The Watergate Scandal
Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
What did he/she believe about Nixon's involvement in Watergate? This story originally received little attention, but in the end Nixon was forced to resign. Use this Topic to summarize his/her thoughts about Nixon and Watergate.
Beginning in 1972, the Nixon's administration was implicated in the Watergate scandal, which culminated with Nixon's resignation in 1974. Did the events surrounding Watergate interest him?
- If he/she was of voting age, was he/she a Nixon supporter? Why did or didn't he/she like Nixon? Did he/she believe that Nixon would win the election in 1972?
- In June of 1972, five men linked with the Committee to Re-elect the President were arrested. They were accused of breaking into and bugging the Democratic National Committee headquarters, located in the Watergate Hotel. Did this affect his/her opinion of Nixon?
- At the time, Nixon denied any knowledge of the activities related to the scandal. Did he/she believe that Nixon was telling the truth? Did he/she think that Nixon had ordered these actions?
- In August of 1974, Nixon resigned as President of the United States. Had he/she believed all along that Nixon would resign? Did he/she witness Nixon's speech to the nation? What was his/her reaction to Nixon's resignation?
- Did the Watergate scandal affect his/her opinion of government and politicians in general? Did he/she believe that Watergate was an isolated case of political corruption, or did he/she believe it indicated a need for political reform?
- Did he/she worry that the political turmoil associated with the scandal would affect the economy or international relations negatively?