I have been researching my wife's BARTLETT line. There is a BARTLETT
family bible that has been handed down to the youngest son for many generations. I am using the information from this bible as my starting reference. As some of you have posted messages concerning
James BARTLETT and Susannah SHORT descendants, I will include the first portion of the family history taken from this bible:
James BARTLETT b. May 12, 1793; d. March 8, 1864; m. Susannah SHORT
April 5, 1813 in Franklin Co. VA. She was born April
11, 1795; d. August 1860. Tradition says she was
Children of James and Susannah:
1. Lydia, b. January 31, 1814; m. Jesse CLARK August 4, 1835.
2. Temperance W., died March 4, 1816, apparently as an infant as
this is the only record.
3. Reuben S., b. April 17, 1817; m. Mary SNUFFER September 23, 1841.
A letter in the bible written by John and Hanah SNUFFER to Reuben
and Mary BARTLETT from Franklin Co., VA, June 16, 1844 has a
record of accounts due Reuben as a blacksmith. Another marriage
entry lists Reuben S. m. Sarah Martha REEVES January 9, 1851.
4. Gilly(Lilly) W., b. December 6, 1818; m. John CANNADY Nov 24, 1840.
5. Polly M., b. Aug 8, 1820; m. John BOSWELL Feb 23, 1843.
6. John C., b. May 27, 1822; m. Elizabeth COOK October 30, 1847.
7. Armanda S., b. March 13, 1824; m. William DODSON October 15, 1848.
8. James Monroe III, b. April 20, 1829. Comment- He must have died
because a little over a year later, the following entry was made:
9. James Monroe IV, b. December 16, 1830.
10. Edmond Thomas, b. May 23, 18-- (date torn).
11. Henry Bilbo, b. in Richmond, VA. August 7, 1839; d. June 18, 1890;
m. Mary Jane SMITH December 23, 1858. She was born September 4,
1841; d. November 17, 1915.
The rest of the information pertains to Henry Bilbo BARTLETT and his descendants. Some notes about his Civil War service, 2nd and 4th grade
teaching certificates awarded in Alabama. The Family moved to GA in 1874, etc. I have quite a bit of information on descendants of Henry
to share with those of you interested. What I need is info on other
children of James and Susannah. And an answer to the question of James' parents! I keep finding conflicting info, but I am leaning towards James Bartlett and Temperance Whitlock. The presence of James
Monroe III and IV as children lend me to believe James was really a junior and the daughter that died, Temperance W. well, it just seems
logical. Can anyone help?
Thanks in advance,