Juls- You'll never guess......but mom & I just returned from TN - a second time.We just finished spending 3 days in Meigs Co, Roane Co, and Rhea Co.It's a long story, but I got a "hunch" from familysearch.org and we headed out the following day.We almost called you.
Anyways, I found M.L. Ashly in 2 of these counties. Here's the info:
First off, the 1870 census did have his name spelled wrong.The M.L. Ashly from the 1870 census is really Miles Atchley.
1) Miles Atchley married Elizabeth Mitchell in Meigs Co. on July 21, 1845.I have the record.The handwriting on the record is very poor and other people have translated his name as "Metes Alcley".Joshua Atchley signed with him.
ASSUMPTION: I believe Miles and Joshua are brothers.I also believe the "Joshua" Atchley that signed with Miles Atchley is the Joshua who is the son of Thomas Atchley who is son of Martin O. Atchley who is son of Joshua Atchley. This line is already researched.In all the research, even in Maud Horn's book & the history of Meigs Co book, it states only the "Known" children of Thomas Atchley.....indicating there could be more.....and looking at the 1830 Rhea Co census and the 1840 Meigs Co census, it's easy to see there were more male children in Thomas Atchley's family than is listed in those two sources.Miles Atchley's age fits right in with this family, and he's living in the same county and doing things with this family as noted below.
NOTE: Meigs Co wasn't formed until 1836 and that sometimes made it appear as though people moved from Rhea Co to Meigs Co when they really didn't.
2) Miles Atchley is on a tax list for Roane Co in 1848. (We forgot to xerox this)
3) Miles "Axley" (another spelling error) with wife Elizabeth is on the 1850 Roane Co Census with children: Sarah J. 2 y/o and Margaret E. 1/12 y/o.(I am going to try and tie this Sarah J. child to the Mary Sarah J Atchley that married Tilley Harpe in Clay Co. But I haven't had time yet.)
NOTE #1: Robert Bailey, from the Roane Co Archive Library, knew enough about Roane Co and it's people to tell us that in the 1850 census Miles is living on the border of Roane/Meigs/Rhea.Mr. Bailey suspected that Miles was moving alot since he appeared in Roane in an 1848 tax list and then not again until the 1850 census.
NOTE #2:The 1850 Census also states that Miles is a "hammerman".Robert Bailey also knew that Miles Atchley's neighbors on the census worked at an Iron Works which was close to a border of the county.Mr. Bailey suspected that a "hammerman" would also work at an Iron Works.
4) Miles Atchley, along with Thomas Atchley Sr and Thomas V. Atchley, appeared on the Cherokee Removal Muster Roll 1836-38.My "hunch" here is that it's a father and TWO sons enrolling together.......also, the Captain of the company is Captain Miles Vernon (Thomas Atchley Sr's brother-in-law).
5) In Meigs Co Probate Records (1836-1881), Miles Atchley deeds land to Caleb Moore on July 19, 1854.(I have a summary of this, not the actual record)
6) In Meigs Co Probate Records (1836-1881), Miles Atchley turns Power of Attorney over to Caleb Moore on July 19, 1854.(I have a summary of this, not the actual record)
7) In Meigs County Court Mintues (1836-1881), it is recorded on Oct 1, 1860 that several men left the county because of being on a delinquent tax list for 1860.Miles Atchley is on this list. (Again, I have a summary of this, not the actual record).
8) Miles Atchley with wife Elizabeth is on the 1860 Rhea Co census with children: Sarah J 11 y/o, Margaret 9 y/o, Abigail 7 y/o, Nancy 6 y/o, Audley (m) 3 y/o.
NOTE: Sarah J. would be married by 1870.Abigail could also be married by 1870.The male "Audley" is the only one that doesn't show up in 1870..........he could have died.
This is just a start, but I really think we're on the right track.The 1860 Delinquent Tax List puts Miles on the move toward Clay co.......right where we need him.