PEARL, the four-year-old daughter of MR. and MRS. FRANK BEARD, died Monday evening at the home of her gandmother, MRS. H. BEARD, of this city.MRS. BEARD and little daughter came about two weeks ago from their home in Norcatur, Kan. and had been visiting in this city during that time.MRS. BEARD had been ill for the past year and had just recovered sufficiently to leave her home and come to Mt. Ayr for a visit.
It seems that she had been taking some medicine in the form of pills and that she had left the bottle containing them sitting on the table, and of course had no thought of the little one getting hold of them, but somehow she climbed up to where the pills were and took the bottle, replacing it after she had taken a sufficient number to kill her.When it was discovered what had transpired and the little one began to succumb to the effects of the pills, Dr. Bement was summoned.He arrived as soon as it was possible, but soon left to secure a stomach pump, but before he returned, the child had passed into the Great Beyond.Nothing could have possibly been done to save her life and the death is a terrible shock to the sick mother and relatives.
The news of her death was immediately telegraphed to her father who was at home in Norcatur, and the remains were taken Tuesday to that place, where the funeral service will be held today, and interment made in the Norcatur Cemetery.