MORE INFORMATION FOUND ON:
& FIND A GRAVE
A History Of Uniontown: the county seat..
Author: Hadden, James, 1845-1923
Akron, Ohio: Printed by the New Werner Co., 1913
JACOB BEESON, a brother of HENRY BEESON and one of the founders of Uniontown, was born near Martinsburg, VA, on June 1, 1741, and was a tanner by trade.His wife was ELIZABETH HEDGES,member of a distinguished family.It is related that he refused to accompany his brother, HENRY, at the time of his migration to this section, but came out a year or two later and located on a tract of 251 acres which was patented to him under the name of “Pointer,” April 1, 1786, adjoining that of HENRY on the north, and here erected his log house just one mile west of town.JACOB soon purchased from his brother HENRY, 251 acres of his Mount Vernon tract, including his improvements made in 1768, at the price of one dollar per acre, and moved into the house built by HENRY, and established a tannery at a fine spring a short distance east of his house.This (pg. 15) tannery he conducted for many years, and the business was quite remunerative.He then built the present Gilmore mansion on the knoll overlooking the town and affording a fine view of the mountains in the distance.Into this MR. BEESON moved his family and here resided until his death.
Born June 1, 1741 Frederick Co., VA.
Died Dec. 16, 1818 Uniontown, Fayette Co., PA.
Brother of: (last name BEESON) CHARITY, HANNAH, EDWARD, PETER, HENRY, MESSER, JOHN & RICHARD
Father: RICHARD BEESON, b. Oct. 15, 1708 in Nottingham Twp., Chester Co., PA; d. Nov. 1, 1748 in Frederick Co., VA
Mother: ANN (BROWN) BEESON, b. May 28, 1711 in Nottingham Twp., Chester Co., PA; d. Nov. 1, 1748in Frederick Co., VA; married RICHARD Nov. 15, 1730 in East Nottingham Twp., PA
Grandfather: RICHARD BEESON, b. Oct. 10, 1684 in Nottingham, New Castle, Delaware; d. Jan. 1, 1777 in Guilford, NC; son of EDWARD & RACHEL (PENNINGTON) BEESON; daughter of JOHN & FRANCES (VANE) GRUBB
Grandmother: CHARITY (GRUBB) BEESON, b. Sept. 29, 1687 in Brandywine, Chester Co., PA; d. Nov. 22, 1761 in Guilford, NC
(FOR MORE INFO SEE:
JACOB, son of RICHARD & ANN BEESON, married ELIZABETH HEDGES in 1768 Uniontown, PA.
JACOB BEESON was known as “Jacob of the Hill,” (for the fine home he built on a hill) and his brother HENRY was known as “Henry of the Mill” (for HENRY established a Griss Mill in Fayette County).He and his brother both came to Fayette County in the late 1760's.
ELIZBETH HEDGES BEESON, wife of JACOB BEESON
Born Nov. 17, 1743.
Died Sept. 7, 1825.
*Wife of my first cousin, 8 times removed.
Both Jacob & Elizabeth's remains relocated to Union/Oak Grove Cemetery from the Old Historic Public Presbyterian Cemetery.
Children of JACOB & ELIZABETH BEESON:
LYDIA, JONAS, JANE, ELIZABETH, JACOB S., REBECCA, MARY, HANNAH, AGNES, NANCY A., RACHEL, HENRY H.
-AGNES BEESON, b. Nov. 22, 1782 in Martinsburg, Berkeley, WV; d. 1867; m. JAMES BEESON (1770-1837) on Oct. 4, 1813 in Frederick Co., VA; children: ELIZABETH (b. 1813; m. JAMES DAWSON), HENRY MENDENHALL (b. May 15 (OR 1), 1815 VA; d. Jan. 27, 1903 Brownsville, Licking, OH; m. SUSAN DENNY on Feb. 18, 1844 Uniontown, PA), JACOB (b. Jan. 21,1819; d. Aug. 11, 1905 Wooster, Wayne, OH; m. ELIZA DAWSON), RACHEL (b. 1824; m. ?CRANE), EDWARD (b. Aug. 25, 1825 PA; d. Aug. 24, 1911; m. AMELIA HUFFSMITH),DAVID RIDGEWAY (b. 1828; m. ELIZABETH SANGSTON), JANE (b. April 8, 1817 PA; d. Aug. 23, 1893 Clinton, Wayne, OH; m. HARVEY MESSMORE), JAMES (b. 1827; d. ? in Texas; m. NANCY ANN REID)