Sir Robert Adair and Dunskey Castle are mentioned on pages 387 & 388 in the book "A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland" by Lewis. c.1836 - "PORT PATRICK, a burgh of barony, a sea-port, and parish, in the co. of Wigtown. This place is noticed in several documents under the designation of Port-Montgomery, from its having been purchased by the Montgomery family, together with the castle of Dunskey, from its previous proprietor, Sir Robert Adair of Kinhilt.
It retained this appellation until its separation from the parish of Inch, in which it was included till about the year 1623.
The estate subsequently became the property of the Blair family.
For ecclesiastical purposes this place is within the limits of the presbytery of Stranraer and synod of Galloway.
Some remains exist of the castle of Dunskey; and the site of the ancient mansion of the Adairs of Kinhilt is still pointed out.
Around the summit of the hill of Carnpat are remains of two walls of stone, the intrenchments probably of some fortress; but the greater portion has been removed for fences.