Elias Smith [b. 1813 in SC] & Rachel McBee [b. 1831 in SC] are the parents of James M. Smith [b. 1855] in Hill City GA.
Elias Smith -Born about 1813 in SC [according to the 1850 Chattooga Co, GA census] married Rachel McBee of SC [according to the 1850 Chattooga Co, GA census]
Elias and Rachel were married on December 10, 1844 in Chatham Co, GA near Savannah, GA. [Source: Georgia Marriages: 1826 -1850, pages 401 and 567].
NOTE: Elias and Rachel lived In Chattooga Co GA [near Rome].The abbreviation of Chattooga CO is CHATT.The marriage record says they were married in Chatham, Co GA [Near Savannah, GA].Chatham Co’s abbreviation is CHATH.It would have been easy to copy down the abbreviation incorrectly.We need to get a certified copy of their marriage certificate and see if it is actually from Chath. Co, Ga or Chatt. CO GA.
Children of Elias Smith and Rachel McBee This list may not be complete] 1. Henry C [or H] Smith [Had at least 4 children b 1835 in GA [Parents born in SC] d. unknown married Clarissa UNKNOWN [Born in GA. Her parents were born in SC] b. 1837 in GA [Parents born in SC] d.Unknown
2. Hannah b 1847/6 in GA [Parents born in SC] d. unknown
3. William A Smith b 1849 in GA [Parents born in SC] d. unknown
4. Susan Smith [Susana -1870 -age 18 Whitfield CO Ga Census] b.Abt 1851 [according to the 1860 Gordon CO Ga census] d.
5. David Smith b. about 1853 [according to the 1860 Gordon Co, GA census] d.
6. Polly Smith b. about 1855 [according to the 1860 Gordon Co, GA census] d. Married
6B. [Mary Smith] b. 1856 [according to the 1870 Gordon Co Ga census] Note: Polly and Mary may have been the same person.
7. James M. Smith [Had 6 children] b. October 29, 1855 in GA d. July 12, 1930 in Cohutta, GA in Whitfield CO, GA Buried in the Hill City Baptist Church cemetery inHill City GA in Gordon Co, GA married Margaret Bray on March 13, 1881 in Gordon Co, GA b. May 24, 1858 in St. Clair Co, Al d .December 22, 1932 in Cohutta GA. She is buried in Hill City Baptist Church Cemetery in Hill City, GA.
Note: James M. Smith and Elias Jackson Smith married two Bray sisters who were the daughters of Andrew and Rebecca Bray.
8. Barto Smith [moved to Texas] b. 1861 [according to the 1870 Whitfield CO GA census] d.
9. Rachel [married a Westmoreland] b. 1864 [according to the 1870 Whitfield Co GA census]
10. Sarah Smith [according to the 1870 Gordon Co Ga census] Her nick name must have been Sally [She married a Hollaway] b. 1869 [according to the 1870 Gordon Co Ga census] d. - - - 11. Nannie [Married Richard Grant] -
12. Elias Jackson Smith b. 16 may 1875 d5 May 1923 buried in West Hill Baptist Church cemetery in Dalton, Whitfield Co, GA married Sarah Elizabeth Bray [daughter of Andrew and Rebecca Bray] b. Dec 3, 1874 d. Feb 23, 1948 buried in West Hill Baptist Church cemetery in Dalton, Whitfield Co, GA
Note: Elias Jackson Smith and James M. Smith married two Bray sisters who were the daughters of Andrew [b. 1837 in Cobb Co, GA] and Rebecca Bray.
1850 Census of Chattooga CO GA lists the following [family number 950 on page 411]:
Elias Smith age 37 Male Farmer Born in SC Rachel Smith age 21 Fem Born in SC Henry C. age 5 Male Born in GA Hannah age 3 Fem Born in GA William A. age 1 Male Born in GA
Note:In the Hill City Baptist Church cemetery in Hill City GA, a William A. Smith is listed.He was born in January 1888 and he died on Nov 10, 1937.He had nine children according to his obituary. This William A. Smith is old enough to be the son of William A Smith [born in 1849] of Elias and Rachel Smith.William A Smith and James M Smith were long time members of Hill City Baptist Church.
1860 Census of Whitfield CO GA, page 565. Elias Smith age 47 Farmer $1000.00/$1900.00 -Born in SC Rachel age 29 Born in SC Henry H. age 15 -Born in GA Hannah age 11 -Born in GA William age 11 -Born in GA Susan age 9 -Born in GA David age 7 -Born in GA Polly age 5 -Born in GA James age 2 -Born in GA JAMES DEMPSY age 19 Farm Labourer $200.00
1870 Census of Whitfield Co GA [Family Number 641 Tilton Ga P.O, page 154 [134?] Smith, Elias age 60 MW Farmer $900.00 /$150 -Born in SC ------ Rachel age 39 FW Keeping house -Born in SC ------ Henry age 25 MW Farmer - Born in GA ------ Susanna 18 FW no Occupation -Born in GA ------ David age 17 MW On Farm -Born in GA ------ Mary age 14 FW On Farm -Born in GA ------ James age 11 On Farm -Born in GA ------ Barto age 9 MW at home -Born in Ga ------ Rachel age 4 FW At home -Born in Ga ------ Sarah age 1 FW At home -Born in Ga MCBEE, Annie [?] age 84 no occupation -Born in SC
Living next door was his son: [family Number 642] Smith, William age 21 Farmer -Born in GA ----- Mary 19 Keeping house -Born in GA