Dear Ms. Mackby.You state so definitely that Grace was the daughter of Roger Beckwith & Dorothy Currer.I have been trying to find the references you mention, as none of the references I find mention Grace at all.I would appreciate any further information you can provide.The sources I find state:
Roger Beckwtih, esq., having sold his lands in Cling, purchased the estate of Aldborough, and settled there.He m. first:Dorothy, daughter of Mr. Currer of Leeds, and had issue:
1) Thomas of Beverley
2) Katherine, m. to Thomas Norton of Elveston
3) Anne, m. to John Robinson of Bolton u pon Swale.
He wedded, secondly, Susanna, daughter of Mr. Brakenbury of Denton and Sellaby, in the count of Durham and by that lady had:(note that his memorial plaque states they were the parents Arthur & seven other children, 4 sons & 3 daughters, there is a son missing)
1) Arthur, his successor.
2) Matthew of Tanfield, in the county of York, m. Elizabeth, daughter of Sir John Buck, knt. Of Piley, in the same county, and was ancestor of the Beckwtih's of Thurcroft and Trimdon, now represented by William Beckwith, esq. (see Burke's Commoners, vol. ii, p. 636)
3) William, m. Margaret, daughter of Bernard Ellis, esq. recorder of York, and widow of Robert Mirfield of Thurcroft.William Beckwith d. s.p. in 1678, and bequeathed Thurcroft to his nephew William.
4) Susan, m. John Anlaby, esq., of Anlaby in the county of York.Her daughter:
Susanna Anlaby, m. first, Arnold Colwell, esq; and secondly Foot Onslow, esq, first commissioner of excise; tby the latter she was the mother of Mr. Speaker Onslow.
5) Judith, m. to William Parker, M.D. of London
6) Hester Beckwith, m. to Thomas Odingsells, esq. of Eperston, in Nottinghamshire.
Roger Beckwith d. 19th January 1634, and was buried in Masham, in the North Riding, where in the choir of the church there was a monument erected to this memory thus inscribed:
Masham Church, Yorkshire – Brass Plaques –
In memory of Roger BECKWITH of Aldborough Esqur. who died on Monday, 19th Jan in the year 1634 and was buried near this place. He married Susanna the daughter of Mr BRAKENBURY of Sellaby in the Co. Palatine of Durham, by whom he had Arthur his successor and seven other children, four sons and three daughters. She departed this life 28th October AD 1670 and lyes buried in the parish church of Skelborough. He was the son of Marmaduke Beckwith of Acton by Ann, daughter of Mr DYNLEY of Bramhope, which Marmaduke was next in descent to Huntington Beckwith of Clint, where the family had continued from the 10th year of King Henry lll AD 1226, untill the year 1597, when the aforesaid Roger Beckwith sold his lands in Clint, and purchased Aldborough.
To the memory of Arthur BECKWITH of Aldborough Esq., who died in the service of his country Anno 1642. He married Mary eldest daughter of Sir Marmaduke WYVILL Kt. And By whom he left two sons and three daughters; she died in the year 1646 and was buried in the church of St Clement Danes, London.
Roger, his successor, married two wives, first Elizabeth daughter of Sr Christopher CLAPHAM of Beamsley, Kt. , who departed this life 1 day of December in the year 1673; secondly, Elizabeth daughter of Sir Edmund JENINGS Kt, with whom he lyes buried in the Collegiate Church at Ripon.
By Paul Edmond Beckwith
Roger Beckwith of Northcot and Aldborough, York, which he purchased from Sir Wm. Gee in 1597; buried in Pontferact in 1634; he married twice; his first wife was Dorothy, daughter of Currer of Leeds
1) Thomas of Beverly, line extinct
2) Catherine, married Thomas Norton of Everton
3) Margarette, baptized 1607
4) Anne, married J. Robinson of Bolton-upon-Swale
5) Barbara, married Matthew Lockwood of Sowerby Thursk
Robert Beckwith of Northcot and Aldborough; his second wife was Susannah, daughter of Brakenbury of Sellahy, Co. Durham; she died October 1670, and was buried at Skellborough.
2) William of Thurcroft in Laughton; died without issue March 27th, and was buried at Laughton in 1678; devised Thurcroft to his nephew William; he married Margarette, daughter of Bernard Ellis; she was buried at Laughton October 5th, 16765.
4) Susannah; married John Aulaby of Aulaby
5) Judith, married Wm. Parker, M.D. of London
6) Hester; married John Odinsell of Odinsell.
Thank you,Virginia Mylius