NORTHWESTERN IOWA ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION VOLUME III 1804-1926
J. H. ANDERSON
Among the men who have contributed in a large way to the general prosperity and upbuilding of the town of Ruthven, mention should be made of John H. Anderson, who for twenty-nine years has owned and operated the leading drug store here, while during the same period he has cooperated in all local movements for the advancement of the community. He is a native of Sweden, where his birth occurred on the 23d of May, 1866, and is a son of Andrew and Mathilda (Johnson) Anderson. The father came to the United States immediately after the close of the Civil war, locating in Fort Dodge, Iowa, and about three years later sent for his family, who had remained in Sweden until such a time as he should have a home prepared for them. He engaged in the grain business at Fort Dodge, in which he met with success, becoming one of the most prominent men in that business there. The last six or seven years of his life were spent with John H. and his brother Edwin in Ruthven.
John H. Anderson received his educational training in the public schools of Fort Dodge and then came to Ruthven, where his brother Edwin had established himself in the drug business several years previously. He remained in his brother's store until 1897, when he bought the business, which he has conducted continuously to the present time. He has always maintained an up-to-date store, carrying a full line of drugs, as well as the standard proprietary remedies, and also carries a large and well-selected stock of such auxiliary lines as are usually found in a modern drug store. He has devoted himself closely to his business and has always enjoyed his full share of the public patronage in his line.
On October 31, 1900, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Jane Baxter, of Ruthven, and they are the parents of a daughter, Ruth, who attended St. Catherine's school at Davenport, Iowa, where she completed her four year course, in 1924, and is now a student in Iowa State University. Mr. Anderson is a member of Highland Lodge, No. 387, Ancient Free and Accepted Masons, of which he is a past master; Earnest Chapter No. 152, Royal Arch Masons; Spencer Commandery, Knights Templar; Sioux City Consistory, No. 5, Ancient Accepted Scottish Rite, and Za-Ga-Ziz Temple, Ancient Arabic Order of Nobles of the Mystic Shrine. Though unassuming in manner, Mr. Anderson is a man of strong personality, has long held a prominent and influential place in local affairs, and has served a number of years as a member of the school board. His record here has been a most commendable one and has gained for him the high esteem of his fellow citizens.