Documents in one section, Censuses in another, and so on.
It is growing unwieldly the last few weeks, so I have switched to using cards in an alphabetical file as well.4 X 6 cards work.It has helped me somwhat.If a card is proved not connected, I have the option of throwing it out and moving on, or putting why they are not connected.
I work on one small problem each session, but when other things come up, I make a note or a card and then move on.
I am really just sitting and waiting for a group of responses that I sent off requests for recently.If I receive those, then I will send off for more data, if it exists.Getting further back in History makes finding records more difficult. But the proven lines have solved some problems of documentation for a few centuries back, anyway.