The following is a condensed account of Floyd APPLETON's mission to China that started in 1904. It is taken from the source below.
On 17 June 1903, the General Missionary Board of the Free Methodist Church decided to establish a mission in China comprising of eight missionaries. On 18 October 1903, the General Missionary Board appointed Miss Clara A. Leffingwell as Superintendent of the China Free Methodist Mission. Also chosen were the Rev. and Mrs. N. S. Honn of California, Mr. George H. Scofield of New England, Mr. C. Floyd Appleton of Bracebridge, Ontario and Misses Florence H. Myers , Edith Graves, and Lily M. Peterson of Seattle, Washington.
In January 1904, Floyd Appleton left Bracebridge. On 18 November 1904, George Scofield and Floyd Appleton left Seattle for Shanghai, China. After a very stormy voyage they reached their destination on 31 December 1904. Clara Leffingwell had made arrangements with the China Inland Mission to give these young men assistance in getting started in the native language, and also in getting acquainted with the customs of the people. They were under the care and supervision of these noble missionaries for the first seven months of their sojourn in China, and were shown many favors and kindnesses.
On 7 April 1905, Clara Leffingwell, accompanied by Florence Myers and Edith Graves, left Seattle for Shanghai arriving at their destination on 7 May 1905. A week later they started for the interior. It had been decided to locate the mission at Cheng Chow in the Province of Honan. Their route was via the Yangtse River about four hundred miles to Hankow, then by rail four hundred miles to Cheng Chow, at which they arrived on 27 May 1905. At Cheng Chow a compound was rented and occupied by the three women, near the north gate of the city. The buildings of the compound were said to be about two hundred years old. It was summer and the inn where the ladies had to live while their compound was being made suitable was very insanitary. Clara Leffingwell became ill with dysentry on 4 July 1905, dying on Sunday, 16 July 1905. Floyd Appleton and George Scofield were originally located west of Cheng Chow, but when Clara Leffingwell died they went to Cheng Chow and assisted in the establishment of the station and in carrying on the mission.
In the spring of 1906, mission property was purchased near the center of Cheng Chow, and evangelistic work was commenced as soon as the workers were able to make themselves understood by the natives. In addition to the Sabbath service, morning and evening prayers were conducted in the compound by one or more of the missionaries, for the benefit of the teachers, servants, and other helpers. During the summer of 1906, several Chinese gentlemen regularly attended the Sunday services of the Cheng Chow mission, purchased Bibles and Hymn Books, showed an active interest in the work, and finally invited the missionaries to open a mission in their city, about fifteen miles Northwest of Cheng Chow. They did so later in the season, when a compound was purchased in the city of Jungtse Hsien, and George Scofield was put in charge of the work there. It developed into one of the best mission stations of the Free Methodist Church in China.
The Missionary Board appointed C. Floyd Appleton to take over as Superintendent of the mission work in China, a position which he continued to fill until his return home on furlough in May 1910. He was a diligent worker, and traveled much in the early part of his work in China in order to secure such information as would be of use to him in further developing the missionary work. He was usually accompanied in these journeys by George Scofield.
In February 1906, Miss Laura E. Millican, of Seattle, was sent to reinforce the missionaries in China. She was well qualified for the work, having good religious experience and a college education. From the time of her arrival in China she gave herself unreservedly to the cause, and soon developed into a useful missionary. By special dispensation of the Board she was married to Floyd Appleton in June 1907. After their marriage she was made the Treasurer of the mission, which position she continued to hold until their return to America. The station where they labored at this time was Kai Feng Fu.
In 1910, Floyd Appleton had a severe attack of typhoid fever. The effects lingered, threatening to become more serious, and so it was thought best that the Appletons should return home. The furlough resulted in the decided improvement of his health, and on 26 September 1911, they again set sail from Seattle for China. They returned to Kai Feng Fu, Province of Honan, and he was again elected Superintendent of the work in China.
Lily Peterson had been appointed to go to China with Clara Leffingwell in 1905, but her departure was delayed for a year. She eventually travelled in February 1906 with Laura Millican. Her period of missionary service was brief however, for in about two years signs of tuberculosis developed, and she had to return home. She died on 4 June 1908.
On 26 October 1907, Mr. and Mrs. Frank R. Millican, of Seattle, Washington, accompanied by Miss Lucy A. Tittemore, of St. Armand Center, Quebec, and Miss Edith F. Jones, of Jamestown, New York, set sail for China under appointment of the Missionary Board. Frank was Laura Appleton’s brother. After their arrival in the field, the Millicans showed excellent adaptability to their appointed work, readily learning the language, and taking up the other duties of foreign missionary work courageously. When Floyd Appleton was granted a furlough for the improvement of his health, Frank Millican was appointed Superintendent of the mission in his stead.
Edith Jones was a nurse as well as a missionary, and her nursing skill was useful to the mission. She was also a graduate of Syracuse University, and being familiar with office work, did excellent service as Treasurer of the mission during the time the Appletons were away on furlough.
Mr. and Mrs. Fred J. Fletcher went to China at the time of the famine in 1907. They did not go as Free Methodist missionaries. Floyd Appleton met them when he went to the famine district. He wrote to the Missionary Secretary recommending that the Fletchers be given charge of the Orphanage under the Superintendent. The Fletchers were accepted and appointed to the work in Tsing Kiang Pu.
Source: Hogue, Bishop Wilson T., Ph.D., History of the Free Methodist Church of North America - Volume II, (The Free Methodist Publishing House, Winona Lake, Indiana, 1941). Available on the Internet, http://22.214.171.124/E_Books/FreeMeth/hfmc/Vol_2/2hfmc_tp.htmhttp://126.96.36.199/E_Books/FreeMeth/hfmc/Vol_2/2hfmc_tp.htm