Birth/Adoption of Children
Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
What was it like when his/her children came home for the first time, whether they were adopted or his/her natural children? Some say that this is the most important event of their life. Pick this Topic to record his/her thoughts and feelings.
Was he/she the natural parent of his/her children?
He/she was not the biological parent:
- Did he/she adopt or have foster children? How did he/she come to have children in this way? How long did it take to get custody of the children?
- How old were his/her children when they came into his/her care? Did they understand what was happening?
- Did he/she and his/her children have to go through a period of adjustment when they were first together or not? If so, what difficulties did they have to overcome?
- What was the best part about having new children in the family? Was having children everything that he/she thought it would be?
- If his/her children were too young to know that they were adopted, did he/she ever tell them? Why or why not? What was their reaction? Did they want to search for their birth parents? What did he/she think of this?
He/she was the biological parent:
- Was he/she single or married at the time? Did he/she and his/her partner plan the pregnancy or did it happen unexpectedly?
- What was his/her reaction when his/her partner told him? Was he/she happy, proud, or confused?
- Did he/she have career plans? Did his/her partner's pregnancy change his/her career plans? What decisions did he/she and his/her partner have to make?
- How did his/her family and friends react to the news? Were they excited for him? How did he/she celebrate the event?
- How did his/her partner's pregnancy change his/her life? Did he/she help out around the house? Did he/she go to Lamaze class? Was he/she more responsible or more careful with money?
- Did he/she assist during the delivery? How did he/she feel when the baby was born? What kind of responsibilities did he/she have once the baby was home? How did being a parent change him?