History of Allegheny county, Pennsylvania : including its early settlement Chicago : A. Warner Co., 1889 Cushing, Thomas, 1821
Pgs. A312, A313, W. S. ABBOTT, editor and proprietor of the McKeesport Times, was born on Third Avenue, McKeesport, just east of Market St., in 1855.His parents, JOHN C. and JANE (THOMAS) ABBOTT, settled in that city in 1835.His father was a member of the firm of Patton & Abbott, who kept the largest general store in the county at that time.At the age of 15 W. S. entered the office of the McKeesport Paragon to learn the printing business, and on the completion of his trade went to Pittsburgh, expecting to follow printing, but secured a position in the Pittsburgh of R. G. Dun & Co.’s mercantile agency, in whose employ he remained 14 years.He opened a branch of that establishment in Wheeling, W. Va., April 1, 1886, and remained there until July 1, 1887.In July, 1887, he deserted the agency for the journalistic field, having purchased the plant and good-will of the McKeesport Times.It is the official paper of McKeesport and the borough of Reynoldton.The Times building is an imposing three story pressed-brick edifice, Nos. 622 and 624 Walnut St.
MR. ABBOTT has filled theoffices of president of the McKeesport Press Club and second vice-president of the Mendelssohn Club, and is one of the charter member of the original McKeesport Library; is an A. F. & A. M., and politically is an uncompromising stalwart republican.