Re: Matilda Avis Nelson County Kentucky 1830's
I've been trying to learn all I can about Matilda's family.I don't know if they are my people but I'm glad to find a Jarboe to connect with.
Here's what I have pulled together on KY Avis'.
• Basil Avis m. bond with Matilda Hagan
12-2-1826 (Nelson Co. Pioneer (magazine) vol. 5 no. 1 p. 5)
• Mary Avis is head of household in Lincoln Co. 1789 for tax purposes.It records 1 person above 16 & under 21, 8 horses, colts & mules.Note: I assume there may have been younger ones in the household that didn't qualify for taxation purposes.(Early Kentucky Tax Records (book) p. 121)
• Marriage Bonds of Nelson Co., KY 1785-1832 vol. 1 (A-J) shows:
>James Jarber marries Matilda Aves, daughter of Mary Aves, Surety, Basil Aves.Consent filed with bond.Witness, Basil Aves.May 10, 1832
>William S. Jarboe marries Ann Hagan daughter of Ignatius Hagan.Surety, Ignatius Hagan.August 16, 1819.
>Other Jarboe (Jarber) marriages listed in 1791, 1792, 1814, 1822
>Basil Aves marries Matilda Hagan daughter of Enoch Hagan.Surety, Charles Hagan.12-2-1826.
• Nelson Co. Kentucky Marriages & Bonds 1833-1848 (Ockerman)
>Sally Ann Avis to Anthony Brown bond: Jul 24 1848 married: Jul 25 1848
Basil Avis signed bond
>Mary Avis (Aud) to Marshall Davidson bond: Jan 28 1833
John C. Aud signed bond
both over 21
• The 1860 U.S. Census of Brown Co., OH shows a Mary Davidson born 1791 in Maryland (a widow).
• Basil & son James (age 36) are heads of household in Nelson Co., KY 1870 census
• The 1850 U.S. Census of Nelson Co., KY confirms that Basil Avis was born in 1799 in Maryland.All his children show born in KY (from 1829 on).
• The 1850 U.S. Census of Perry Co., IN shows that James H. Avis was born in 1810 in Maryland.All his children show born in IN (from 1836 on).
• The 1850 U.S. Census of Perry Co., IN shows that Matilda Avis was born in 1813 in Maryland.All her children with James Jarboe show born in IN (from 1833 on).
• See the two emails from Therese Hauptman.In summary (I think) it tells us that:
> John and Mary Avis of St. Mary's Co., MD took their family to Kentucky, but John didn't arrive.Basil was their son (born in MD in 1799).There is a lack of source references and specifics in the emails.
• See the Jarboe text file that I transcribed from a xerox copy of a page sent to me of an unknown book (seems to be from "Jarboe Family" Book 1 by McQuire).Although there is again a lack of record specificity, it tells us that:
>James Jarboe went from KY to IN and back to KY and married Matilda Avis in Nelson Co., KY
>Matilda was the daughter of John and Mary Avis.Basil and James were her brothers.
>The Avis' arrived in Nelson Co about 1831 according to tax lists.
>Mary Avis, her son James Avis, James and Matlida Jarboe moved to Perry Co., IN.
>Mary Avis is buried in St. Augustine Catholic Church in Leopold.
• The 1860 U.S. Census of Perry Co., IN shows James and Sarah Avis next door to James and Matilda Jarboe.In the Jarboe household is Mary E. Jarboe age 87 born in Maryland.This is probably Mary Avis, mother of Matilda, Basil and James.
• The baptism records of St. Augustine Catholic Church in Leopold show baptism of Francis Ignathium Avis (b. 6-16-1854) on 7-20-1854.He is son of James and Sara Miller Avis.The sponsor is shown as Mary Ellen Avis.
This is the only known Avis family (based on 1850 census') to have migrated from MD.Basil is in KY and James is in IN.Looks like Matilda and Sally are their sisters.I need to find a lot more about all them to complete the picture.
Feel free to contact me at firstname.lastname@example.org.