NORTHWESTERN IOWA ITS HISTORY AND TRADITION VOLUMEIII 1804-1926
J. V. ANDERSON
Another of the sons of Sweden who have come to northwestern Iowa and,by persistent and indefatigable industry along well directed lines, as well asby careful management of their resources, have won prosperity, is J. V.Anderson, who is now retired from active business and is living in Spencer inthe enjoyment of a well earned rest.Mr. Anderson was born in Sweden onthe 12th of December, 1842, and is a son of Andrew and Christina Anderson.He was reared under the parental roof and secured his education in thepublic schools of his home neighborhood.In 1870 he came to the UnitedStates and located near Springfield, Iowa, where he was employed as a farm handfor three years.He then went to Illinois, where he rented a farm for tenyears.In 1883 he came to Clay county, Iowa, and in the following yearbought a farm, to the improvement and cultivation of which he devoted hisenergies with such success that he was enabled to buy more land, until he is nowthe owner of three hundred and twenty acres of rich and well improved land.He remained on that place until 1911, when he retired from active farmingand came to Spencer, where he has since lived and where he owns a finehome.
In 1865, in Sweden, Mr. Anderson was united in marriage to Miss Matilda Carlson, whose parents spent their entire lives in Sweden, both being now deceased.To Mr. and Mrs. Anderson were born twelve children, four of whomare deceased, the survivors being:Carolina, the wife of Axel Johnson;Andrew J.; George W.; Frank A.; Effa M.; the wife of James A King;ErvinE.; Elsa, the wife of George Cross; and Arthur.Mr. and Mrs. Anderson aremembers of the Lutheran church.Mr. Anderson is in the truest sense aself-made man and because of his achievements in a material way and his true,consistent life he has long commanded the respect and good will of his fellowcitizens throughout this community.