More About the Virtual Cemetery Project
The Virtual Cemetery Project is a collection of tombstone photos and
a fully searchable archive of transcriptions. Members of the Genealogy.com
community contributed all of the tombstone photographs in this collection,
and we encourage you to add your own.
Although you may not have guessed it, cemeteries can be excellent sources
of genealogical information. Using tombstones, you could find an individual's
birth and death dates, and perhaps information about military service.
Sometimes you will discover epitaphs that give you insight into the individual's
sense of humor, ideas about death, or even the way other people felt about
him or her.
Unfortunately, looking at tombstones usually requires extensive traveling.
The Virtual Cemetery Project allows genealogists to help each other gather
this valuable information. By posting your tombstone photos online you
- Help others who are searching for information you already have.
- Create an online memorial for a deceased family member.
- Protect your photos. By posting your photos online, you are adding
them to a growing archive.
- Save travel time by contacting a person who has researched a cemetery
you are interested in.
- Help create an important online resource for genealogists worldwide.
Contribute a Tombstone
Search for a Tombstone