Robert & Samuel Hairston from SC to TN & MS
My dad's g-g-grandfather Robert Hairston was born abt 1775/1780 (according to the 1820 and 1830 LCT census)in SC. On November 19, 1827, Robert purchased 1025 acres south of the Elk River which was registered September 23, 1829. This being part of a tract granted by the State of
Tennessee to Thomas Polk and where Robert’s son Manley said they lived at the time of his birth in 1809.
Robert married Margret Smeltzer born abt 1785 in Abbeville SC, daughter of George W. Smeltzer who migrated to MO and owned a ferry crossing the Mississippi from MO to IL.
From my dad's great-grandfather Manley M Hairston's bible records, his father Robert died in Mississippi with “inflammation of the stricture of the bladder”. Robert Hairston’s will of August 12, 1841, probated in Marshall County, Mississippi, October 25, 1841, and recorded by the Lincoln County TN court February 1842.
Robert's & Margret's children as listed in the Bible were:
1. Mary Ann (Elizabeth) Hairston born September 20, 1805, in TN; (mrd Kays Meek)
2. Margaret Hairston born October 1, 1807 (not on 1820 census)
3. Manley Madison Hairston born October 7, 1809, in Lincoln County TN off Molino RD about four and one-half miles southwest of Fayetteville;
4. James N. Hairston born Sept. 13, 1812, died before 1860, mrd Mary Vaughn abt 1836.
5. Martha Hairston born Nov 10, 1814 died (age 20 yrs, 6 months, and 24 days) June 4, 1835, of dropsy in the head.
Robert’s brother Samuel was in Lincoln County TN for a short time and Sept 3, 1830, (registered Jan 29, 1831) purchased 120 acres on the south side of Elk River from John C Patton. He later moved to Carroll County MS with wife Julia Meek.
Any information regarding the parents of Robert Hairston and his brother Samuel who came to Lincoln County TN would be greatly appreciated.