This was a very useful posting, Jenna. Using the 1804 Probated Will I was able to puzzle out the family as follows:
1. Abraham Samuda, born abt 1683 in Portugal, died 0 Aug 1744 in London, England, occupation 1723 physician, resided 1723-1740 in Portsoken, Aldgate, London, England.Tax records show that Abraham was a physician, residing continuously in London in the period 1723-1740. We also have a reference to the Will of his wife, deceased 1738. There may have been a second wife by whom he had a son, Jacob, in 1744, just before he died. See notes for Jacob.
Married abt 1725, Esther Ferreira, born abt 1699, died abt 1795 in Number 45, Leman Street, St Mary Whitechapel, London, England, resided continuously in the period 1754-1795 in Whitechapel, London, Middlesex, England.Esther: Abraham may have had two wives called Esther. Confusingly, there is a Will, probated in 1738 for Esther Ferreira. The other Esther lived in a house on Leman Street from at least 1754 to 1795.
2. i. David Samuda born abt 1733.
ii. Abraham Samuda, born abt 1734 in London, England, died 1792 in London, England.Abraham's Will was probated in 1792.
iii. Isaac Henriques Samuda, born abt 1735 in London, England, died abt 1800, resided 1753 in Portsoken, Aldgate, London, England, resided 1764 in Leman Square, Whitechapel, London, England, resided 1799 in Aldgate, London, England.Isaac was declared bankrupt in 1764.
3. iv. Jacob Samuda born 1744.
2. David Samuda, born abt 1733 in London, England, died 0 Jun 1804 in London, England, occupation 1762 merchant, London, resided 1762 in Aldborough Hatch, Essex, England.David's Will was probated 19 July 1804.
As early as 1765 David's business was registered at19 Lemon Street, Goodman's Fields, London. He was a merchant and shipowner.
David and his brother were devout in their religion as shown in their involvement in the book "History of the Ancient Synagogue of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews...situate in Bevis Marks...1701-1901" by the Rev, the Haham Dr. Moses Gaster, Chief Rabbi of the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Congregations, London 5661-1901.
Married 31 Jan 1762 in Colchester, All Saints, Essex, England, Alice Luckett, born 1740 in England (daughter of John Luckett and Elizabeth Unknown), buried 1 Sep 1786 in Westminster Abbey, London, England.
4. i. David Samuda born 1766.
5. ii. Benjamin Samuda born abt 1769.
iii. Esther Samuda, born 1770, baptized 16 May 1807 in St Pancreas Old Church, Camden, London, England.The baptism record states that she was born in 1770.
3. Jacob Samuda, born 1744 in London, England, died 1805 in London, England.The date of birth of Jacob is as recorded in a list of Jewish Freemasons prepared by John F Shaftesley.
(It differs from the date of 1748/9 in the family story.)
Jacob was stated to have been born in the Netherlands in an application by his son David (born 1789), to be admitted to the Freedom of London. This application, dated 23 January 1855 was approved by a Common Council in Guildhall. The application stated that Jacob was a native of the Netherlands who came to England in 1775 but was never naturalised. This may have been another error made by his descendants.
Jacob's Will was probated in 1805.
Married abt1780 in London, England, Sarah Abigail Unknown.
6. i. Abraham Samuda born 1781.
ii. Esther Samuda, born 1782 in London, England.
iii. Rebecca Samuda, born 1786 in London, England.
She married Unknown da Costa.
iv. David Samuda, born 1789 in London, England.
4. David Samuda, born 1766 in England, died 30 Jan 1824 in South Street, Finsbury, London, England.David and Mrs. Deborah Hewitt were in a partnership in a plantation in St Elizabeth Parish, Jamaica, owning 335 slaves.
Married 1797, Hanna Henrietta Israel Ricardo, born 2 Jul 1783 in London, England (daughter of Abraham Israel Ricardo and Abigail Delvalle), died 18 Feb 1850 in Dulwich, London, England.Hanna: David Ricardo, the famous economist, born 18 Apr 1772 in London, was Hanna's brother.
i. Jonathan Samuda, born 1807 in London, England, died 13 Oct 1882 in Hartshill, Stoke-on-Trent, Staffordshire, England, occupation company director and administrator.Jonathan's Estate was 30,412 Pounds as shown in the Probate records.
Married 16 May 1849 in Stone, Staffordshire, England, Jane Bromley.
5. Benjamin Samuda, born abt 1769 in England, died 4 May 1848, buried 10 May 1848 in Nunhead Cemetary, Linden Grove, Southwark, London, England.Benjamin's Will of 1843 left all his assets to his second wife, Frances Georgiana Samuda. (Public Record Office, The National Archives, Kew, Richmond, Surrey, England. Probate 11/2078/338, 1848)
Benjamin was sent to Jamaica by his father, David, probably to supervise the plantations owned by his father.
(1) Married 8 Jun 1794 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, Anne Barnjum, born abt 1773 in Westmoreland, Jamaica (daughter of Daniel Barnjum and Bathsheba Bridget Jones), baptized 13 Oct 1774 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, buried 24 Dec 1812 in Westmoreland, Jamaica.Anne: Anne died in the birth of William Hewitt Samuda.
i. David Samuda, born 26 Jan 1796 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, died 24 Apr 1822 in Lundy, Westmoreland, Jamaica, buried 25 Apr 1822 in Savannah-La-Mar, Westmoreland, Jamaica, resided in Lundie Plantation, a property he owned in Westmoreland, Jamaica.
Married 27 Dec 1821 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, Elizabeth Maria Evelyn, born abt 1800.
7. ii. Alice Samuda born 15 Dec 1797.
iii. Benjamin Samuda, baptized 9 Jul 1802 in Westmoreland, Jamaica.
iv. Anne Abigail Samuda, born 1 Sep 1804 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, baptized 23 Sep 1804 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, died 1 Oct 1804 in Westmoreland, Jamaica.
v. Eliza Utten Samuda, born 21 Dec 1808 in London, England, baptized 10 Jul 1810 in Hackney, London, England, died 1 Jun 1895 in Cheltenham, Gloucestershire, England.
Married 5 Oct 1837 in Albury, Surrey, England, Robert Horsenaill.
vi. Daniel John Barnjum Samuda, died 1854 in Lambeth, London, England, baptized 24 Jun 1811 in Hackney, London, England.
vii. William Hewitt Samuda, baptized 24 Dec 1812 in Westmoreland, Jamaica, buried 17 Feb 1823 in London, England.
(2) Married 9 Nov 1815 in Lambeth, St Mary, London, England, Frances Georgiana Walsh, born 1798 in Sandy Creek, Derbyshire, England, buried 27 Oct 1856 in London, England.
viii. Georgiana Frances Samuda, baptized 15 Feb 1818 in St Andrew by the Wardrobe, London, England, died 1886 in Camberwell, Surrey, England.
(1) Married 27 Sep 1840 in Lambeth, St Mary, London, England, Thomas Matcham Wollard.
(2) Married 1852, Charles Frederic Lucas.
ix. Theodore Walsh Samuda, baptized 10 Nov 1820 in Lambeth, St Mary, London, England.
x. Angelina Walsh Samuda, baptized 8 Jun 1823 in Lambeth, St Mary, London, England.
6. Abraham Samuda, born 1781 in London, England, resided 1824-1844 in Spital Square, Mile End, number 34/35, occupation broker and an East and West India merchant.Abraham was a Freemason.
He declared bankruptcy on 12 May 1830.
Married abt 1809, Joy D'Aguilar, born 1785.
i. Abigail Samuda, born 24 Apr 1810 in London, England, died 2 Apr 1907 in Hampstead, 8 Heath Drive, Middlesex, England.
ii. Jacob Samuda, born 24 Aug 1811 in London, England, died 12 Nov 1844 in the trial of the ship Gypsy Queen which blew up, occupation engineer, buried 1844 in Sephardic Cemetery, Mile End, London.
iii. Sir Joseph D'Aguilar Samuda, born 21 May 1813 in London, England, died 27 Apr 1885 in 7 Gloucester Square, Hyde Park, London, England, occupation engineer and shipbuilder.
iv. Rosa Samuda, born 1815 in London, England.
v. Sarah Samuda, born 1819 in London, England.
Rudolf Okker, Montreal, Canada
4 July 2013