Several years ago I had the opportunity to visit the Old Brick Church in Guliford County, that you speak of in your post on the Albrights.I took many photos of headstones there from the Clapp families.Among the photos I also got one of the headstone of Daniel Albright (b. 1-30-1771 d. 4-26-1843)72 yrs 2 mo 26 days.If any Albrights are interested in a copy of this photo contact me at .A complete list of the photos I took that day is, mostly Clapps is:
Index to Brick Church (Guilford Co, NC)Headstones and Photos
1. & 2 View of Clapp headstones
3.Memorial Stone to the founders of “Der Klapp Kirche”, or the Clapp Church, which later became the Brick Church.
4.Memorial plaque in lower right hand corner of the Memorial Stone in previous photo.
5. Johann Ludwig Klop and Anna Margretha Klapin memorial stone.
6. & 7.An original stonelocated in front of the one above.
8.Original stone to the left of the Memorial in C.It looks like this is Anna Margaretha’s.
9. & 10.Closer view of stone in 8.
11.ERECTED to the memory of Elizabeth wife of George Clapp who was born May the ?? A.D. 1716 and died November the ?? A.D. 1839.
From the wall starting at the rear corner of the church.
12.John J. Clapp (b.9-15-1819 d. 7-22-1882) 62 yr 10 mo 18 days
13.Emily wife of J.J. Clapp and daughter of Michael Shoffner (4-23-1822 d. 3-19-1878)“I love the Lord because he hath heard my ------ and my supplication” Psalms ------
14.Sacred to the Memory of Barbara Consort of George Clapp of---- (b.6-30-1786 d. 7-4-1845)
15.----- Clapp (b.1-25-1864 d.6-28-1868) s/o AC and M? Clapp “Be still and know that I am God”
16.Elizabeth Orrian d/o E. & E. Clapp (b.7-15-1851 d. 6-12-1852)
17.In Memory of Emanuel Clapp (b.3-26-1809 d.8-12-1846) aged 17 yrs“There is a world above, where parting is unknown, A long eternity of love, Form’d for the good alone, And faith beholds the dying here, Translated to that glorious sphere…….stone carver L. Leslie, Petersburg, VA
18.In memory of John Henry only son of Emanuel Clapp who was born August 10th . 1842 and died Dec. 12th , 1845. Aged 3 yrs 1 mo 2 days.(unreadable text)
19.In memory of Polly Clapp (b.10-15-1803 d. 7-20-1845) aged 41 yrs.“Jesus can make a dying bed, feel soft as downy pillows are, while on his breast I lean my head, and breathe my life out sweetly there.…..stone carver Leslie, Petersburg, VA
20.Sacred to the memory of Barney Clapp who departed this life Sept. 17th 1844 aged 80 yrs 8mo 10 days.“A soldier of the Revolution”
21. & 22.Sacred to the memory of Judy Clapp (b.3-21-1766 d. 7-22-1845) aged 79 yrs. (unreadable text)
The next three headstones are in the corner of the cemetery behind the church.Mr. Bruce Clapp was unable to say why these three headstones were facing the wall instead of facing the same direction as the others.
23.Elizabeth dau. of John & Elizabeth Trollinger w/o Emanuel Clapp. (b.8-25-1818 d. 5-31-1885) aged 66 yrs 9 mo 6 days.“Love one another”.
24.Lucinda dau. of Peter & Elizabeth Summers wife of David Clapp (b.9-29-1810 d. 2-20-1891) aged 80 yrs 4 mo. 21 days.
25. & 26.Long views showing the three reversed headstones.
27.David Clapp (b. 6-16-1804 d. 12-27-1892) aged 91 yrs 6 mo. 11 days…..(this is the third reversed stone)
28.John Clapp (b.1-??-1772 d.6-22-1866) 94 yrs 5 mo. 20 days
29.Katharine wife of John Clapp (b.1-27-1783 d. 12-21-1860) aged 83 yrs 10 mo 24 days
30.Benjamin s/o Emanuel & Elizabeth Klapp (b.7-25-1849 D. 7-14-1871)aged 21 yrs 11 mo 19 days.
31.George Washington Clapp (b.8-18-1834 d. 12-6-1906) Martha Elizabeth Clapp (b.11-12-1835 d. 1-6-1896) Clarence E. Clapp (b.2-23-1872 d.5-30-1878) Nettie Jane Clapp (b.4-18-1875 d. 12-31-1876)
34.Sacred to the memory of Catherine Huffman (b.12-21-1818 d. 8-17-184?) 27 yrs 7 mo 27 days
35.Sacred to the memory of Jacob Clapp (b. 12-11-1767 d. 10-4-1846) 78 yrs 9 mo. 23 days“Blesed is the memory of the just, and is ----- slumber in the dust….balance unreadable.
36.Clapp:James (b. 7-10-1840 d. 2-4-1870) Adline (b. 11-27-1842 d. 1-13-1919)
38.Infant son Clapp of J.F. and M. L. Clapp, Feb. 3, - 8, 1905 “Save in the arms of Jesus) (This headstone was next to Mary L. Clapp (b.12-12-1870 d.6-16-1911) and J.F. Clapp (b.5-30-1868 d. 10-22-1850)No photo available for them, was No. 37 that didn't get.
39.In Memory of Polly M. Clapp (b. 1-4-1824 d. 6-17-1854) 30 yrs 5 mo 13 days
40.MOTHER: Emily Clapp (b.4-29-1853 d. 3-30-1924) FATHER:John Franklin Smith (b.6-17-1854 d. 2-7-1923) “I know that my Redeemer liveth.”
41.Dexter B. Clapp (b. 6-13-1853 d. 7-5-1968) His Wife Delitha D. Black (b.10-24-1861 d.4-19-1952)
43.In Memory of Elizabeth Clapp (b. 1-24-1811 d. 10-22-1840)Balance unreadable.
44.Erected to the memory of George Clapp (b.4-17-A.D. 1739 d.12-18-A.D. 1806) Unreadable verse.
45.George Clapp above and Sacred to the memory of Elizabeth w/o George (b.5-??-1746 d. 11-2-1839) Balance unreadable, [Did not get photo of Elizabeth’s headstone alone]
46.Clapp: Mary Clapp Shepherd (6-1-1876 d. 10-21-1900 Laura A. Clapp (b. 10-28-1847 d. 12-19-1911) Michael A. Clapp (b. 7-7-1853 d. 11-20-1936)
47. Clapp:Mary Jane Clapp w/o Wilbert Clapp (b.1-28-1851 d. 5-26-1921) Wilbert Clapp (b. 12-24-1848 d. 1-11-1929) Blessed are they that do his commandments, that they may have right to the tree of life.
48. MOTHER:Mary Ellen Clapp (b.3-7-1853 d. 8-29-1927) FATHER:Joel William Clapp (b. 8-28-1857 d. 7-27-1925)
49. Long view of above headstone with other Clapps in backgound.
50.Clapp:Mary L. (b.12-12-1870 d. 6-16-1911) J. Frank (b. 5-30-1868 d. 10-22-1950)
51. Sacred to the memeory of D. William Montgomery (b.12-27-1789 d. 11-30-1843) 53 yrs 11 mo 3 days.“He was 10 years a senator from Orange in the State Legislator and for 8 successive years a Representative in Congress from the8th Congressional district of N.C. in the year 40 he returned to private life and spent the remainder of his days in the engagements of an agricultrurist.”
52. Erected to the memory of Daniel Alright (b. 1-30-1771 d. 4-26-1843)72 yrs 2 mo 26 days. “Farewell thou earth’s all that thee contains, Thy peacefull hills, green meadows, flowers ------,Farewell to houses, orchards, lands.I have above a house not made with hands.Farewell to friends I leave the socializing, And fly to Edon on a–raphs wing.Farewell thou dearest of my ----- with, The ------- of God my place of seeing Him”