Here is some information about Grabovo, Hungary (in 1910 Croatia was part of the Austro Hungarian Empire that controlled most of Central Europe.)Grabovo is the birthplace Tomo Grubisa listed on his ship's manifest.It is now part of Vukovar, Croatia.
VUKOVAR, CROATIA, including Grabovo
Vukovar (Croatian: Vukovar) is a city and municipality in eastern Croatia, and the biggest river port in Croatia located at the confluence of the Vuka river into the Danube. Vukovar is the center of the Vukovar-Srijem county. The city's registered population was 30,126 in the 2001 census, up to 31,670 in the municipality.
The name Vukovar (Vukovár, Valkóvár) means "the town on the river Vuka" ('Vuko' from the river Vuka, and 'vár' from the Hungarian word for 'castle'). The name of the river Vuka itself originates from the Slavic word "vuk", which means "wolf" in English.
It is located 20 km east of Vinkovci, 36 km southeast of Osijek with the elevation of 108 m. Vukovar is located on the main road (M7) Osijek —Vukovar—Ilok and on the Vinkovci—Vukovar railway. Vukovar used to be a bigger municipality, but after the war it was divided into several municipalities.
The municipality contains the villages of Lipovaèa, Sotin (Szata), and GRABOVO.
History of Vukovar
Slavic tribes settled in this area in the 6th century. In the 9th century, the region was part of the Slavic Balaton Principality ruled by prince Pribina, part of the Pannonian Croatia ruled by prince Ljudevit, and part of the Bulgarian Empire, while in the 11th-12th century, the region was part of the Kingdom of Croatia, while from the 13th to 20th century was part of the Hungarian Kingdom.
Vukovar was mentioned first in the 13th century as Volko, Walk, Wolkov (original Croatian/Slavic name of the town was Vukovo). Since the 14th century, the most common name used for the town was Vukovár. In the Hungarian Kingdom, Vukovár was a seat of the Szerém (Syrmia) county, which was located between rivers Drava and Sava. In the 16th-17th century, the town was occupied by the Ottoman Empire. In the end of the Ottoman rule, its population numbered about 3,000 inhabitants.
Since the end of the 17th century, Vukovar was part of the Habsburg Monarchy and was included into Kingdom of Slavonia, a Habsburg province that formally was part of both, the Kingdom of Croatia and the Kingdom of Hungary. During this time, Vukovar was a seat of the Syrmia county. Since 1868, when Kingdom of Slavonia and Kingdom of Croatia were joined into the single Kingdom called Croatia-Slavonia, Vukovar was part of this kingdom. In 1910, the population of Vukovar numbered 10,359 people, including 4,092 (39.50%) Croats, 3,503 (33.80%) Germans, 1,628 (15.70%) Serbs, 954 (9.20%) Hungarians, and 183 (1.80%) others.
Since 1918, Vukovar was part of the newly formed Kingdom of Serbs, Croats, and Slovenes (later known as Yugoslavia). Between 1918 and 1922, Vukovar was administrative seat of Syrmia (Szerém) county, and between 1922 and 1929 administrative seat of Syrmia oblast. Since 1929, it was part of the Sava Banovina, and since 1939 part of the Banovina of Croatia. Between 1941 and 1944, Vukovar was part of the Independent State of Croatia, and since 1945, it was part of the People's Republic of Croatia within new socialist Yugoslavia.