Sand Springs Home and Widow's ColonyThe Sand Springs Home is actually two different things. It is the name of the organization Charles Page founded to care for orphans and widows after he died. It is also the name of the building he built to house his orphans. The main dormitory was built in 1918. In it the children had matrons assigned to them to watch after them. In the dining area each family of children had their own table so they could eat together. When Charles Page was still alive he often preferred to eat with his kids at their tables, rather than sit at the main table with the rest of the adults. In recent years the few children who still live at the home were moved into cottages that surround the old home dormitory, which was demolished in 2006 to make way for a new recreation center for the home.
In 1912 Page began the construction of a widows colony for widowed and divorced women with children to support. The colony consisted of forty three-room shotgun houses. As years passed and the old colony homes began to fall into disrepair they were replaced with new two-bedroom brick cottages. The colony grounds came complete with a chapel and a nursery. Each house was complete with free water, free gas, free electricity, free rent, and a quart of milk per child per day. In order for a woman and her family to live in the colony she had to have at least one child still in school, including college, her children had to maintain a "C" average in school and they had to observe all the colony rules of behavior http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Pagehttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Page