Alexander PORTER & Porter men/women in Spencer & Perry Cos. IN
Trying to verify the Porter relationships listed below to Alexander M. Porter. Hoping to prove or disprove that they were children of Alexander M. Porter and wife Elizabeth Chittim, said to have married in Rutherford Co. NC in Jan. 1795. Verification of marriage from Richard H. Hopkins Bible (Ellen Hopkins, gr-dau of Alexander Porter), that Alex and Elizabeth Chittims were married in Rutherford Co. NC
Felix W. Porter (my ancestor) was the Administrator for the Estate of Alexander M. Porter, as documented in an Appraisement Bill of the Estate at Spencer County, Indiana, Page 85 of the Probate Record Book. Inventory of Alexander M. Porter's estate was taken by F. W. Porter on July 24, 1840, and was appraised by S. B. Combs and Augustin Pursel on July 25, 1840.
Alexander Porter was listed in the 1830 Spencer Co., IN - Hammond Township, p. 159. It appears by the inventory that Alexander M. Porter, was a widower. It is believed he was the father of Felix W. Porter. Felix named one of his sons, Felix A. Porter. The "A" may have been for Alexander.
In 1830, Alexander Porter was listed with the following: 2 males - 18-20; 2 males, 20-30; and 1 male, 60-70. And also 1 female 10-15; 1 female, 20-30; 1 female 30-40, and 1 female between 50-60, so his wife had preceded him in death by the time Alexander died in July or August 1840.
Alex Porter was living in Hammond Township, Spencer Co. IN in the 1830 census. He was appointed Appraiser of the Estate of Hugh Masterson May 14, 1834, Spencer Co. IN. Huff Township was later created out of Hammond Township.
Was Alexander related to Thomas Porter, Spencer Co. IN? - who died July 29, 1845, whose will is probated in "C" book, pages 237, 238, and 239?Has anyone at all researched this Thomas Porter?Need parents, wife and children.
Was Alexander related to Robert Porter, born about 1811, KY per 1850 census record,, died about 1835, Spencer Co. - md. Elizabeth Osburn, July 26, 1832, Spencer Co. IN?
Was Alexander M. Porter also related to Robert Porter in Spencer County? See Estate of Robert Porter -11 Nov. 1835 - John Osborn named Administrator. served at sale in 1836.
Appraisers named: William Rood & James L. Porter.
9 Aug 1836: John Osburn, named Administrator
Sale Cryer: Elijah Watts; Sale 8 August 1836
Believe Alexander M. Porter may possibly have been father of these Porters found in Spencer Co. IN:
1) James L. Porter b April 1810 md Eleanor Taylor 1836, Perry Co. IN; died 1836, Huff Township, Spencer Co.
2) Robert Porter, b abt 1811; d abt 1835; md Elizabeth Osburn, Spencer Co. 1832;
3) Mary Porter, b abt 1812 md Festus Osburn, 1830, Sepncer Co. IN.
4) John W. Porter, b abt 1814; md Elizabeth Combs, 1835, Spencer Co. IN.
5) Felix Walker Porter, b abt 1816, KY per 185o census; md 1st Nancy McKim in 1836; md 2nd Mary Margett Dugan 1844, both in Spencer Co. Felix died between Mar 1853 and Mar 1857.
6) Malinda C. Porter, b. abt 1817, md George Marlett/ Marlatt, 1835, Spencer Co. IN
7) Elizabeth Porter b. PA? abt 1820; md 1840, William Rust in Spencer Co. IN
8) William A. V. Porter, b. about 1821; md Elizabeth Niles 1841, Spencer Co. IN;
Above children are only speculative. Need verification. Where died and buried?
Have much information collected over many years, as well as various legal documents on the above people that I will EXCHANGE with anyone willing to pool their Porter family relationships in Spencer/Perry Cos. IN to verify their kinship. It will help us all to pool our Porter research.
Can you help? Thanks.