Found these items in The Valley Chronicle (St. Charles, Ill.,) June 24, 1881:
The little village of Ashton, in Lee county, has a cornet band, a big creamery, a $25,000 school building and a stone quarry, and is inclined to put on airs.
Mrs. Wood, near Sublette, in Leecounty, has recently regaled her friends with a most beautiful display of the night-blooming cereus, whichopened five great flowers at once. They are something to be remembered for a life time.
We of Kane county arewont to speak of ourselves as being residents of the greatest dairy region of the west, but the Franklin Electric Light describes a creamery owned by Messrs. Nickey & Todd, at Ashton, Lee county, which gathers the cream from 3,000 cows and manufactures 700 pounds of butter daily. The establishment is a very complete one, and cost about $6,500.
We have received No. 2, Vol. 1, of the Electric Light, a four column quarto paper lately established at FranklinGrove, Lee county, Illinois, by Messrs. Webb & Blocher. It has the latest name in the calendar, and starts with a fine display of local news, spicy editorials and a sarcastic and witty poem devoted to the advertising of a brother newspaper man. Blocher is a genius and we wish him good luck.