I am looking for a family connection in the 1860 census. I am looking for whatever happened to George Hayes. He is with this family in Noble in 1860 as a 16 year old. Did he join the army? Did he die? Did he move nearby and get married? So many questions and not enough answers.
Did William Hayes and his bride Lavinia Phillips Hayes migrate through Noble County after they were married in Williams County, Ohio?
3515 Creech Road
Durham, North Carolina 27704
I have in my possession an Obituary for a Mrs. Eli Cramer; in the Carson City Gazette, Carson City Michigan dated March 11, 1904 and one for the passing of Eli Cramer which states that he was living in Noble County Indiana when he met and married Miss Lucy Catherine Hayes on 12 Dec 1862.
Hers says she died March 6, 1904 at 67 years 11 mon & 6 days.Survived by two daughters, Mrs. Alfred Gardner of 'this place' and Mrs. Harry Allsopp of Niles.Also survived by a brother, David Hayes of Weidman & five sisters, Mrs. Zimmerman of Sheridan, Mrs. Wm. Russell, Bushnell, Mrs. Graham of Muskegon, Mrs. R. T. Huyck of Butternut, and Mrs. S. Arntz of Sheridan.
Looking at the obit summary I can surmise the brother David, and the 5 sisters; Phebe Anabell (Hayes) Zimmerman, Martha (Hayes) Russell, Serena Elmira (Hayes) Graham, Julia LaDora (Hayes) Huyck, and Maribah ‘Mab’ E. (Hayes) Arntz.
I have the death certificates of David R. Hayes, Maribah ‘Mab’ E. Hayes Arntz as well as Lucy Catherine Hayes Cramer, and Phebe Anabell (Hayes) Zimmerman. These death certificates state that Elizabeth Swope is the mother.
What I know is:
Samuel Hayes (07 Jun 1803, Virginia - 29 Aug 1881, Bushnell, Montcalm) married Elizabeth Hannah Swope (22 Jan 1815, Maryland - 07 Mar 1863, Noble County, Indiana)
I have attempted to piece together the children Samuel and Elizabeth from the different censuses.
1)David R. Hayes (04 Jul 1832, Seneca County, Ohio - 23 Nov 1916, Nottawa, Isabella, Mi) Married Almira Esther Swem (16 Jan 1840, Trumbill County, Ohio - 25 Oct 1931, Sherman City, Isabella, Mi) on 28 Sep 1859 in Nobel County, IN
2) William Hayes (1834, Seneca Ohio – UNKNOWN) Married Lavina ‘Leander’ Phillips (born- 1843, Williams County, Ohio – died, UNKNOWN) on 27 Apr 1856, in Williams County, Ohio
3) Lucy Catherine Hayes (31 Mar 1836, Seneca County, Ohio - 06 Mar 1904, Bloomer, Montcalm) Married Eli Cramer (15 Nov 1841, Ohio - 09 Aug 1909, North Shade, Mi) on 12 Dec 1862, in Noble County, Indiana.
4)Phebe Anabell Hayes (04 Jul 1838, Williams County, Ohio – 04 Oct 1913, Sidney, Montcalm, Mi) Married Solomon Zimmerman (24 Apr 1832, Hagarstown, Washington County, Maryland – 19 Oct 1911, Sidney, Montcalm, Mi) on 10 Oct 1854, in Williams County, Ohio.
5) Martha Melissa Hayes (12 Jun 1840, Williams County, Ohio - UNKNOWN) Married William H. Russell (10 Jul 1832, Canada English – 28 Oct 1910, Bushnell, Montcalm) on 22 Mar 1857, in Williams County, Ohio.
6) Maribah ‘Mab’ Elizabeth Hayes (22 Aug 1842, Williams County, Ohio – 07 Jul 1925, Montcalm) Married Sylvester S. Arntz (? Apr 1839, Canton, Stark County, Ohio – 07 Apr 1926, Bushnell, Montcalm) in Date UNKNOWN (1865), Place UNKNOWN
7) George Hayes (About 1844, Seneca County, Ohio – Death UNKNOWN) married UNKNOWN.
8)Rachael Hayes (About 1845, Seneca County, Ohio – Death UNKNOWN) married UNKNOWN.
9) Henry Hayes (About 1848, Seneca County, Ohio – Death UNKNOWN) married UNKNOWN.
10)Serena Elmira Hayes (About 1853, Seneca County – 05 Sep 1832, Ronald, Ionia County, Michigan) married Jacob Graham (22 Mar 1847, Chippewa, Wayne, Ohio - 06 May 1905, Muskegon, Michigan) on 08 May 1870 in Bushnell, Montcalm County, Michigan.
11) Bruce Price Bryce Hayes (03 Jul 1855, Nobel County, IN - 30 Apr 1873, Bushnell, Montcalm) died of drowning, never married.
12)Julia LaDora Hayes (23 Oct 1859, Jefferson, Noble, IN. – 27 Feb 1932, Middleton, Gratiot, MI) Married Ruben T. Huyck (12 Oct 1851, Norwalk, Huron, Ohio – 21 Nov 1926, Carson City, Montcalm) on 03 Mar 1875 in Bloomer, Montcalm
Additional search notes:
Samuel Hayes was born in Virginia 07 Jun 1803. He was the son according to the Michigan Genealogical Death Indexing System, Ledger Page: 349, Record Number: 593, to an UNKNOWN father and to a Catherine Hayes. His death is recorded as of 29 Aug 1881 in Bushnell, Montcalm County, Michigan. At the time of his death he was working as a farmer, he was single/widower, and he died due to the complications of Diarrhea at the age of 78 years 2 months 22 days.
Bruce 'Price Bryce' Hayes, he was born 3 July 1855 to Samuel Hayes (07 Jun 1803, Virginia - 29 Aug 1881, Bushnell, Montcalm) and Elizabeth Hannah Swope Hayes (22 Jan 1815, Maryland - 07 Mar 1863, Noble County, Indiana) in Noble County, Indiana. Following the death of his mother he migrated with his father to Bushnell, Montcalm County, Michigan. According to the Michigan Genealogical Death Indexing System, Ledger Page: 237, Record Number: 50, Bruce Hayes died 30 April 1873 at Fish Creek, Montcalm County by drowning. He was single and worked as a farm hand.
A quick check of the HAYS database shows a Brice Hays b. abt. 1775 in MD, and died in
1846, Noble County, IN; this is a possible as some sort of link to your Hays...His father was
William Brice Hays b. abt. 1749 in VA or PA...