ADAM, FREDERICK M., p. 1168
Surnames: ADAM, MOSER, KEERLING, BISSEL, PAYNE, PENROSE, McKINLEY, GASS
Frederick M. Adam, senior member of the well-known firm of Adam Brothers, at Temple, Berks Co., Pa., where he is also serving in the capacity of postmaster, was born in 1879, in Maiden-creek township, Berks county, son of Michael S. and Mary D. (Moser) Adam.
Michael S. Adam, the father, was born in 1849 at South Evansville, Maidencreek township. In 1883 he moved to Temple, where he purchased the store and stock of Daniel Keerling, conducting the business until his death, Jan. 21, 1905. He and his wife, Mary D. (Moser) Adam, had a family of eight children: Alice K., deceased; Charles M., of Birdsboro; Frederick M.; Howard; Robert; William; Myers, and Cyrus. In religious belief the parents were of the Reformed faith. Mr. Adam was a Democrat in politics, and served in various township offices in Maidencreek, including those of school director and auditor. On July 11, 1893, during the administration of President Cleveland he was appointed postmaster by Wilson S. Bissel, postmaster-general.
Frederick M. Adam received his education in the schools of Muhlenburg township, after leaving which he clerked in his father's store until the latter's death, when he took charge of the business, which he has since conducted with much success. He is a man of more than ordinary ability, and his straightforward methods of doing business have won him a large and steadily increasing patronage. On Dec. 3, 1902, he was appointed postmaster by Henry C. Payne, postmaster general, having being recommended by Senator Penrose during President McKinley's administration.
Mr. Adam was married to Cora Gass, daughter of William Gass, and to this union twins were born; Brooke, who died when one year and two months old; and Helen, who died when fifteen days old. Mr. and Mrs. Adam are members of the Reformed Church. He is a Democrat in politics, and fraternally is connected with Washington Camp, No. 107, P. O. S. of A.; Lamoriti Tribe, No. 319, I. O. R. M.; and K. G. E., Castle No. 372.