WALTER BARTLETT AND FAMILY, Greene, TWP, Trumbull Co., OH. The father of the present subject of our sketch was born in the year 1780; Roswell married Olive Rice (who was-born 1783) in the year 1799, and in the same year moved from the State of New York to Brampton, Canada; during their stay there live children were born to them., viz.: Walter, Lucy, Otis, David E., and Sophronia, all living; the aggregate age of all amounts to three hundred and forty-four years.In 1818 he came with his family into Green Township, and settled on the land he had purchased some time previous. He here endured many hardships and privations, and resided in the same place until his death, which occurred in 1866, at the ripe old age of eighty-five years and ten months. For many years he was one of the leading men of the Township, and was the first Justice of Peace chosen.Otis Bartlett is a minister, who lives in Michigan. David R. joined the Free-Will Baptist Church, and entered into the ministry in May, 1838.Walter Bartlett was born January 3, 1801, and in 1823 married Rosey Coburn. The 13th September, 1824, he moved into a log; cabin on the farm where he now lives.By the marriage just spoken of he became the father of three children, viz: Oliver, Asher C, and Fidelia.Asher is a minister of the Disciple Church. In 1832 Mr. Bartlett lost his wife and youngest daughter.He married again in 1835; this time to Prudence Abbott, of Monroe, Ashtabula, who was born in Massachusetts, in the year 1802; the result of this union was three children, of whom Rosey and Sophia are now living.When thirteen years of age, the subject of this biography made a profession of religion, and in 1835 united with the Disciples.In 1851 a church was organized in Green, and he was chosen Elder; but feeling the great responsibility resting on a Bishop, with some other reasons, he has twice sent in his resignation, but neither time was it accepted ; he still remains in the harness, and probably will until the Great Bishop of souls calls him " Home, home."
From "A History of Trumbull County" by L.H. Everts, 1874