Garden Grove Express Thursday, Dec. 7, 1893 Garden Grove, Iowa
Wednesday night of last week at about ten o'clock John ATEN discovered his hay barn on fire. The family and a number of the neighbors were soon doing all they could to arrest the progress of the flames, but notwithstanding all their efforts, the hay barn containing about 20 tons of hay, the corn crib with 600 bushels of corn therein, the cattle shed and the old school house Mr. ATEN had purchased and moved up on his place were all destroyed. Fortunately his large barn was far enough away from the fire that they succeeded in preventing its taking fire.
Mr. ATEN hasn't the least idea of the cause of the fire. From the fact that it originated in the hay barn, the cause may have been spontaneous combustion. The total insurance on the property destroyed was $100, about one-fifth of the loss.