I hope someone can answer your questions, because I too descend from an AGNEW family residing in Bedford County, VA. My great grandparents were first cousins, Thomas J. Agnew & Martha McConehey. Thomas was the son of William Agnew & Sally McConohey.
According to someone else's work posted on the internet, my great-great-great grandfather, William Agnew, was supposedly the son of William Agnew and Rachel Booker. Generation #6 below offers information about William and Rachel and their offspring:
-Generation No. 1-
James Agnew 1 is born in Northern Ireland and Immigrated to America in 1711. He was married in Northern Ireland, but date and wife's name are unknown. Known Children:
James Agnew, IIb.1707 Northern Ireland
-Generation No. 2-
James Agnew, IIb.1707 Northern Ireland
-Generation No. 3-
-Generation No. 4-
William Agnew was in Bucks Co., PA area at one time, then moved at some time to Virgina
-Generation No. 5-
-Generation No. 6-
1.WILLIAM1 AGNEW was born 1750 in Bedford County, Virginia, and died 1837 in Bedford County, Virginia.He married (1) RACHEL BOOKER 1771.She was born 1760 in Bedford County, Virginia, and died 1834 in Bedford County, Virginia. William Agnew is listed on the tax rolls of Loudon County in 1787. Children of WILLIAM AGNEW and RACHEL BOOKER are:
i. NANCY2 AGNEW, b. 1772; m. JOHN PEARCY, March 08, 1827, Bedford County, Virginia; b. 1776.
ii. PATSY AGNEW, b. 1774.
iii. PEGGY AGNEW, b. 1776.
iv. JOHN AGNEW, b. 1778, Bedford County, Virginia; d. 1833.
v. POLLY AGNEW, b. 1778.
vi. SAMUEL AGNEW, b. January 01, 1780, Rockbridge County, Virginia; d. November 17, 1868, Floyd County, Virginia; m. SUSANNA PRESTON, December 18, 1802, Bedford County, Virginia; b. June 26, 1785, Bedford County, Virginia; d. April 25, 1854, Floyd County, Virginia.
vii. WILLIAM JR AGNEW, b. 1786, Bedford County, Virginia. He married first, SALLY MCCONOHEY on December 08, 1807 in Bedford County, Virginia.She was born 1787. (He was perhaps same man as Wm B. / Wm. Booker Agnew: William Booker Agnew was born in 1784 in Rockbridge or Loudon Co, VA; and died on 16 Sep 1863 in Bedford Co, VA)
viii. TANNER AGNEW, b. 1794.
ix. SARAH AGNEW, b. 1795, Bedford County, Virginia; m. ZAFANINE NATTS, 1820, Bedford County, Virginia; b. 1794.
x. RACHEL AGNEW, b. 1799, Bedford County, Virginia; m. JOHN SMELSER, November 06, 1819, Bedford County, Virginia; b. 1798.
Below is marriage information spanning early to mid 1800's found at http://www.rootsweb.com/~vabedfor/bedf-m_a.htmhttp://www.rootsweb.com/~vabedfor/bedf-m_a.htm for the Agnew families of Bedford County showing the use of William, Samuel and Rachel as names for Agnew children.
AGNEW, AGNUE Marriage Bonds, Bedford, VA:
• Dec. 18, 1802; Samuel Agnue & Susanna Preston; John Preston, Surety.
• Dec. 8, 1807; William Agnew & Sally McConohey; John McConnehey, Surety.
• Nov. 28, 1814; Isaac Preston & Tamer Agnew; Wm. Agnew, Surety.
• Nov. 6, 1819; John Smelser & Rachel Agnew, dt William; Joshua Burnett, Surety.
• ___ --, 182-; Zafanine Natts & Sarah Agnew, Surety.
• Mar. 8, 1827; John Pearcy & Nancy Agnew, dt William, Sr.; William Agnew, Jr., Surety.
• Jun. 11, 1828; William Agnew & Polly West; John West, Surety; Married by William Harris, June 15, 1828.
• Jul. 1, 1828; Henry Taylor & Jane Agnew; Wm. Agnew, Surety; Married by William Harris, July 3, 1828.
• Aug. 22, 1836; Edward W. Parker & Sarah G. Agnew; William Agnew, Surety; Married by William Harris, Sept. 1, 1836.
• Nov. 1, 1841; Thomas J. Agnew & Martha McConehey; Samuel McConihay, Surety; Married by James Leftwich, Nov. 3, 1841.
• Jan. 30, 1845; Jacob Rule & Rebecca Agnew, dt William, dec; Edward W. Parker, Surety; Married by Jacob Carper, Feb. 4, 1845.
• Nov. 17, 1845; Henry D. Kidd & Mary C. Agnew, dt William; Edward W. Parker, Surety; Married by William Harris, Dec. 10, 1845.
• Oct. 30, 1848; John A. Kidd & Elizabeth Agnew, dt William; Edward W. Parker, Surety; Married by William Harris, Nov. 2, 1848.