Lyall, US Army lawyer in New Caledonia in 1944, my grandfather
My father was adopted, and I only know very little about my biological grandfather (who served in New Caledonia in 1944).
I don't know where to start, any suggestions would be very welcome.
My grandmother bore my father in New Zealand in 1945, and gave him up for adoption (both my grandmother and father are now dead).
The information I have about my grandfather is as follows:
- he was an american soldier of some sort
- I believe his first name was Lyall (perhaps Lyle)
- he was a lawyer, attached to the Adjutant general's department in Noumea
- he may have been a colonel
- he must have been in New Caledonia around August 1944 (because my father was born in April 1945).
- my grandmother's name was Enid Watkin