There is a lot of confusing information about possible children for Moses and Sarah Rhodes.A number of on-line posters list:
1. Mary J. RHODES b: ABT 1848 TN
2. Martha A. RHODES b: ABT 1849 TN
3. James Hickman RHODES b: 11 MAY 1853,TN, d. 16 May 1926 in Hickman Co., TN. Married Rebecca Mobley.
4. Dickson RHODES b: ABT 1855
5. Jennie Kansas RHODES b: 22 FEB 1857, 25 Jan 1931 in Rising Star, Eastland Co., TX.Married Green Asbury Bennett. Apparently, Jennie's death certificate in Eastland Co. listed her father as Moses Rhodes and mother as Sarah Adcock.
6. William P. RHODES b: ABT 1861 TN.On the 1870 cesus with Sarah A. Rhodes (1870 Census TENNESSEE > HUMPHREYS > WAVERLY P O Series: M593Roll: 1539Page: 89).
7. Sarah Elizabeth RHODES b: 24 APR 1865, TN, d. 3 Dec 1927 in Grapevine, Tarrant Co., TX. Married Sam Houston Emery.
8. John Wesley RHODES b: 26 AUG 1872 in Humphreys Co., Tennessee, d.10 Jan 1957 in Brownwood, Brown Co., TX. Married Mary Sophie Turner.
The problem is that Moses and Sarah were on the 1860 census with no children in their household.At a minimum, James (b. 1853) and Jennie (b. 1857) should have been living with them. They weren't. 1860 Middle Division, Dickson Co., Tennesse, Series: M653Roll: 1247Page: 247 MosesRhodes31MFarmer0/205TN Sarah A.33FNCcannot r/w
We also know from probate in Jonathan Adcock's estate that Moses Rhodes was dead by late 1866. This means that John Wesley Rhodes either has the wrong birth date or was from another family.
There was a Sarah A. Rhodes of the right age, b. NC, on the 1870 census in neighboring Humphreys Co. with one child William P.,age 9 1870 > TENNESSEE > HUMPHREYS > WAVERLY P O Series: M593Roll: 1539Page: 89 Sarah A.Rhodes43Fkeeping house 0/175NCcannot r/w William P. 9 Tennessee
The only Sarah Rhodes I found in the vicinity in 1880 was the following: 1880 United States Census District 13, Hickman, Tennessee Dallas KELLEY Self M M W 35 TNHired On Farm NC --- Tennessee KELLEY Wife M FW 27 TN TN NC Walter KELLEY Son S M W 5 TNTN TN W. W. KELLEY Son S M W 3 TNTN TN Minnie B. KELLEY Dau S F W 1 TNTN TN Sarah A. RHODES MotherL W F W 54 NCNC NC Source Information: Census Place District 13, Hickman, Tennessee Family History Library Film 1255263 263> NA Film Number T9-1263 Page Number 283C
None of this seems to fit together.I am beginning to wonder if there was another Moses Rhodes and Sarah Adcock.