re: Adair files (at www.a2a.org.uk/search/index.asp
type in search : "Bruce Cochrane" )
"AD1688. Information for the Laird of Kinhilt (Sir Robert Adair bc.1659) concerning 2 bonds for money payable under contract of his father and mother, the latter now married to Sir Bryce Cochrane."
"Declaration by Patrick Adair, Belfast, concerning sum of 5,000 Scottish marks paid by Leues Stewart (?) of Elderstown (?), Scotland, as part of the marriage portion of Anna Helena, wife ( widow) of William Adair now deceased (dc.1661) to Sir Bruce (Bryce) Cochrane, at the request of Anna Helena Adair, for the use of her infant son, Robert Adair, and placed by Sir Bruce (Bryce) Cochrane in the hands of his brother, the Earl of Dundonald. 19 April 1688."
Elizabeth Cochrane m. Mr. Blair who took his wife's name and estates. Their son Sir William Cochrane (son of Mr. Blair) was created 1st Earl of Dundonald in 1669.
From : A Topographical Dictionary of Scotland" (short extract)
p.327. Ochiltree, a parish, in the district of Kyle, county of Ayr,
3-1/2 miles (W. by N.) from Old Cumnock, anciently spelt Uchletree.
The lands that constituted the barony of Ochiltree were in 1530 exchanged by Sir James Colville, for the barony of East Wemyss, and became the property of Sir James Hamilton of Finnart, who conveyed them to Andrew Stewart, Lord Evandale, who in 1543 was created Lord Stewart of Ochiltree. (This Stewart family were also of Killymoon,
Castlestewart, co. Tyrone, Ireland. Houston of (Castle ?)Craig, co. Antrim, inherited the Stewart Irish estate c.1700).
After passing to various proprietors in succession, the lands were at length vested in William, first Earl of Dundonald, who gave them to his second son, Sir John Cochrane. They were forfeited to the crown by Sir John Cochrane in 1685; but were afterwards re-granted to his son, William, and remained in the family till about 1730
BLAIR / COCHRANE / SCOTT / ADAIR ?
Alexander Blair, later Cochrane (d prior July 1641)
mc. 24.7.1593 Elizabeth Cochrane
(dau of William Cochrane of that ilk) and had children :
1... Sir John Cochrane bc. 1604,
.....m. Grace Butler (cousin of Duke of ORMONDE ?)
Sir William Stewart of Killymoon and BALLYMENAGH,co. Tyrone, Ireland, High Sheriff and M.P. for County Tyrone from 1747-68.
He commissioned one of Nash's earliest castles,Killymoon, in Co.Tyrone.
He was married to Eleanor, daughter of Sir Henry King.
There was a John Houston of Castlestewart (Killymoon), co Tyrone, N. Ireland, & Craigs, co. Antrim
who left his estate (early 1700s) to his sisters.
They may have been related to the Houstons, below :
Adair file : HA12/F2/3/27
Release and quit claim to the Tough of Clonagherty:
William Houston, Houston Park, Collebackie,
to Robert Adair, Esq. 7 June 1630.
Lease for 99 years of house and garden on south side of street leading to the bridge:
Robert Adair to
William Howstonne and Mareonne Howstonne, his wife,
alias Adair, of Brochdone (co. Antrim) 22 June 1634.
(note: 29 June 1621, land, Carnewell, parish Toscartoun, Wigtownshire, Scotland, transferred from William Houston to William Adair).
(note: HA12/F4/1/28, 5 Nov 1631, general acknowledgement of satisfaction: Robert Howstone, BALLYMENAGH, to Robert Adair, Esq.). Was this BALLYMENAGH in co Tyrone ?
HA12/F4/1/29 (& 37)
Copies of 3 deeds, being leases by William Adair, Ballymenogh, son of Sir Robert Adair, to William Houstone, Kulnabaky, and to Archibald Adair, his brother, of two halves of moiety of all the castles, manors, towns, villages, hamlets, lands, tenements and hereditaments in the Tough, territory or precinct of land called Clonayherty in the County of Antrim, 8 Dec. 1660, and 7 Jan. 1658, respectively, and also assignment of the same by Archibald Adair, after William Adair’s decease, to William Houston, Culnebakky, on condition of payment of certain sums by William Houston to William Adair’s children. 2 May 1662.
(note: HA12/F4/1/37. Letter from William Houstone to Mr. Adair concerning payment of accounts between them. 10 Dec 1660 (see F2/3/25, mortgage) Note that this letter was produced to ROBERT HARPER on his examination. 12 April 1672).
Valuations 1862 :
In the parish of Ahoghill, townland of Craignageeragh, there was a Thomas and Jane Nicholl , who leased 18 and 24 acres, respectively, from Charles ADAIR.
At number 25, Anne Nicholl leased a plantation of one acre from ADAIR.
In the parish of Connor, townland of Slaght, there was a Martha Leith at 3e, who leased a house from ROBERT HARPER.
Would there be any Adair and Houstons in the microfilm registers in PRONI for Cullybackey Presbyterian, co. Antrim, N. Ireland ?