re: ADAIR record in Trinity College Dublin, Ireland,register book of students, "Alumni Dublinenses, 1593-1846" ed. by G.D. Burtchaell, and Thomas Ulick Sadleir, 1944 :
ADAIR, John, Pen.(Dr.Hill, Dublin) Mar. 26, 1664 aged 17; son of Andrew, b. co. Down.
(John had been at Dr. Hill's school, Dublin, up to 1664).
In 1641 Capt. Andrew Adair bc. 1618 (probably son ofArchibald Adair when he was dean of Raphoe) had townland of Tallagh in Parish of Templemurry, Killala, which ties him in with Archibald Adair who was of Killala.
Andrew's son, John Adair bc 1646, (grandson of Bishop of Waterford, Archibald Adair who d. 1647) probably was brother of Charles Adair bc 1645-8, who m. Eleanor Cooke of Cookesborough / Cooksborough.
Charles and Eleanor had sons,
John Adair, bc.1668, d. after 1737
and younger son,
(Colonel) Robert Adair 1670-1737 (may have been in Battle of Boyne 1690).
It appears that Andrew Adair's sons Charles and John were born co. Down, N. Ireland.Lt. Andrew Adair probably left Tallagh about 1641 going to Scotland, joining the Scots Army c.1642 and going back to Ireland with his cousin, Sir Robert Adair.
Capt. Andrew Adair was listed in O'Hart's book as being one of the "49'ers", an officer who served in the army of 1649 who was owed money by the government for his services.
They were apparently paid by land grants in Ireland
(he had land near St. Johns-town, co. Longford, Ireland).
re: John Adair, educated in Dublin until 1664 by Dr. Hill.
MS. Carte 49, fol(s). 473
Ormond to the Archbishop of Dublin
Written from: Dublin.28 Nov 1667
Recommends Mr (Thomas ?) Hill for a vacant Prebend, lately held by Dr Hill, deceased.
“.....Within a year of the Restoration, in the opening months of 1661, John Power (Poer / le Poer ?) was collated to the vicarage, and in 1662 the Archbishop of Dublin visited the church with his vicar-general and his registrar, and expunged the entry in the vestry-book relating to the appointment of James Levingston (Livingston) as "derogatory to the ecclesiastical canon."
On Power's death, in 1663 William Hill, a doctor of divinity, and a classical scholar of some note, succeeded to the vicarage. At Oxford, of which he was an alumnus, he had been a fellow of Merton College, and afterwards he had been a schoolmaster at Sutton Coldfield, and had practised as a physician in London.
From London he had migrated to Dublin, Ireland,
in 1652 as master of St. Patrick's Free School,
and in 1660 was appointed master of the City Free School,
where he is said to have had the great Duke of Marlborough as his pupil (with John Adair ?)
He was not long in his preferment at Finglas,
with which he held the prebend of Castleknock,
in St. Patrick's Cathedral,
as in the autumn of 1667 he d. aged 50yrs of fever along with his wife and son.
While Power held the vicarage the southern aisle of the church was assigned for the purposes of a school, and separated from the church, and in it William Hill, who probably was attracted to Finglas partly by the prospect, taught gentlemen's children. In Hill's time the services of the church were, however, not neglected,..... The linen was also washed, the plate scoured, and the church cleaned, and the church-floor levelled and the churchyard fenced.
A few years after Hill's death the church and school-house were new-ceiled and glazed, and the chancel flagged and provided with rails round the Communion table; and, ten years later, there was still larger expenditure, to the amount of nearly £200, upon them.
After Hill's death in 1667, the vicarage, as well as the rectory, had been once more held by the chancellor of St. Patrick's, who was then Peter Manby....”
Interesting to note that Ormond also wrote letters
about Rev. Patrick Adair (and Livingston ?) about the same time.
Would there be any records of the Dublin, Ireland,
City Free School about the time of when the
Duke of Marlborough was a student,
to see if any others Adairs attended ?
It may be that Charles and John Adair may have
been taught by Rev. Livingston a colleague of Rev. Patrick Adair ?