re: Protestant Householder's Returns 1740, Barony of Toome, co Antrim. KIRKINRIOLA PARISH ADAIR, William, ADAIR, Mr. (Rev. ?) John, ADAIR, James, ADAIR, Agnes, & ADAIR, widow.
Were any of these in the "Martin emigration" ?
In 1760 Rev. William Martin, Covenanter minister, resided at Kellswater, Carnaghts townland, Parish of Connor. He had oversight responsibility for societies at Cullybackey, Laymore (Leimore / Leamore, Parish Kirkinriola), Cloughmills, and Dervock. The Presbytery was founded in 1743 and Kellswater became the center in 1760.
There were 5 ships in the emigration led by Reverend Martin, which sailed in 1772. The first 2 sailed from Larne, the next 2 from Belfast, and the last one from Newry. The emigrants settled throughout western South Carolina, many in the Abbeville area. Rev. Martin himself settled in the general area of Abbeville, South Carolina (Rocky Creek in Chester County). After the British burned his church in 1780, he took refuge in Mecklenburg County, North Carolina. Reference "Scotch-Irish Migration to South Carolina, 1772: Reverend William Martin And His Five Shiploads of Settlers" by Jean Stephenson (Shenandoah Publishing House 1970).