died 15 October 1945 in Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA. She married ANTOINE OLIVER THERRIAN 04 November 1872 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA, son of OLIVER THERRIAN and MARIE BELANGER. He was born 23 February 1850 in Bois Blanc Island, Mackinac Co., MI, USA, and died 02 December 1888 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA.
Children of ROSELLA LAJOICE and ANTOINE THERRIAN are:
3. i. JOSEPHINE LUCY3 THERRIAN, b. 12 December 1877, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA; d. 09 October 1941, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
ii. JOSEPH THERRIAN, b. 30 January 1879.
iii. ROSE THERRIAN.
iv. JENNIE THERRIAN.
v. ANN THERRIAN.
vi. OLIVER THERRIAN, b. 14 August 1874.
vii. MARY THERRIAN.
viii. CHARLES THERRIAN, b. 18 June 1886.
Generation No. 3
3. JOSEPHINE LUCY3 THERRIAN (ROSELLA2 LAJOICE, LOUIS1) was born 12 December 1877 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA, and died 09 October 1941 in Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA. She married IGNATIUS BENJAMIN MARTELL 13 February 1893 in St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA, son of ABRAHAM MARTELL and MADELEINE PAYETTE. He was born 17 December 1864 in St. Josephs Island, Algoma Dist., Ontario, Can, and died 16 August 1939 in Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
More About IGNATIUS BENJAMIN MARTELL:
Baptism: 19 January 1865, St. Josephs Island, Algoma, Ontario, Can
Burial: 16 August 1939, Old Cavalry Cemetary, Flint, Genesee Co., MI
Godparents: 19 January 1865, Joseph Abair and Louise Payette
Children of JOSEPHINE THERRIAN and IGNATIUS MARTELL are:
i. ESTHER4 MARTELL, d. 1986.
ii. LEONA MARTELL.
iii. RICHARD OLIVER (DICK) MARTELL, b. 30 July 1894, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA; d. 08 June 1949, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA; m. SIGRID JOHNSON, 1912, Sault Ste. Marie, Algoma, Ontario, Can.
iv. ANTOINE (JACK) MARTELL, b. 1896; d. 08 March 1924, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
v. MARY MADELEINE MARTELL, b. 23 January 1900, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA; d. 24 July 1911, St. Ignace, Mackinac Co., MI, USA.
vi. LEO MARTELL, b. 1901.
vii. HOWARD MARTELL, b. 19 September 1903; d. 1937, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
viii. ABRAHAM MARTELL, b. 1906.
ix. ENAIS BENJAMIN (SONNY) MARTELL, b. 23 June 1911; d. 05 December 1948, Flint, Genesee Co., MI, USA.
x. THERESA FLORENCE MARTELL, b. 27 March 1913.
xi. JOSEPHINE MARTELL, b. 07 February 1915.
xii. ROSE MARTELL, b. 11 November 1918.
xiii. CHARLES (TOBY) MARTELL, b. 11 October 1921, Pelston, Emmet Co., MI, USA; d. 03 May 1990, Indianapolis, IN, USA.