ALBRIGHT, WILLIAM H., p. 1545-1546
Surnames: ALBRECHT, HERMAN, TYSON, LANTZ, JONES, SCHAEFFER, TRUMBO
William H. Albright, one of the most popular business men of Mount Penn, Pa., were he is engaged in carriage building, was born Feb. 13, 1865, in Pottsville, Schuylkill county, son of Joseph and Margaret (Herman) Albright.
Joseph Albright was born in 1830 in WÜrtemberg, Germany, and there grew to manhood, learning the trade of Wheelwright. When nineteen years of age he emigrated to America, and first located in New York City, whence he came to Reading, then to Kutztown, and after a short time to Pottsville, where he operated a shop for a while. Mr. Albright then returned to Berks county, locating at Black Bear, and in about 1868 located in Dengler's, now Mount Penn, where he opened the first business of the place, a carriage building shop. This became one of the most successful enterprises of his section of Berks county, as Mr. Albright built up a large and lucrative trade and employed a number of skilled mechanics. He retired a short time prior to his death, which occurred in 1892. In political matters he was a Democrat, and h and his wife were connected with St. Paul's Catholic Church, of Reading.
Mr. Albright was married in Reading to Margaret Herman, daughter of a well-known butcher of that name, in Reading, who died in his ninety-third year. Mrs. Albright still survives and makes her home with her son, being upwards of seventy years of age. She and her husband had these children: Josephine, m. to Charles Tyson, of Mount Penn; Daniel M., of Mount Penn; Carrie, deceased, William H.; Mary, m. to Thomas Lantz, of Manayunk; J. J., a carriage builder of Conshohocken, Montgomery county; Francis, a carriage builder of Norristown; Catherine, m. to Edward Jones, a butcher of Flourtown, Pa.; Annie, unmarried, of Chicago; Henry, a painting contractor of Norristown; Charles, deceased; and Margaret, unmarried, of Norristown.
William H. Albright was reared at Mount Penn, and was educated in the public and St. Paul's Parochial schools of Reading. He then began learning the trade with his father, with whom he worked until sixteen years of age,after which he went to Philadelphia, where, seven years were spent in carriage painting. He then returned to Mount Penn and formed a partnership with his brother, Daniel M., under the firm name of Albright and Brother, which partnership continued about two years, at the end of which time William H. resigned from the firm and spent four years at different points as a journeyman painter. In 1892, he returned to Dengler's and succeeded his father in business, in which he has continued to the present time with much success, making a specialty of light work, as buggies, milk wagons, bread wagons, etc. Mr. Albright built the present plant of the company, one of the best in this section of the county, and he also owns a comfortable residence in the borough of Mount Penn. In political matters, Mr. Albright is a Democrat. He and his wife are members of St. Paul's Catholic Church.
Mr. Albright was married in 1889 to Miss Martha Elmira Schaeffer, daughter of Emanuel and Maria Trumbo Schaeffer, an to them there were born one son, William H., who died in infancy.
Mr. Albright is a great lover of good horse flesh, and has owned a large number of fast racing horses, among them: "Patsie," 2:09 1-4; "Diamond A.," 2:16 1-4, which he kept in stud three years: "Black Jim," with a record pace of a half mile in 1. flat; "Rixie," 2:13 1-2; an a bay pacer with a record of 2:18. He is now the owner of a four year old, "Kid," a sorrel trotter, with a three year old trial of one-quarter mile in .33 for which animal he has a standing offer of $1,000. Mr Albright is a great lover of all kinds of sport, and is ready to engage in a friendly bout at any time. He is a genial, whole-souled gentleman and his friends are legion.