Since your email address is “hidden,” this is the only way to reply to your recent postings #8263 and 8265.
To settle the question of which Sharpe was Jemima’s husband once and for all, I hope, this past June I confirmed with my own eyes that the inscription on the joint gravestone of Jemima and her maiden daughter Sarah reads (for Sarah), “daughter to James and Jemima Sharpe” (note spelling with the “e”, which is also the spelling of Jemima’s surname on her half of the stone).Others have John Sharpe or Thomas Sharpem, but this is hard evidence it was James (pun intended).
From a list of Sharp(e) descendants sent to me about a year ago, here is what I have for James and Jemima Alexander Sharpe’s children (I do not vouch for the authenticity of each and every person and date).
1. John Sharpeb. c.1745Cecil Co. MDd. before April 28, 1752
2. Isabella Sharpeb. July 8, 1745Cecil Co. MDd. July 8, 1829Pike Co. MOm. Dec. 22, 1762(Rev.) Thomas Priceb. 1743Anson Co. NCd. c.1790-1800 Lincoln Co. NC(ten children)
8. Sarah Sharpeb. September 16, 1755Anson Co. NCd. September 16, 1794Mecklenburg Co. NC (never married)
A couple of conclusions are possible from this listing:
1) Mecklenburg Co. was split off from Anson Co. in the 1760s, so while the birthplace of the later children is listed as Anson, they were undoubtedly born within what is now the boundaries of Mecklenburg Co. (that’s where Jemima’s brothers Hezekiah and John McKnitt Alexander lived).
2) if the first James was born in Anson Co., then this family’s move from Cecil Co. MD to (what was to become) Mecklenburg Co, NC took place in 1748 or early 1749.
Regarding other Sharpe/Alexander marriages, note the Ezekiel (or Ezekial) Sharpe - Catherine Alexander marriage listed.Catherine was the daughter of Jemima’s oldest brother Theophilus (1714-1768) and his wife Catherine Wallace.
In addition, in the same two families, Jemima’s older sister Keziah (b. May 9, 1720) married James Sharpe’s older brother Walter (b. c.1717).Walter died Sept. 21, 1749 and Keziah died in 1750, both in York Co. PA (I’m currently trying to get a copy of Keziah’s will).As far as I know, they had just one child, Keziah Sharpe, b. 1740, d. ?perhaps both in York Co. PA.
Then Jemima’s younger brother Amos (b. Jan. 13, 1729Cecil Co. MDd. May 1, 1780Cecil Co. MD) married James Sharpe’s younger sister Sarah (b. Jan. 13, 1732 MDd. Apr 1802 Cecil Co. MD), and they had 12 children.
So there was a lot of intermarriage between these two families.Hope this is helpful. David (firstname.lastname@example.org)