Here is a family tree of a Baines family that I am hoping is related to my Charles James Baines that went to South Africa to fight in the Zulu war.
Baines Family Tree
Richard Baines (of Preston, Lancashire)
Owned a small grocer's shop in Walton-le-dale, Cotton Spinner and manufacturer, later a coal merchant
Richard and Jane Baines' Son:
Edward Baines Esq.
Magistrate (Justice of the Peace) for the West Riding of Yorkshire and the town of Leeds, and formerly M.P. of the borrow. A printer by profession. "Leeds Mercury employing 41 hands,men and boys" - Owned the Leeds Mercury Paper - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Baineshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Edward_Baines
b.February 5th 1774 (Walton-le-Dale, near Preston, Lancashire)
d. August 3 1848 (age 74 - interned at the Leeds Cemetery -service held at the East Parade Chapel -Catholic)
Daughter of Matthew Talbot Esq. (of Leeds - author of "Analysis of the Bible")
Edward Baines Esq. and Charlotte Talbot's children (only four listed of the 11):
Matthew Talbot Baines (the oldest)
(M.P. for Hull, Queen's Counsel - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Talbot_Baineshttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Matthew_Talbot_Baines and http://www.biographybase.com/biography/Baines_Edward.htmlhttp://www.biographybase.com/biography/Baines_Edward.html)
b. 17 February 1799
d.22 January 1860
Son (only one son): Lazarus Threlfall, LL.M. (born 1836; married 24 April, 1860, Ellen Mary Werge, eldest dau. of Rev. John J. Werge, ?f Mansfield Woodhouse, Notts - Son: Edward George Graham Talbot Baines b. 30th July, 1867 - Lieutenant, York and Lancaster Regiment, 1886)
Edward Baines Jr.
(great author- his History of the Cotton Manufacture  was long a standard authority - knighted in 1880)
b. 1809 (Liverpool)
Family lived at Herkstall Road, Headingley lodge in Yorkshire.
1. Charlotte Baines b. 1830 (Leeds) d. 1879 m. John Willans (1831- 1910), Son: Charles Henry Baines Willans (1857-1957)http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~knibbetc/page3c.htmhttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~knibbetc/page3c.htm
2. Thomas Blocktson Baines b. circa 1832 (Leeds) - widower, and Barrister out of practice in 1881 England Census, living with parents
3. John William Baines b. circa 1840 (Leeds) - clerk in newspaper office
4. Ann Catherine Baines b. circa 1842 (Leeds)
5. Jane Eleanor Baines b. circa 1845 (Leeds)
6. Florence Baines b. circa 1848 (Leeds) - living with parents in 1881 - not married
7. Edward Baines b. circa 1835 - "corn factor, employing 1 clerk" - mentioned in 1861 census - assume its a son.
8. Margaret (youngest daughter of Edward Baines) m. (1844) Charles Reed (b. 1819, d. March 25, 1881, second son of the Rev. Dr.Andrew Reed. of' London - served as Member of Parliament for Hackney and St Ives, knighted), Children: Talbot "Tibbie" Baines Reed b. April 3, 1852 (Hackney) d. 28th November, 1893, was the well-known author of highly rated boys story books (m. daughter of Mr. S.M. Greer-had 3 children), Andrew Holmes Reed b. 1848 d. 1892 (buried in Abney Park Cemetery); Charles Edward Baines Reed b. 1845 d. 1884 (buried at Pontresina) - became a Reverend and Secretary of the British and Foreign Bible Society (Andrew and Charles lived with their grandfather for a while - census record in 1861) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reedhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charles_Reed
(editor and proprietor of Leeds Mercury with his brother Edward Baines Jr.)
b. circa 1812 (Leeds, Yorkshire, England)
b. circa 1822 (Romsey, Hampshire)
1. Edward M Baines b. circa 1844 (Leeds)
2. Mary Baines b. circa 1847 (Leeds)
3. Arthur Paine Baines b. circa 1848 (Leeds)
4. Sarah E Baines b. circa 1855 (Burley Yorkshire)
5. Margaret Baines b. circa 1857 (Burley Yorkshire)
6. Emily R Baines b. circa 1858 (Burley Yorkshire)
7. Henrietta Baines b. circa 1861 (Burley Yorkshire)
(proprietor of Liverpool Times, Parliamentary Agent)
b. 1806 (Leeds England)
b. circa 1815 (Clifton. Golucestershire)
1. Vincent Thomas Baines b. 09 Feb. 1837 (christening: 01 April 1837 Great George Street Independent, Liverpool, Lancashire, England - Twins!!) d. 1880, m. (1865) Charlotte Pryse Eyton (b. 1946, Whitehaven Cumberland. After husbands death she re-married in 1890 to William David Wilson) Children: (there are children it seems)
2. Edward Talbot Baines b. 09 Feb. 1837 (christening: 01 April 1837 Great George Street Independent, Liverpool, Lancashire, England; became an Insurance Broker) m. Elizabeth Job (daughter of Samuel Job who was a Newfoundland Merchant) (lived with father-in-law at Mossley Hill Rd Holmfield House, Wavertree -Lancashire in 1861)
3. Frederick Cruden Baines b. 1838 (West Derby, lan) d. 1898 (Marylebone) m. (1873) Sarah Dobson?
4. Frances Jane Baines b. circa 1840 m. (1860) Edmund Knowles Muspratt (Alkali Manufacture, Chester St Oswald, Cheshire, England, Son of James Muspratt) Children: Hildegarde, Max, Stella, Horace, Edmund B., Clifford (family living at Seaforth Hall Crosby Rd South, Litherland, Lancashire, England in 1881)
5. Mary Ann Eliza "Lizzie" Baines b. circa 1843 (West Derby) m. Hon. Sir Arthur Bower Forwood MP (Liverpool, Lancashire, England Alderman Magistrate Steam Shipowner & Merchant Wharf Serv On Shore) Children: Emily Crosfield, Mildred Lucy, Dudley Baines, Ida Baines, Talbot Brittain, Arthur Noell (family living at Woolton Hill Rd Priory, Little Woolton, Lancashire, England)
6. Charles J Baines b. circa 1845 (Irlam, Lancashire, England)
7. Emily Gertrude Baines b. circa 1848 (Irlam, Lancashire, England) m. (1875) Robert Roberts Children: Gertrude F. (Fanny?) Roberts, Gwynick G. Roberts (family living at 24 Liverpool Rd, Chester St Oswald, Cheshire, England in 1881)
Does anyone know anymore about the "Charles J Baines" who is the 6th child of Thomas Baines?