Get writing ideas and topics with the Genealogy.com Biography Assistant
With the writing ideas of this Topic, trace his/her experiences in the American melting pot. Where was he/she born and when did he/she arrive in his/her new homeland? What were his/her first impressions?
Did he/she immigrate to the United States?
- Why did he/she leave his/her homeland? Was it something that he/she wanted to do or did he/she leave out of necessity?
- What was his/her destination in the United States? Why did he/she want to go there? Did relatives already live in that area?
- Did he/she have to leave anyone special behind? A best friend, his/her family, or pets? Did he/she try to keep in touch with them?
- Did he/she come with his/her family or friends, or by himself? Was he/she excited to come to a new country?
- When he/she arrived in the United States did he/she change his/her name? If yes, why? To what did he/she change it?
- How did he/she get to the United States? What were some of his/her experiences during the trip? How long did it take?
- During what year did he/she arrive in the U.S.? How old was he? Was adjusting to his/her new environment difficult? What was particularly strange or new to him?
- Did he/she know English? If no, did he/she learn the language quickly? Why or why not?
- How did it feel to be in a country with so many different nationalities? Did he/she feel that he/she fit in? Why or why not?
- Did he/she have family here? If yes, did they help him get accustomed to his/her new environment?
- Did his/her lifestyle change dramatically? Did he/she change his/her clothing, appearance, living standards, or job? Why or why not?
- Once he/she arrived in the United States did he/she feel he/she was treated differently from someone who was born in the United States? Why or why not?
- Did he/she apply for citizenship? If yes, was this an easy process? Why or why not?
- Did he/she ever go back or want to go back to his/her country of origin? Why or why not?
- What did he/she miss about his/her homeland? What didn't he/she miss?